Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,418 Times in 764 Posts
Default Me and My Brother's 69 Camaros back in the day

Back in the late 70's these cars were just...cars.

I was 14 when I got my first car - a '69 Z11 Indy Pace Car in 1977.

Let me frame this story in the right context: My dad was kind of confused seeing he and mom had five kids to tend to. Dad and I were out one day and saw this 69 Pace Car at a used car dealer and we decided to buy it (I had saved up enough money over the prior 14 birthdays being one of those annoying kids who always put their savings in a piggy bank and didn't waste it on stupid stuff). We get it home and my mom immediately says to him: "You know it's his older brother who just turned 16, your son with car is only 14 - remember???"

Well, Dad kind of forgot which kid was which so he had to start hunting and my brother ended up getting a Daytona Yellow SS396 Camaro within a few weeks. That car was really cool and scary fast. It was originally a 325 horse four speed car but the prior owner had converted the top end to 375 specs with the rectangular port heads and intake/carb. It was a Van Nuys built car from California originally and had the earlier vinyl top that went down the A-pillers. I still remember the seller's name: Vinny Racalbuto in Orange, Connecticut. My brother ended up selling the car to a man named Guy Ripa in Wallingford Connecticut several years later ...in order to buy a '77 Monte Carlo that he painted Candy Brandywine.

Here's some photos from 1979 when he got it and few months later when me and him drove our cars out to the 1979 Street Machine Nationals in Indy. I had a set of three deuces on an Edelbrock manifold on the NOM 350 in my car.

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-24-2014, 07:20 PM

Thanked 3,896 Times in 1,005 Posts
Default Re: Me and My Brother's 69 Camaros back in the day

Cool photos. Your underhood detail and restorations skills have improved dramatically over the years..... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 12-24-2014, 07:29 PM

Pretty cool.
How much did you buy the Pace car for?
Old 12-24-2014, 07:32 PM

I bought the Z11 for $2700 and my Dad bought the SS396 for $3500.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:19 PM

Steve, I like the additional horn on your pacer. (or alarm siren) [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img]

Dicky [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Everyone had one of those 1970's alarm systems back then. Giant siren under the hood and usually a big, ugly key cylinder drilled into the middle of the fender. (I used an existing hole in the subframe to put the key cylinder in. Kind of hard to locate in the dark but it saved the fender.)
Old 12-24-2014, 09:01 PM

Really Cool Stuff Steve !
my brother dad and I had something similar going on around the same time as well..... $$$$ priceless memories

Tom, Joe &amp; Big Joe (dad)
Old 12-26-2014, 01:33 AM

I just did a little net surfing and I think Guy Ripa actually still owns the Camaro, though it may have been turned into a race car in the intervening decades with a full roll cage, a monster motor on nitrous, and an automatic trans. Sure would be neat to see it again, or even get the car back minus the drivetrain. Now THAT would really be fun to irritate my brother with. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

I found some photos from when I saw it at Guy's house in the early 1980's. Already had a monster motor in it. (My brother went through several engines while he had it. Several transmissions and driveshafts too). [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I now remember the tally on that Street Machine Nationals trip in 1979: two clutch setups, (one clutch went bad in Ohio from being adjusted wrong, then the replacement went bad from a broken bellcrank ball on the block that caused the clutch fork to jam into the pressure plate, crack the M21 input housing and pour gear lube onto the disc. And the most fun was replacing the brand new camshaft (lobe worn off) and adjusting the solid lifters in the Marriot Hotel parking lot in Indy with a crowd of drunken onlookers helping til the wee hours of the morning. Ah, those were the good old days! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Oh, and I almost forgot. I abandoned him in Indy after he ran off with the maid at our hotel and took our trip money with him (and her). Ahhh, but I had the gas credit cards...and this was the middle of gas rationing time back in the day. It took him a week to get the 800 miles home because he could only fill up his tank on odd numbered days. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2014, 02:56 AM

Thanked 1,414 Times in 681 Posts

Great pics and memories; you guys were crazy, lol.
John 10:30
Old 12-26-2014, 02:33 PM

Oh, and I noticed a typo: Those initial photos in the snow were taken the moment my brother got the Camaro home in 1977 (not 1979) - notice that lack of license plates. Just in case you guys were fact checking my material.