Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-18-2003, 01:13 AM

Default Re: 69 Rolled Chevelle Chrome Extensions

The 1968 Chevelle SS did not have the chrome tips. The tail pipe on the 68 Chevelle ended at the corner of the quater panel behind the tire and pointed out. This obviously would not accomodate a chrome extension.

The 1969 Chevelle would be the only one with the rolled tips and we are not sure when they ended. We feel that they ended before the end of the production year but are not sure when. (this is the one we are looking for)

The 1970-1972 Chevelle Chrome extension is the one available today. It might have possibly been used on the late 1969 Chevelles.

What Joe says makes sense. But if the tips rusted out that fast the replacement tip sold by GM a year or two later would not have the part number in it either. So the cars outfitted with these tips would appear to have original extensions that were not rolled even though the original extensions which were, are now long gone. Just a thought.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:28 AM

My 69 SS was delivered 12-27-68 and had the rolled tips. They were actual tips and not part of the tailpipe. I have a set of the reproduction ones that I purchased from George Lyons a few years back.

66 GTO, Tri power, Fact. A/C, 4 speed
65 Corvette, L-76, Conv., Fact. A/C
63 Corvette SWC
Old 05-12-2003, 06:20 PM

69 exhaust extentions with rolled tips were something I researched quite extensively in 1987-89 when I purchased a 22000 mile L78 survivor, chambered ex from the orig owner. perfect, no part # tips were on car and 1970 dated wedding photos clearly showed them. Tips seemed to be randomly installed first half of year and the only other 2 cars I could ever verify were chambered also, BUT I am not claiming this is the case. NO, they did NOT come on 70SS454 Monte Carlos. Subsequently I did reproduce a total of about 15 absolute dead on sets but they were pricey for the time. I still have the tooling and could run some again if need be. my phone if prefered is 814-450-0926