Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 12-07-2004, 03:56 AM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts
Default Re: Future collectables

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you young Mr. Hassett. I have 4 boys ranging from 18 to 27. They all like my 69 Z/28 but would never really want to buy one. My one son is in the auto parts business and he tells me he will beat me all day with a rice burner. When my kids look back on their youth it won't be the cars there fathers drove. It will be rice, Cavaliers and Neons. That is the way it is. I also predict that you will be able to buy these very expensive muscle cars we have today a lot more reasonable 25 years from now. I may be wrong, but I don't think any of my guys or their friends will spend 500,000 for a hemi cuda or 300,000 for a ZL1. I don't think the Japnese cars have much collectability but I don't think my kids generation much cares about that. They just want to go fast! Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on the "money"- no pun intended. You are 100% correct. Cars are most likely a generational thing, and no doubt the time of the supercar is right now. Later- we will not care this is our time now. I happen to see both sides. It is a neat to appreciate the current gas price driven small displacement performance movement - and also contrast that with old school Detroit muscle. I like them both, however I cannot get the sound of 7500 RPM from a small block chevy out of my head. Perhaps that is why I like the Supercharged B series Honda because it (like the early Z-28's) will Rev it up.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:25 AM

I hope you're right, so the younger guys who think "ricers" suck can snag up all the Yenko Camaros Chevelles and Novas for pennies on the dollar while everyone else is "investing" in Hondas and Mitsubishis...somehow I can't see that happening though, but it definitely would be ok by me...
Old 12-07-2004, 12:04 PM

Everybody wanted a Model T in the 70's who really wants one now?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I rest my case Chris!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:42 PM

But the difference today is that they make a million of these import cars so they're all the same. It's the limited production high performance models that will always be the most collectible and I don't see that in any of the new stuff other than the purpose built cars/trucks like the SSR, SVT Cobra, Lightning, ZL1, etc. I just can't see a craze in the future where these kids today will be restoring their Hondas back to stock and putting the original hood, trunk, wheels back on them. If they do, better start buying up Honda parts now for pennies and sell them back for hundreds of dollars in 20 years.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:15 PM

Everyone thought that musclecars/supercars were only a thing of the 60's and 70's. Only time will tell, but I think the following of the high end cars is relatively limited due to the $$$ it takes to be involved.

I look at it kinda like the 15 year home building boom that we're still experiencing. Folks that have "made it" in their late 40's and 50's are plopping $500,000 - $1,000,000 homes (without a great garage/workshop)in these up-tight little subdivisions. There are way more homes than potential future buyers, it's just a matter of the numbers.

So that leaves the $100,000 question... Who's going to buy these homes when the current owners want to reitre and move someplace warm. Granted, cars are different, but the number of future buyers seems smaller to me than the hobby currently enjoys.

JMHO,

Blair
Old 12-07-2004, 07:32 PM

The ricers may be the collector car of the future, but what kind of condition are they going to be in in 30 years. They may not be worth saving as they are not made with the same kind of metal that the supercars were made from. Anybody ever see the first generation Datsun's around??
Old 12-08-2004, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody ever see the first generation Datsun's around??

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually...
I dont think any imports will endup being as rare or desirable as some of the Yenko, Motion, etc. but I think they will be on par with the mainstream muscle cars.

I am really not trying to be negative here, but as far as these "new" retro cars SSR, new GTO, SS anything, - I dont think they are going to be a big deal in 30 years. If anything maybe the ZL-1's, ZR-1's, GN's. GrandSport On the other hand, take stuff like the new GTO - GM takes the Holden, slappes a 50 cent badge on it and markets it towards middle aged males who owned them in their youth people barely want them now, in 30 years -nah. More marketing like slapping SS badges on everthing - AVEO SS - WTF? If Ford re-introduced the model-t in 1969, would they be a big deal today. The ZL-1's... I am a fan, but can you really re-invent the legend and its history... I think the only history they are going to have is Christensen at the track. Again - I am really not trying to be an Import Nazi or bash everything. Personally, in 30 years I hope to have my main Civic (b/c I am attached to it), buy a nice 69 Z, and have my grandfathers Model-A. Drive them all on weekends maybe even beatup some Retro-Ricers in the Motion. Who knows... will the EPA even let us drive these cars in 30 years or will they just end up in bubbles
Old 12-08-2004, 07:08 AM

Mark,
Actually I believe the 1500 from 1964 would be the first gen Datsun..

You don't see many around.
-Sam
Old 12-08-2004, 07:11 AM

Looks like a 70s MGB... only with wide whites!