Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-07-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Looking for a Duece that I spotted in Syracuse.

Guy's, a question for the board members. About 8 to 10 years ago maybe a bit longer, in the middle of the winter, while sitting at an intersection in East Syracuse, (central NY) a Orange Yenko Deuce drove past me through the light. As I looked up and take notice I'm thinking, boy did I really just see a Yenko Nova in the snow drive past me. Well I did. I immediate took off after it but lost the car after I got caught at a light in a busy intersection. I was bummed. Anyhow I thought what the heck would a guy be doing driving a car like this in the winter. As I remember the car was definitely orange with the white Yenko stripe kit. It had big snow tires on the rear and was heavily rotted out. I recall that the rear quarters were about gone from the ground up, almost even with the rear wheel opening. I'm thinking darn, I would never see this car again, and for a long time I didn't. A few years later while driving down West Taft Rd, a typical suburban road North of Syracuse that is only a couple miles from my house and Bresee Chevy, I saw the rotted out Orange Yenko again, this time sitting in a driveway along Taft Rd. I was on my way to a doctors appointment with my daughter and thought, holy crap their it is. I was pumped, it appeared to be still on the road. I figured after the appointment that I would stop and see the car. As fate would have it the car was gone an hour or so after I drove to go see it. Like a fool I should have stopped and asked the homeowner at the time about the car but I didn't. And I thought well maybe I will see it again in the area, but I no dice. While on my way this week to an area home center, I was thinking about the Yenko I saw a few years earlier at this house and decided to stop in and ask whoever was at home about the car. The first time I stopped no one was around. Upon a second visit I met a woman at the door and explained my story. She told me very politely that her ex-husband had many car friends but could not put a finger on the cars owner or name. Her ex had relocated from the area with a local company so calling him was out. In short I'm wondering if anyone on this board knew about the car, bought the car and if so can share some info about it. As I said it's been several years now and I'm certain the car was the real deal. Orange with a hood tach, Yenko stripes, and heavy rot. I attend all the local shows and have not seen the car anywhere. I have asked my friends in the parts department at Bresee if anyone has been in trying to get whatever part are still available through GM, but they tell me that no has. I'm curious who now owns this car. Any thoughts or help would be great. I am wondering if it was sold at Bresee.

Wacky
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-07-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Looking for a Duece that I spotted in Syracuse.

Bresee was a Yenko network dealer, so it could have originally came from there... Marlin is the man who would have more info (probably has more on the car than the guy who owned it!) I know the guy I bought my Deuce from in NY is currently working on a Hugger Orange car, Marlin, is this perhaps the same one?
Old 05-07-2004, 07:02 PM

Wacky,

The car you saw was in fact a Yenko Deuce sold out of Bresee. The car was an automatic and had lived in the North Syracuse area for some years. The car was originally owned by the son of the President of Skaneateles Saving Bank and was later sold to a George Grooms of Auburn, NY. He then sold it to the Gentlemen in North Syracuse. George Lyons currently owns that car and it is fully restored.

Mike
Old 05-07-2004, 07:09 PM

Cool.. I have seen the car. based on the description of the car in its previous condition, I assume the stripes were originally white? Marlin, do you happen to know the break down of stripe colors on the Deuces per paint color... white vs. black?
Old 05-07-2004, 07:26 PM

Wacky,

While we're on the subject of Deuces in Syracuse...did you ever see a yellow with black stripe Deuce in the North Syracuse area? In '92 or '93 I spotted one at the NAPA store on Route 11. The guy said it was real but it didn't have the original motor. The car looked real solid. I didn't ask anymore questions and I never saw the car again?? I was told that a Yellow Deuce went to a Seneca Falls, NY person but I don't know if this was the car.

Mike
Old 05-07-2004, 07:37 PM

This is all pretty neat stuff! I would love to see an Orange Deuce with white stripes. That would look cool. Orange was my ideal Deuce color....oh well maybe I can get another one!

What is amazing is that there seems to be no Yenko car that can escape people on this board and peoples memories are real good.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:10 PM

That is great. I knew I wasn't loosing it yet. I only wish that I would have stopped. That's three Yenko's That I have come across in CNY in 15 years. I worked for Bresee and had heard all the stories and met many Yenko owners and wannabe owners. As for the one at the local NAPA. I have not seen it yet. I'm still chasing after another barnyard Yenko in Syracuse. Mike are you the one with the ad in the Post standard ?. If anyone can post a picture of this restored car would make my day. Mike check your mail tonight.

Wacky
Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Mike is correct about the orange deuce story. George Lyons placed an ad in a NY newspaper about wanting a Yenko Camaro. The owner of the orange deuce contacted him to see if he wanted a Yenko Nova, George bought the car. This happened quite some time ago, probably more than 10 years. The car was indeed sold out of Bresee, along with about 2-3 other deuces, one of which is found. Another got slammed by a snowplow while on the dealer lot, not sure if it was while the car was new on Bresee's lot or if it was a used car on another lot. We were told it was totalled, not a surprise!

As for stripe color, it is unclear as to whether Huggar Orange received both stripe colors. We would have to confirm this Bresee car with the orig. owner to know, all other orange cars found to date have been black stripe cars. In fact, the only deuce color confirmed to have come with both stripe colors is Citrus Green, and of the 5 cars found, 1 is white striped and 4 are black striped. However, we know that the Draggin Deuce was also white striped.

It is very possible that a sun yellow deuce may have been in that area at one time. The original owners son used to live in the suburban Rochester area, and the car may have been visiting. If it was actually a gobi beige car (sometimes called light yellow), it is anyones guess.

Wacky, I think you passed on your find of a lifetime, advertised in the local pennypincher! One of my NY buddies was in to see it too, Charlie is one happy camper
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 05-07-2004, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the confirmation on the stripe colors Marlin... I thought I remembered you telling me that each paint color (with the exception of Citrus Green) were generally built with one color stripes only. Original or not, Hugger Orange with white stripes looks killer on a Deuce IMO. I also think black stripes on a Fathom Blue or Forest Green car would have been cool too...
Old 05-07-2004, 10:07 PM

As far as strip colors. I'm 110% sure that the car had white strips. It stood out from the crowd. Obviously when I seen that car it was in an original un-restored state. What color strips are on it know ?. A photo would be good. While I'm on the subject of Yenko Dueces, did anyone purchase a '70 Duece from a junk yard in Central Square NY in the past couple of years. Blue with black stripes. It's was owned by a fella in Syracuse that ran a radiator shop. Just another car that got away.

Oh hey Marlin, It's my third find of a lifetime. My last find found it's way to Supercar Workshop, and then onto Atlanta.

Very interesting so far. Thanks for the info everyone.

Wacky