Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,180 Posts
Default Re: 66 COPO chevelle

I think you mean they..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 11:28 AM

Thanked 1,660 Times in 487 Posts

Weren't the Z16s built in Kansas except one in Baltimore?
Dick Harrell had a Z11 engine in a 64 Chevelle that he raced. It is interesting that one of the first Chevelles to hit the drag strip was a 427 Chevelle but a W engine not a Mach IV BB.
I don't think the factory would put a 1963 Z11 engine in a 66 Chevelle.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:29 PM

I think you mean "Mark IV" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img] It's the last working day of the week, and I'm going golfing in a few minutes. I just couldn't help but chime in. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 02:43 PM

Thanked 6,106 Times in 2,959 Posts

I thought Cortez Silver was a 69-70 color....?
Old 07-03-2003, 03:12 PM

Thanked 1,541 Times in 741 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
...drums all the way around (a huge mistake according to him for obvious reasons)...

[/ QUOTE ]

In 66, I think there was no alternative. Perhaps metallic linings were available optionally to provide some help, but I don't believe discs became available until 67 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 07-03-2003, 09:09 PM

The 1966 Chevelle "silver" color was called Chateau Slate. 1967 did not have a silver color for the Chevelle, though I believe the Canadian version did.

Brakes were just drum, with bonded asbestos lining and a single reservoir master cylinder. As was said, a 66 SS could be ordered with the heavy duty brakes and Metallic Lining as option, and Vacuum power assisted brakes were available too. 67 saw major changes to the braking system of the Chevelle. IE., Front disc brakes were now an option, and the split brake system with dual reservoir master cylinder...as side note, if the disc brakes were ordered, you got the Ralley wheels too!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Most 66 SS cars that received a 427, got it as a DEALER INSTALLED item...not a COPO item... This was done at some specific dealers, some did this more than others...b/c it was done prior to customer pick up, many believe "it came from the Factory" like that...esp., the neighbor., the friend, the guy at the gas station...who saw the car the first day the owner took it home...the "STORIES" start like that usually. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That said, could, or did any 66 SS cars come directly from the factory with the 427? Well, I have spoken to several people over the years who claim this happened with them. High profile people, these were deals made in the back room so to speak, similar to the story above... you would not see paperwork in the form of the USUAL docs we see, showing this...it was supposed to be hush hush...we can't have every Joe Smoe asking for this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] I am an optimist when it comes to this, even though I have never seen any paperwork showing it....and don't expect to either.... These were glorious times when knowing the right people meant something ( not sure it has changed significantly now ).

SIDE NOTE..M-22 trans. in 66 SS installed in a mere 12 cars., none in 67 SS.

Happy 4th drive safe! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Mike Crown
Old 07-04-2003, 12:33 AM

A FRIEND OF MINE HAD A PURPLE CHEVELLE IN A GARAGE IN JERSEY 20 YEARS AGO. THE ORIGINAL COLOR OF THE CAR WAS SILVER. HE TOLD ME THE CAR WAS AN ORIGINAL SS427 CAR THAT HE KNEW SINCE IT WAS NEW. IT SURE LOOKED ORIGINAL! HE PARTED THAT CAR OUT BECAUSE HE COULD NOT GET A TITLE. HE STILL HAS THE FRONT AND REAR EMBLEMS OFF THAT CAR. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]