Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 10-11-2002, 03:38 PM

Default Re: 1969 Douglass Yenkos

Steve.....I have been called worse [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Now go out in the yard and smoke one of those cheap Dominican cigars ! Clill.....I don't mind Stephano calling me an asterisk but if you call my car an asterisk ...dems fightin' words!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 04:15 PM
SCR Sponsor

Brian,
Prout was not a Yenko Dealer and Prout never sold their cars to the public as such. The only tie between Yenko and Prout which I am aware of is that Don laid the ground work for the 9561 and 9737 Copo options. The 9737 Prout cars I have seen did not have the D80 spoiler options which all 1969 Yenko Camaros that I have seen carry. The prout cars are also very cool Super Car COPOs.

Where do you get your info., which says that Douglass striped the cars after he couldn't sell them? This was not the case,and the opposite is true. How rediculous is it, to try and infer that Jack could not have sold a 427 Double COPO at a Huge (approx 12%) discount to the Canonsberg Yenkos sitting next to them, especially all the extra colors and options his cars had available. Do you remember the Douglass news paper advertisements stating Yenko Super Camaros in Stock now, <font color="red"> all colors to choose</font color>.

Certainly it would take time to get 22-25 Camaros and 10 Chevelles striped and ready for sale. A reasonable person could conclude that that they were not striped while on the transporter.

Don and Jack had their conversation prior to his Direct order ever hitting the ground. Even Don let the cars sit in the radio active lot pior to having the stripes and Badges installed.

Did Don ever sell a 1969 sYc without the stripe option?

When Don sold a sYc Direct to the public was this on a Yenko Sports Cars, Inc. or Yenko Chevrolet ,Inc. bill of sale? (FMI)

Mr Gasser,
Ok smaller will do [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] , see ya there. You bring the cigars this time.

I don't think there is any question as to your opinion that the Yenko name should not be associaited with the Douglass Direct ordered cars, but you have yet to come out and say it. We will certainly maintain our own seperate opinions.

The relationship has been noted, and the sYc nomenclature of <font color="red">'Douglass COPO*Yenko'</font color> will suffice IMO,on this site or future sYc events to identify and distinguish these 22 Super Camaros for what they are. I too want everyone to know exactly what they are looking at.

Old 10-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,327 Times in 1,371 Posts

I believe Brian was referring to the information shor had gotten directly from Jack Douglass... at least that is how I read the post shor made on page 2 of this thread. Stefano, at times it seem as though you were there.

shor posted:
Jack had a little problem selling this last batch when they arrived. The problem was Jack had been advertising these Yenko cars heavily but it was a tough sale without the stripes. Jack has sold alot of Cannonsburg Yenkos to date and when people came in they said"wheres the stripes? where's the Yenko invoice?

On top of this Don was threatining to sue. They, after a very heated telephone discussion (verified by Don's seceratary, she remenbers because Don said he was going to personally fly out to Chicago and kick Jack's a**)they came to an agreement. Jack would pay Don 400 per car and Don would send him the stripe kits, window stickers, emblems etc.

Was I there? No. Is this true? I think so. Jack is still alive and has corraberated this sequence of events verbatim. Does this make these last batch of yenkos any less of a Yenko than thier Cannonsburg cousins? I can not say with absolute certainty. Time and preference will tell.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 10-11-2002, 06:32 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

"It should be pointed out that Yenko Sportscars did not have any type of exclusive COPO and that many other dealers have purchased cars similar to the cars purchased by Yenko Sportscars. One Yenko dealer, however (Jack Douglas in Hinsdale, Illinois), after making a direct factory purchase of 22 vehicles identical to those sold him previously by Yenko Sportscars, found it advantageous to purchase YENKO emblems and trim to enhance retailing the merchandise."

Stefano; The above quote is taken from the papers of the late Don Yenko. Accoding to this, Jack needed Yenko (SYC) and his stripes/emblems to sell his cars. It appears that this occured late in the model year, when even Yenko Chevrolet was having trouble moving the cars, do to extremely high insurance rates, if insurable at all. This would also explain why Don was not happy with Jack. Don wanted Jack to help him move the remaining Canonsburg cars before the market for BB cars completely dried up. Tom

Old 10-11-2002, 08:02 PM
SCR Sponsor

Tom,
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this as well.

