Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - United States

Old 01-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: latest Jim M. Chevy records rumor

[ QUOTE ]
Speculation: What if the records available were those from Fisher Body, which maintained the Body numbers ,options and a corresponding Vin to the appropriate Vehicle and mfg,via an internal work order.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that would be great.....

1970 Corvette convertible 350/350 4 speed cortez silver
Old 01-14-2004, 06:16 AM

taken from CRG - http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

"Fisher Body - Trim Shop Operations
When the body was released from the Paint Shop and it was sequenced into the delivery conveyor to the Trim Shop, Fisher's computer generated their version of a "Broadcast Copy" for each car, called a "UOIT" (Uniform Option Identification Tag), which identified the color, trim, and options information for the Trim Shop build of that particular car; that document was placed on the car at the transfer station for worker reference."

Is Fisher's computer files is where the data is being complied from?

1970 Corvette convertible 350/350 4 speed cortez silver
Old 01-17-2004, 12:10 AM

There might be shipping records that would contain car information like VIN's with options etc for insurance documentation in transit.
72 El Camino SS350
73 Chevelle SS350
Old 01-20-2004, 01:33 AM

I've been told that Jim's quest has come to
a screaching hault. It seems that GM wanted to have some additional people get involved with the project and change a
bunch of the things Jim was attempting to do. Jim refused and said if the project was going to go that way he didn't want to be involved anymore. I guess there are some people in Detroit who feel this would look good on there resume.
This info was told to me by a reliable source, anybody else
here anything. Jim..... are you out there? Say it isn't so!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:14 AM

I do not have the specifics, but I do know from the last few times I had spoke with Jim that he was having problems with upper management at the current time. But, not to lose hope, this has happened before. Jim has been gathering info since about 1991 on this project, during that time management has changed over a few times. Some are gung ho and behind him all the way, while others could care less about our hobby and the records. When that happens his project takes a pause, the suits end up being transferred through promotion, demotion, or retirement, and the seats are then filled by other bodies. It takes a new suit who has interest in the cars and the hobby as a whole to give Jim the green light to launch again. At the moment I tend to think the project is on pause, but certainly not finished or without a future. Jim is still what I would consider rather young and very dedicated and deternined as well as in good health, so it is up to all those involved in the hobby to keep the spirit alive and keep behind him with enthusiasim and encouragment, as long as that happens the suits will change and once again the dust will be blown off the project to move forward towards completion. Keep the faith, and Jim, by all means we are behind you on this, I know you arent a quitter so keep your face in the wind and give it hell!
Motown
Old 01-20-2004, 10:01 PM

In all of my years at GM, I have found very few people in management who have any interest in our hobby. There have been a few exceptions. Check the www.gmcanada.com web site to see the 1908 McLaughlin-Buick Model F that Stew Lowe had restored for the company. Harry Sherry did an incredibly in depth restoration, going so far as to have two new engine blocks cast at the GM St. Catherines foundry. Some GM Oshawa tool and die makers were also involved in the process fabricating various pieces. Hopefully there will be a few Stew Lowes' who will come along to help Jim Mattison along. I think that it would be excellent PR for GM and would stir a lot of interest in their products.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:44 AM

Is there anybody we can write or email to at GM to show them that there are people in support of this project? I'm one person that wants this project to go full steam ahead until it's done.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:15 PM

I think GM wants me to despise them. I have to say I'm sure not my father who is diehard GM guy. Way to alienate your fanbase GM!
Old 01-25-2004, 02:53 PM

GM fan base?

How many that own these cars also own a new GM car or truck? Thats all they (GM) care about today. I know one guy who owns a 1969 original Z28 for about 15 yrs but has never purchased any other GM car and says he never will, loves to drive Fords.

So why should GM care about him?

btw
He rarely drives the Z28, 4th of July etc and all he ever talks about is how much its going to be worth in the future.
72 El Camino SS350
73 Chevelle SS350
Old 01-25-2004, 03:26 PM

Every manufacturer bases their sales on return customers. They have to. When they lose return customers, they need to find out why. I've been driving newer GM cars/trucks ever since I bought my first 69 Camaro. Chevrolet should definitely care about the work Jim has been doing. All I keep hearing anymore is "who do I contact about information on my car?". There's a lot of new people getting into the older car hobby and as the prices rise, people will want some sort of verification of what they're buying.