Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 AM

Default 69 COPO Camaro barn find

Last week, I was very fortunate to be contacted by a reputable sYc member, who would like to remain nameless, asking me if I was still looking for a 69 COPO Camaro . When I responded that I was, a name and number was given to me and I immediately called. After asking questions and receiving a few pictures confirming what the car was, it took me all of two seconds to commit to the purchase and book my flight from California to Ohio. I was told the car did not have it's original M22 or BE rear but that was not a concern to me as I realized how these cars were driven in their day. I was just happy it had it's original engine and Protect-O-Plate.
The “car chasing” drama almost started immediately. While in transit, I get a txt from the owner that someone had stopped by driving a truck with Illinois plates and tried to buy the car, offering more than what I had bought it for…. I thought I may have a problem but fortunately the owners of the car are stand up people and told me no matter what anyone offered, we had a deal. Nonetheless, I was anxious to get to the car.

I arrived in Ohio on the morning of Friday the 13th and (hoping it wasn’t an omen) hooked up with a good buddy who is a 69 Camaro owner and headed out together toward the Ohio River. Though I had only talked to a few buddies about the car, it appeared the word was getting out. Calls were now coming in every 30 minutes to either myself, the owner or the owners father from people who we did not know, asking if they could buy the car. We had no idea how they even got our names and phone numbers! With the news of the truck showing up and now all the calls coming in, I found my foot getting heavier and heavier on the rentals gas pedal – I had to get there and fast I thought.

When I got to the car in Gallipolis, Ohio the owners said they were still receiving numerous phone calls some of which they are still receiving today… I guess this proves timing is everything. I travel a lot and had just gotten back from racing in Dubai and had I been gone, someone else may have been posting their own story right now, but as luck would have it all worked out well for me .

While we were waiting for my transporter to show up t hat was some 20 min behind us, we noticed a truck and trailer pass the property and pull off to the side of the road. The minute my rig showed up all of the sudden everything changed…. the truck and trailer parked up the road took off and everything got a little more quite as if someone was watching. At least our phones stopped ringing…. for a while anyways. We loaded up the car, a family owned X44 with only 7504 original miles!

Lawrence Clark, the original owner, had wrecked his big block El Camino and with the insurance money went to Hairston Chevrolet in Chesapeake , Ohio on Oct 20th 1969 and bought a Garnet Red with Black standard 69 COPO Camaro.

He put a trailer hitch on it to tow his motorcycle, and like a true road man mounted a CB radio under the glove box with a magnetic antennae on the truck … the antennae is still in the trunk and the trailer hitch is still mounted ….. Unfortunately Lawrence passed on and the car went to his brother-in-law where the unopened MN 427 was removed and put on an engine stand. The car remained in a barn for over 30 years … with a West Virginia plate last registered in 1978 .
I am not sure if I am going to restore the car right away or take Charley’s advice and just put the engine in it and drive it like it is…. But I am very happy to be the caretaker of this car for along time to come. While in Ohio, I received a call letting me know that someone actually had the original M22 and BE from my car and would be willing to sell them back to me! Hopefully, I will be able to re-unite the M22 and BE to my car shortly. They are still out there boys…enjoy the pictures!

Car with brother-in-law of original owner in spot where it was found:

Car sees daylight for the first time in 30 years:

Manufacturers decal still intact and legible:

Speedo showing original 7504 miles:

Undisturbed trim tag on firewall:

Undisturbed BB heater cover with original hoses and clamps:

Original Protect-O-Plate:

Original engine sitting amongst a pile of car parts in a shed for decades:

MN Stamp on engine pad:

VIN stamp on engine:

Pic of trailer hitch and 1978 WV tags:

Loading engine on transporter:

Loading car on transporter:

Old 02-18-2009, 04:23 AM

Default Re: 69 COPO Camaro barn find

Engine pad

Old 02-18-2009, 04:28 AM

LET ME BE THE FIRST TO CONGRATULATE YOU ON A TERRIFIC FIND!!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 AM

Congratulations on a great find. Good luck with it.

66 GTO, Tri power, Fact. A/C, 4 speed
65 Corvette, L-76, Conv., Fact. A/C
63 Corvette SWC
Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Well Sh*t...GREAT acquisition!...CONGRATS!...the drama makes for a great story doesn't it..."Charley" aye?...

How do you get on the official "Looking for a COPO" list? I've been looking for a project/driver car for the last 6 years!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 AM

Thanked 4,583 Times in 675 Posts

Great find, and a great story.

Timing is everything, congratulations!

1966 Chevy Caprice 427-390
2012 Chevy Camaro RS Convertible]

Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 AM

Thanked 6,106 Times in 2,959 Posts

Nice find! I read the post on camaros.net and wondered who the car had been sold to.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:48 AM

Thanked 5,371 Times in 1,884 Posts

Van...that just flat out rocks! Congrats to you

I think that you should do as Charley suggested...get the engine ready and drive it around for a while after you clean it up!

I think you should make a side trip to AZ and bring it to Pavillions as well

Can I get a ride in it?

Oh...and before any one else asks (including Charley)...
Old 02-18-2009, 04:52 AM

great find
Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 AM

Very cool, congrats