Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-27-2008, 05:15 PM

Default Re: russo and steel chop job camaro copo

[ QUOTE ]
My legal fees for this session are $25. You can pay by joining this website. Operators are standing by, Master Card and Visa Accepted...makes a great Christmas Gift!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez Steve - those are Jersey prices! Can you give those of
us below the Mason-Dixon line a discount?

Nuch
Old 04-27-2008, 05:32 PM

if the car was sold from here on as a *tribute* or *clone* car, would that end the legality issue?

JH
Old 04-27-2008, 05:41 PM

I think they should just "brand" the ownership as a rebody, just like they do with cars that have been "totalled" in a crash. I would not consider this a "clone" or a "tribute" as it was made from a geni car. For whatever reason, it has had the body changed and the OEM VIN was place on this shell. I would say it's worth more then a clone, but not as much as a OEM COPO, somewhere in between.

I would rather see a rebody to save the car as such, a rebody of the OEM COPO or whatever, but the info should be up front. Like if the car was a total rust bucket. But at least it can be saved. Just let the market know therefore the the $$$ would reflect.

We as a group should lobby the lawmakers to do something like branding the ownership on a rebody for whatever reason, rust, crash, fire, at least it would save these from the crusher.
'70 W30 convert TRIBUTE
'70 CANADIAN Nova SS396 L78 Pro Street
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'69 FIREBIRD Tubbed Racecar
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 PM

I agree, they should have a salvage title...

Mike
Old 04-27-2008, 08:45 PM

Hey Drew - your market segment is telling you something. Change your business paradigm, and think about how you could help us clean up the hobby. How about this: YOU set a standard of disclosure for all of the cars that pass through your house. If the seller's representation meets YOUR standard, and you offer the car, then everyone wins - the seller gets the sale, you make money in your business, and the buyer gets what was represented. After all, the buyer is paying the house money as well as the seller. I'm sure you have all sorts of knee jerk reactions as to why this simple system won't work. I will make a prediction, however, RS can be the absolute best, most respected auction house in American, bar none, if YOU will lead with integrity. If not, the Feds will pass laws, regs, and fees to govern our hobby. In addition, a knowledgeable customer base with the means to buy your cars, will run from your show (if indeed they haven't already) So how about it, Drew, if you love the hobby as you say you do, step up, and help us keep this thing alive and well. Bob
Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,753 Times in 2,180 Posts

Rebody and salvage titled cars are totally different things and the two should never be confused as something similar..
This is the grey area the rebody shysters have been riding all along so we certainly shouldn't condone it much less make it legal!.

~ Pete
Old 04-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
I think they should just "brand" the ownership as a rebody, just like they do with cars that have been "totalled" in a crash. I would not consider this a "clone" or a "tribute" as it was made from a geni car. For whatever reason, it has had the body changed and the OEM VIN was place on this shell. I would say it's worth more then a clone, but not as much as a OEM COPO, somewhere in between.

I would rather see a rebody to save the car as such, a rebody of the OEM COPO or whatever, but the info should be up front. Like if the car was a total rust bucket. But at least it can be saved. Just let the market know therefore the the $$$ would reflect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I don't agree with you. If I am reading correctly, the only real parts of the original car are the rearend and a piece of metal with the VIN on it. Do these parts make a $30,000 car worth $100,000 or more? I don't think so. There are clones built that have real COPO drivetrains. I would place more value to those cars than this one. JMO
James
Old 04-27-2008, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Drew - your market segment is telling you something. Change your business paradigm, and think about how you could help us clean up the hobby. How about this: YOU set a standard of disclosure for all of the cars that pass through your house. If the seller's representation meets YOUR standard, and you offer the car, then everyone wins - the seller gets the sale, you make money in your business, and the buyer gets what was represented. After all, the buyer is paying the house money as well as the seller. I'm sure you have all sorts of knee jerk reactions as to why this simple system won't work. I will make a prediction, however, RS can be the absolute best, most respected auction house in American, bar none, if YOU will lead with integrity. If not, the Feds will pass laws, regs, and fees to govern our hobby. In addition, a knowledgeable customer base with the means to buy your cars, will run from your show (if indeed they haven't already) So how about it, Drew, if you love the hobby as you say you do, step up, and help us keep this thing alive and well. Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

word..
Old 04-27-2008, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this at all Drew's fault and/or responsibility to ensure fairness? He's an auction house, not a dealer-- He just puts buyers and sellers together, and allows each to fend for themselves (i.e.: Reserves to protect sellers, and the buyer can walk away if/when they want).

If you don't agree with the way Drew does it, start your own auction house, as you've apparently stumbled upon a business opportunity.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:26 AM

I too happen to like Drew's auctions. I attend them and have in the past been a bidder. The point of my comments are not to imply or infer that the auction house has either the blame or the responsibility under the current system. I AM suggesting that there are solutions to the reported abuses and misrepresentations in our hobby. This forum is the beginning of the disclosure solution as it provides a process for a buyer to learn specifics about a car of interest. Auction houses can greatly assist in this process. It is certainly their perogative to run their business as they wish. Maybe someday, one of the houses will step forward and begin the change in their industry from caveat emptor. I happen to think that the first one that implements disclosure will win. What possible down side is there for the auction house? Since Drew is an enthusiast, and in position to effect they way his house does business, I was (and am still) urging him to give it some thought. Bob