Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 PM

Default Original brake drum ID tags.

While pulling the front wheels off my 67 Impala SS396, I was surprised to find these paper tags(see attachment) still in place and in excellent condition. Looks to be made of a card stock paper. Both front drums had the tags intact. The car is a low mile original and the drums were never removed from the looks of the tags.

Just thought I would throw this out there for the detail freaks.

MB
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 431208-april2003(Medium).jpg 431140-67ImpalabrakedrumIDtags(Medium).jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,820 Times in 1,625 Posts
Default Re: Original brake drum ID tags.

-----Mike,,,You could be right about the drums never being removed but then why would the keeper washers be gone. You can see the three studs that had them and they appear to be missing. Really clean, original car in any event.......Bill S
Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 AM

Hello Mike,

Very cool. So there was a tag on both front hubs? Hmmm good to know. Do you know the width and length? Is the card stock like a manila folder only thicker?

These are similar to the 1970 rear paper hang tags. 68 and up used stickers on the brake backing plates on the front.

Greg
Old 12-01-2009, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-----Mike,,,You could be right about the drums never being removed but then why would the keeper washers be gone. You can see the three studs that had them and they appear to be missing. Really clean, original car in any event.......Bill S

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point about the retainers, I hadn't thought of that. Just looked like the tags would have just fallen off if the drums were removed and I doubt anyone would have cared to keep them. Perhaps the drums were removed so long ago that the adhesive(or tape as it appears) had enough stick left to hold them to the drums while they were removed and installed. The internal brake components look absolutely pristine. I carefully removed the tags and put them in a safe place with the other original docs pertaining to this car. I have found more original detail on this car than just about any car I have ever owned. In many ways, it'a a better preserved survivor than my 2,800 mile Hemi Challenger.

Seems like every day I find something new with this car. If anyone wishes, I can take measurements of the tags when I get back to the shop in the AM.

MB
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2009, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone wishes, I can take measurements of the tags when I get back to the shop in the AM.

[/ QUOTE ]

I for one would be interested in those measurements Mike, just for future reference. If you could send or post a close up picture for colour identification would also be very helpfull.

Can't say I've seen anything like that in the past, although most of my experiences are with 69 cars. Thanks for posting the information.