Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default NY Times Gets Opinions on GM Killing Pontiac-

Link:
http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.c...not-just-cars/
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 AM

Default Re: NY Times Gets Opinions on GM Killing Pontiac-

Colin, allow me to welcome you to America and its clueless citizens who happen to be clueless about Detroit. I often read the blogs there to see what people are saying, and it's often depressing. There's a certain hatred that is based on misinformation about Detroit's products. I'm not a Buy America guy, but in most cases I can't think of a good reason why anyone shouldn't consider an American car.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 AM

Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,015 Posts

I just bought a 09 GMC 2500 Duramax and it is great....
Old 02-18-2009, 07:27 AM

Since 99 two Malibu's, a Impala, a Lucerne and my 01 2500HD 8.1 Alley...........No warranty issues

Mike
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 AM

Good article Colin. Now, let's get Jim Wangers back in the driver's seat and show America why they need to buy a big bad Poncho before it is too late!!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote from the article-- "When a brand is shuttered, consumers are apt to feel that their loyalty was misplaced —or worse, that the company doesn’t know what it’s doing"

Exactly how many of us felt when GM replaced the Camaro with the SSR in '03. Sad but GM has no one to blame now. They have to account for a string of bad business decisions.

I feel really bad for Pontiac.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:04 PM

dunp saturn and hummer and even GMC. But keep Pontiac..

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:02 PM

I dont thick you can place all the blame on GM. To me its a combination (so called perfect storm) where the problem lies with GM's business policy, Labors overburden and Washingtons over regulation. I think GM missed the boat with the small car movement and allowed foreign cars to grab a foot in the market, even a late start would have been better than the lethargic pace they had in that area.

I have never owned anything but a GM until my last truck which was a Ford.I have to say I have been happy with all of them.

I think part of the problem is people no longer realize that a car needs to be maintained. I think the public in general treats the like a TV set or other electronic appliance which you can use for years without maintenance. Then when something goes wrong they dont understand the concept of wearing parts.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 PM

Somewhere in the articles its stated that the downfall of GM started when the marketers took over from the Engineers.
I would not repeat that to Jim Wangers face. The downfall started when the bean counters decided how many brands they could squeeze out of a platform (circa 1980 Citation,Firenza,T2000,Cimeron and whatever Buick had).It became known as badge engineering.
Yes ,we all have brand Loyalty and as a 38 year Oldsmobile Man we feel the pain as much as Pontiac followers may now.
All the Us automakers have had their share of poorly thought out products or too fast to market.Each (foreign and domestic)manufacturer can hang their head in shame on trying to pass of some junk on us over the years.
I find some irony in the fact that its Washington that the car co's are looking to for help. It was Washington that GM feared in the 70's when they had 60% market share and were concerned that the Government would force GM to break up because it was monopolozing the market.
Who is the group that told the car manufactures to put on bigger bumpers,get better fuel mileage, use more plastic,find alternative fuels.
As for bailouts, why arn't the unions pension fund offering financing, why arn't the oil companies offering financing?
The car co's have to look at their lineups and see what is selling and make some hard decisions on the rest, that is a fact of life in products and marketing. The Packard,Edsel,Desoto,Rambler,Studebaker,Oldsmobile and Plymouth are all gone and their will be others.

Paul
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 AM

Maybe some brands began to become redundant when they went away from proprietary drivetrains.

Does it make sense to do a Camaro and a Firebird w/the same Chevy motor? Not anymore, it seems.

That said, if they did a G8 coupe, dropped in an LS7 and called it a GTO ... make mine grenadier red ...