Jack received his direct order shipment in late May of 1969.

The statement in Don's own hand (per your info.) was written September of 1969. You are reading between the lines IMO. It does not say he ordered them, they hit the grounds, they couldn't sell,(very unlikely and improbable) then Jack later bought stripes and sold them as Yenkos, Don got mad. Read it sentence by sentence and you will see that I have no argument with that which it says.

You seem to be trying to make the statement fit your preconceived notion of what should have taken place. This document surfaced long after Jacks original story and suports it no less than 88% that is 22/25.

Shor's statement which was referenced in the prior thread iS neither true nor accurate(no disrespect shor, but your statements are being quoted out of context) and he referenced such in a thread soon after.

No, I was not there and have stated so from the Begining. But I have questioned/spoken to Jack and many other people involved over the years and his Story has never Changed.

Tom ,I will submit to you, that if what you infer actually took place contrary to Jack's notarized statements it wouldn't change the fact that the event indeed took place and should be recognized.

Any more info on the other sYc dealers who sold Super camaros , Novas and Chevelles,in Chicago from Jan 1969 to December 1969. We need to put that to rest one way or another, don't you think? [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2002, 08:47 PM

Stefano; slow down and think about what you are saying. To me it does say that he ordered them, they hit the ground and they would not sell! Both Don Yenko and Donna Mae Mims have been quoted as saying that the cars became very hard to sale, due to the high cost of insurance. Much like was done on some the ZL-1s, Yenko even considered replacing the 427 with a less expensvie engine. Jim Mattison told me that the original order agreed to between Frank &amp; Don Yenko and Chevrolet was for 500 COPOS. But, because of sluggish sales, Chevrolet allowed Yenko to reduce the order. To Jim's knowledge, this was the only time that this was allowed. (Gibb's situation with the ZL-1s was handled a little different). Are you quoting Jack as saying that the cars were hot sellers through out the entire model year? If so, we will need to rewrite the history books, because the accepted fact has been that these cars were next to impossible to sell by the end of the 1969 model year. Tom
Old 10-11-2002, 08:54 PM

You can listen to ,read ,perceive,understand, be baffled,confused,happy,irate anything else on the planet.Tom has stated as the creator,owner,curator of this site that he recognizes these cars as Douglass*Copo Yenkos.I thought that was what this was all about.You can agree to dissagree on everything else.But when a phonecall or an email is sent to Tom on this subject make no mistake I'm sure he will stand by what he has posted. Douglass*Copo Yenkos
Old 10-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,327 Times in 1,371 Posts

We agree Jack initially ordered the car without Don's knowlege, his INTENT was to sell them as just double copos not Yenkos. Reading from all the posts, not just yours Jack had two problems; Don found out and he had difficulty selling them as just a copo. His solution both forced by Don and the market was to stripe them as a Yenko.

Jack ordered the cars without an agreement with Don,and outside the super car network. In addition they did not originate from Canonsburg. They are unique, but distinctly different from the original 198/99 Don ordered.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 10-11-2002, 09:12 PM
SCR Sponsor

Tom,
I agree and Jack also informed me that he was glad that he didn't have anymore orders comming in as the insurance Companies had literally blacked balled the cars here in Chicago where many were sold and the headquarters for some of the largest auto insurers were maintained. We are in agreement as to the effect auto insurance, or the lack of had on all 427 equipped vehicles.

I take the estate document for what is says and could read into it either way but it would not change the ultimate facts which have been thoroughly discussed here on the site.

I read every sentence/phrase and answer true, to the best of my knowledge and information.

Tom,
Here is Jack's phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx. If you want to here it from him direct then call him. He was there you and I were not and this way I can stop quoting him.

Those who have both inspected more than one Douglass COPO*Yenko car and spoken to him about the sequence of events have a different opinion than you on the subject.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:16 PM

Thanked 3,845 Times in 1,023 Posts

Maybe in the spirit of compromise...If the Douglass car was sold new with Yenko Stripes and emblems it could now be striped as a "Dougko". And if you did it just right, most People wouldn't even notice.