Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 07-18-2006, 11:34 PM

Default 1969 Yenko Nova emblem placement

I have seen two types of 427 fender emblems on 69 Yenko Novas an I am wondering which of the two is technically correct, or could it have been done both ways? Also, did Don put Yenko emblems on the fenders or could this have been done both ways as well?
1. Tom's Lemans Blue Yenko Nova Uses a 427 emblem that surrounds the marker light and has no Yenko emblems on the fenders.

2. Other Yenko Nova's I've seen have used the yenko 427 emblem and it was placed in front of the marker light and the top of the emblem is even with the top of the marker light.

3.This car and the ralley green car have the Yenko emblems on the fender.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:07 AM

Default Re: 1969 Yenko Nova emblem placement

I believe either way could be considered "correct". Originally, the marker light bezel on the fender would have had "396" in it, so to use the separate 427 emblems, Yenko had to buy new chrome bezels (without engine designation) for the marker lights in addition to the 427 badges that would need to cover the extra hole left in the fender from the removal of the 396 bezel, plus drill a second hole for the 427 emblem. (not to mention the potential for paint blemishes left behind from the removal of the larger 396 bezel) To use the GM 427 marker bezels they just replaced the original 396 ones which utilized the same holes. For this reason I would say the way Tom Clary's car is done would obviously be easier for them to do. Not saying some cars weren't done the other way as well, but usually Yenko went the easiest/cheapest route possible for stuff like this, so my guess would be the way his car is done was probably the more common configuration. As for the Yenko fender emblems, it wasn't too uncommon for some cars to not get them, including Camaros and Chevelles.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I would guess the cheapest way is like the RG car. They would have had plenty of 427 chrome emblems from Camaros and Chevelles. If you take the 396 emblem off. There are only two holes. The rear side marker bezel fits perfect. The 427 markers on the blue car were made for full size cars. They did not follow the nova fender contour. I agree they could have done it either way. But the RG way is cheapest. Earl
Old 07-19-2006, 01:31 AM

It was done both ways, we have original pics of both bezels being used - and both were garnet red cars for a coincidence
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 07-19-2006, 02:22 AM

When I got my car, it was void of all emblems, but with what we felt was the original sheetmetal. The extra holes in the tail panel were there to attach the 427 and Yenko emblems, the holes on the trunk lid where the Van emblem had been were there, even the holes for the tack moniter were present on the firewall, but on the front fenders no extra holes for Yenko emblems nor for seperate 427 emblem. Thus, we went with the big car 427 emblems. IMO, this would be the easier and less expensive, as all would be required would be two 427 sidemarker lamps and the time it would take to replace the 396 ones for the 427 ones. BTW, the fit is right on. If not mistaken, as they do today, in 1969, the Nova and the big cars shared the same 396 front maker lanp assembly.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the information. I was confused when I first saw the two different emblem placements on the 427 novas but now I understand, and am thinking along the same lines as Joe and Tom about the cost effectiveness of the two choices. It would make sense for Yenko to go the cheaper way since he had so many cars coming out of his dealership. Very intersting info guys.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:37 AM

They are so cool. My favorite's of the Yenko family. I just love em!