Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Default Re: russo and steel chop job camaro copo

I am essentially a Ford guy with only one Camaro in my collection so I don't know how this COPO connection stuff works? So if I understand this a Camaro with a COPO connection paperwork is not necessarily inspected by Ed C.? But is rather only "VIN relative" in that the particular Camaro has a correct VIN for a COPO Camaro???? I am confused how this works in Chevy world? For Mopars Galen will decode a car for you which is easy to understand that it means that it was not physically inspected by him? A physical inspection by Galen is a physical inspection no confusion there and Galens inspections include casting date codes as well as part numbers.

I have seen some Chevy inspection paperwork from a Jerry Mcniesh (probably not correct spelling) but the inspection report generated for a purported LS6 Chevelle failed to have any casting date codes to verify any of the important parts such as the block for instance were built before the data plate said the car was built? So I couldn't understand how the car was considered or certified to have it's original block when the report failed or Jerry wasn't paid enough or perhaps not asked to get the casting date codes????
Old 04-23-2008, 06:33 PM

my opinion. I would *expect* that such an auction house as R&S would do their homework before accepting the car. It would seem that it is their responsibility not the buyer.. I mean why are you paying such prices for cars thru R&S (who has an excellent reputation) if they do not at least check into them first. I hope everything works out for the OP and R&S.. Im sure no one wants to be in either position..
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

There is just no way for an auction house to check every car... it really is not their responsibility.

For arguments sake lets say that the auction house checks every car.
Say they check the hidden vins... and they match. Do they stop there? Does that guarantee the vins from another car were not welded in?

Who is to say how much time and effort they should go through?
If you open that can of worms I can not see where it would end. (especially once the Lawyers become involved)

In the end the buyer is responsible for checking the vehicle over, and if the buyer is not knowledgeable then find someone such as Jerry Macneish to inspect the car. (his fees will be money well spent and on a 100k car his fees couldn't be more than 2% of purchase price)
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Yenko Paid Member

[ QUOTE ]
It would seem that it is their responsibility not the buyer..

[/ QUOTE ] Thats exactly why some owners bring thier cars to auction and try and get people to certify thier cars, so they can pass the buck when the car is discovered to be a rebody or a perfect clone. No auction house or individual has ever removed heater boxes and sanded firewalls back 3 feet on 100 point restored cars,not realistic. Years ago the NCRS got smart to this and made a waiver that even if a car got 100 poits it didnt mean it [top flight certificate] could be used as "documentation" or proof of authenticity,rebody,restamp etc even though they gave 100% on a pad stamp,
Old 04-23-2008, 11:15 PM

Fellow Enthusiasts,

The buyer of this vehicle never funded the transaction. As a result, the vehicle has been returned to the seller. Any allegations regarding the authenticity of this (or any other vehicle) will be fully investigated by the principals involved.

Reckless claims and unsubstantiated allegations in any public forum, including this board, serve no tangible benefit for our hobby. Russo and Steele, the auction house has taken the appropriate steps in this scenario and has mediated a suitable resolution.

To place the seller of this vehicle at any disadvantage, regardless of its history, without specific evidence and with unsubstantiated claims is simply unfair.

This matter is now closed. Please do our fellow collectors the courtesy of allowing them to proceed to engage the appropriate professional authorities to accurately determine the disposition of this automobile.

Drew Alcazar
President – Russo and Steele, L.L.C.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 AM

Nice, Drew. thanks for stepping up.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,419 Times in 765 Posts

I second that. Thank you Drew, for the professional response.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:53 AM

Hmmmm. Doesn't sound like Drew's syntax. Looks like everyone lawyered up. In any event, 'twas a good discussion on this board and helpful to me as I collect "authentic" "survivor" "real" "true" "numbers matching" cars in the future (whatever the heck those terms mean). My purchases (and sales) will probably be from this board 'cuz from all accounts Bob
Old 04-24-2008, 06:12 AM

"Reckless claims and unsubstantiated allegations in any public forum, including this board, serve no tangible benefit for our hobby."

Isn't this the same Drew Alcazar who boasted that his company did the right thing by "shill bidding" to get the price up?
Old 04-24-2008, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To place the seller of this vehicle at any disadvantage, regardless of its history, without specific evidence and with unsubstantiated claims is simply unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

With no disrespect, IS THIS NOT SPECIFIC EVIDENCE?
[ QUOTE ]
the vin # on the cowl has been cut out and replaced by the real copo vin # , but it is a terrible job and if you take a mirror and look under it you will see the welding all around the numbers ----- the worst part about it is the way russo and steele does bussiness , they wanted their money anyway and did not care, drew threating me by saying that he was going to call the cops and charge me with a stolen car,, maybe what i should has done was call the cops my self and they would have taken the car by (auto-theft police) and destroy it.

[/ QUOTE ]