Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 10-10-2002, 12:40 AM
SCR Sponsor

Default Re: 1966 Yenko Stinger for sale

Joe,
Another very good question. I would think that we can agree that Don and Vince Piggins had come to an understanding that he would retail at least 500 Camaros through his sYc network. This was a very potentially lucrative situation for Don. I would aslo speculate that they had conversations about dealer direct orders and that Don's head start and marketing campaign should be a huge advantage. But, if any dealer were to inquire they would be given the necessary paremeters to order only that which they inquired about per the "Parts Sales and Service Agreement" Which governs the Dealer Mfg relationship for all Chevrolet Dealers. Marlin, I have never seen Yenkos agreement to purchase and sell COPOs from GM as Yenkos, but he did do it.

It appears that Jack Douglass was the only dealer to challenge the process as Don had lead him to believe that there was no other way to obtain the special cars.

If I had been in Don's shoes the thought of all my ideas and work going out the window would have made me upset at the outset. It is also material that Jack and Don agreed that part of their deal was that Jack would not disclose the order procedure and direct availability of the cars to anyone else.

This is why any L72 Super car has direct ties to Yenko, he is the father of the Super Car COPOs.

Old 10-10-2002, 12:41 AM

Thanked 1,660 Times in 487 Posts

SCCA recognized Yenko Sportscars Inc. as a manufacturer
ACCUS recognized Yenko Sportscars Inc. as a manufacturer
Original Yenko window sticker states "FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT CANONSBURG PENNSYLVANIA
Tom has the paperwork and it is not one piece but many.
I never said and do not believe that the Douglas cars are illegal. I just don't think they are exactly the same as the other Yenkos. They are great cars just as all hi po Chevrolets are.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:47 AM

"FINAL ASSEMBLY, CANNONSBERG PA" Is that on the actual GM window sticker or on what we call in the car biz an addendum(SP?) which is a dealer generated supplamental window sticker that reflects any adds or conversion done on a specific vehicle?
Old 10-10-2002, 12:50 AM

JoeC, spin it however you like and whether those racing organizations recognized Yenko as a manufacturer or not doesn't make him one. One last time...Yenko was NOT a manufacturer, he was a converter. I am the one that originally rated this thread as five star,now I wish it would just go away. GM built the cars. Period.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:56 AM

BTW Stefano, even in 1969 the 400.00 per car profit that Don may or may not have received (no proof has been given other than your hearsay from Jack) was probably less than what Don made selling the average new car off his lot. I don't think that $8800 was gonna make him a rich man.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:58 AM

hvychevy, I guarantee you that was not a GM window sticker.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:02 AM
SCR Sponsor

I want to clearify that I agree with Joe in that per the SCCA both sYc and Shelby American,Inc. qualified per the given definition of a mfg, This amounted to a 100 unit minimum production figure for both sYc and Shelby American, Inc. It was a monumental accomplishment for any Car dealer.

All the 1969 Models sold by Don Yenko have Chevrolet motor Division as the MFG, not sYc. The proper term would be conversions for the Cannonsberg cars.

All this stuff is getting to me as I spead through the post. I was specifically referring to the Stingers and the Shelby's built in model year 1966.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:15 AM

Its getting kind of fun picking fly shi* out of pepper ain't it !
Old 10-10-2002, 01:17 AM

Thanked 1,660 Times in 487 Posts

Who would you say manufactured the Yenko Stinger? It had to be a 2 seat sports car to race in D Production class. The Corvair was illegal for this class because it was not a 2 seater. You had to have a Yenko Stinger manufactured by SYC. Chevrolet new this and helped Yenko by supplying the base car. This is why the YS number tag is such a big deal for the Stinger. You need it to race.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:19 AM

Remember how Peter Jennings from ABC news durring the Spetember 11th tragedy was always on the tele every time you turned it on back then? (I know it is a bad comparison) That is how I see poor Stefano right now. This guy has probably not slept since Sunday! Stefano please sit on your couch and have a margarita. IT ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]