Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Default Opinions on Stampings

I located and purchased a 1969 Camaro 396/375hp car that is supposed to have the original born with engine and trans.

The trim tag shows the car as a 02D - 4th week of February car. The engine is stamped T0210JH - Feb 10th 396/375hp Manual Special High Performance and the vin is stamped by the oil filter. I have not gotten a chance to get the trans or rear stampings yet but will have them in a few days.

What are your opinions on the pad and vin stampings? I am attaching the trim tag as well showing it as a X22 garnet red w. 711 base interior. The tag appears to have good rivets and does not appear to have been removed.

Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 25745.jpg 25744.jpg 25743.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Opinions on Stampings

I´m sure the experts here will chime in, but I would get ahold of Kurt S from CRG...or maybe he will chime in here...

I will say that the pad stamp sure looks well aged...and also that is the clearest vin stamp I have seen...most that I have seen are barely legible...

but I am no expert on these stampings...

sounds like a cool car if it turns out to be real!! good luck !!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:57 PM

I have a picture of an original L78 motor stamped seven days past this one. A Norwood car as well. On the one I have, the head must have been in place for them to stamp as you can see the angle it was stamped at.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,693 Posts

-----A picture of the pad with just a bit of cleaning so as to try to judge the broach marks would help. Nothing too abrasive. Id have to say that things look OK so far, though......Bill S
Old 03-09-2011, 04:13 PM

I will see if I can clean up the pad or even get the head off and take a few more pics. The pad I feel pretty confident about - the vin stamping does look rather deep to me. I does show the typical varying depth where the lower portion the stamping is not as deep as the top but I am still suspect that it appears too deep.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,693 Posts

----The depth isnt an issue with me, but I guess someone else may disagree.....Bill S
Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM

On the VIN stampings by the filter - is it common for them to be so straight - meaning that all the charactors line up so well? Also, was it ever seen where they would use an &quot;I&quot; instead of the &quot;1&quot; like they would do with other stampings? I have reviewed a few other vin stampings and the one thing that I see that is consistant is that the are all inconsistant [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2011, 04:51 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: talwell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have reviewed a few other vin stampings and the one thing that I see that is consistant is that the are all inconsistant [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] </div></div>

I agree...you should try to compare to other blocks within the same time frame..there seems to be &quot;somewhat&quot; more consistency with motors stamped within a few days.

also the trans VIN stamp should have been stamped with the same fonts/characters...(I am not sure if that is so on 100% of the cars)...if they are different, I would be suspicious...
Old 03-09-2011, 04:51 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a picture of an original L78 motor stamped seven days past this one. A Norwood car as well. On the one I have, the head must have been in place for them to stamp as you can see the angle it was stamped at. </div></div>

How about posting a pic?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:56 PM

This is an L78 we just purchased and sold recently. The engine is being rebuilt, I can get a vin picture when it gets back here.
rusty l78 engine code