Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 05-14-2010, 08:19 AM

Default who are the MAC users out there?

How reliable are used IMACs that are have only been used for 9 months?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Default Re: who are the MAC users out there?

I like mine. I needed something different to say the least. I was tired of all the anti virus programs and how slow they were getting.

Jim
12.24 @ 114.30 PSMCDR 2010
Old 05-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I have a Mac Book Pro - roughly 15 months old at this point. If you're looking for a headache free computing experience, there is no better machine. It is sophisticated and eloquent in a way no PC will ever match. I run Microsoft Office 2009 for my business documents (Word, PPT, Excel, etc) but other than that, it is all Mac.

Jeff - these Macs are near impossible to break but with that said, good security and peace of mind comes with the Apple Care Warranty. Mac factory has a 1 year warranty but for about $300 or so, you can get an extended 3 year warranty that is bullet proof. Read up on NewEgg.com and Google search the iMac issue. I would imagine they're far and few between but due diligence never hurt.

-Dan
Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 PM

Just like anything else, it helps to know where it came from and what it was used for; personal or professional. I use both and perfer my mac.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 PM

professional
Apple 24" iMAC 2.8 BHz/4GB//1TB/512 MB Invidia Graphics card
comes loaded with
OSX Snow Leopard
iLife 09
iWork 09
Microsoft Office 2008
Adove CS 5 Master Collection
Final Cut Sudio 3
Logic Studio
Aperture 3

My only problem is though the above programs are said to be loaded you dont get the discs. my take is he is selling to upgrade to a new 27" iMAC and will use those disc to load his new machine. The programs are what I have been wanting for doing some digital media and I figure the price of the machine is a lot lot lower than what it cost new without the programs.

also comes with Applecare that expires 6/2011

should i really be worried about no disc outside of the OSX 10.5 and iLife 08 he will let go with the machine

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-14-2010, 05:30 PM

should be great

you will wonder why you put up with all the BS that goes with a PC after you start using it

and you will wonder why they think windows 7 is so earth shattering, macs have had all those features for ages ... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

yeah, we are Mac / Apple people for decades

Old 05-14-2010, 05:55 PM

I'm with Jim. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img] I've used (and continue to use) various Macs over the years (yikes...it's been over two decades for me too). Problems have been minimal to say the least. My I-Mac is bulletproof. Ditto with my I-Book. My daughter finally wore out her own I-Book after a gazzillion years in University and a bunch more using it for work. Let's just say it was used and abused. The hinges finally wore out [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

I don't think you can go wrong.

Wayne
Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 AM

The only drawback I see is the &quot;loaded&quot; software. You apparently will not get the licenses for it. Discs is no problem really those can be borrowed but are pretty useless without the license codes.

Adobe CS5 has only been out for a few weeks and is locked to two computers. Meaning if he leaves one open to this computer he can only use it on one other computer.

Going with a Mac will make you see the &quot;light&quot;, you'll never want to go back to Windows. There are a few things that are done differently but in a more logical way. But you will learn quickly. The Mac community has a lot of sites with helpful people and for some its even like a religious sect.

Ask for the serialnumber to check with Apple Care if it has been reported as stolen. In some cases they will know that.
There is a function in MacOSX that will Find your Mac over the internet to prevent theft.

Just as with cars, there are a few things to look out for when buying a used computer.

About the reliability, I bought a MacBook for my daughter when she started at the university four years ago. She is still using it without any problems, all her classmates who has had PCs have changed at least once in those four years, some even twice.

One tip: Buy an extra harddrive and use the builtin backup software TimeMachine, it will save your day when you accidently delete or overwrite a file. I know from experience [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

Jan
My Car My Book My Photos
Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM

I've now had my iMac for 8 years, and while it's getting a little slow for some modern sites, I still haven't had a single problem with it. Why I buy another computer, which hopefully will be relatively soon, it will definitely be another iMac.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

You should be just fine with the hardware. I've worked with Mac's and PC's for many years and prefer Mac's overall. I am also running Windows on my Intel Macbook, but don't use it a whole lot. I had to have it for specific programs for work. Windows actually runs better on my Mac than most PC's I've used! Both of my Mac's are factory refurbished units and have run flawlessly for years. I do a lot of my own upgrades and maintenance which helps. In regards to the software that is loaded on the drive you might buy, that may become a problem down the road. As mentioned above, not being the registered owner can be problematic when you try to do upgrades. Sometimes you may need to supply the license/registration number. Unless he gives them to you, you may be out of luck. You may have to eventually buy your own copy. You can probably coast along for a while, but just be aware that it may catch up.