Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,304 Posts
Default Another Transplant Success Story

I really don’t do much social media, and don’t share a lot of personal things on line. I don’t even HAVE a Facebook account.
But, I do share some personal things on this site because you guys are like family to me. I love reading success stories about Holly, and have really enjoyed some of my private conversations with a lot of you guys. Hoping to see more of you face to face at MCACN this year.

Many of you may remember that our son (technically my step son, but I love him as if he were my own) was born with kidney defects and was on dialysis by the time he was 17, back in 2012.

Being that he was such a momma’s boy, I did not want Sherri to donate. I am O-, and therefore a universal donor. Both Sherri and I went through the screening process. I was only 59 years old at the time, and in seemingly good health; so our plan was that I donate so that Sherri could take care of both of us. Well, my blood pressure skyrocketed and they would not let me. The day I found out, I was so pissed, I came home and broke out about 300 square foot of concrete sidewalk with a sledge hammer. Didn’t even score it with the saw. Finished breaking it up in about 30 minutes. It needed to be removed anyway, as we were reconfiguring for a circle drive. Productive therapy.

Sherri ended up donating. Zack did very well until early this year when that kidney started to fail. He prepped for dialysis again. I was determined that I could donate this time around even though the criteria on the application stated that age 70 was the cutoff. I am getting ready to turn 72. I do five miles minimum on the tread mill at least 5 days a week, and have been for over a year. I got my blood pressure down to an average of 110 to 115 over about 55. My at rest heart rate is 45-49. Even did a 55 minute 10k, just for fun. Almost completely off blood pressure meds. My cardiologist and my GP both cleared me to donate.

Got a call two weeks ago from the transplant center. The lead surgeon decided he wanted to wait for a younger donor, as Zack is only 30. I took it better this time; didn’t have to destroy anything. Still, I was disappointed.

Zack got a call last Thursday, telling him to get to the lab for a blood draw Friday morning. They found a good match (accident victim one state away; 37 year old male) and provided Zack had no issues with his labs, and no fever, they were planning on a transplant.

Zack got a new kidney yesterday morning. He is doing well so far. Planning on moving him from ICU to a regular room later today. The emotions are just overwhelming. While we are elated that Zack got a new kidney, it is heartbreaking to know another family lost a loved one at the tender age of 37. Still, we are thankful for that young man and his family to allow at least one of his organs to save or extend another life.
1967Z28 (Today), 67since67 (Yesterday), 69Z11Pacer396 (Yesterday), big gear head (Yesterday), carnut4life (Yesterday), dykstra (Yesterday), L16pilot (Yesterday), L78_Nova (Yesterday), L_e_e (Yesterday), markinnaples (Yesterday), muscle_collector (Today), olredalert (Yesterday), PeteLeathersac (Yesterday), RobR (Yesterday), Too Many Projects (Yesterday)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

As an OTG-Off the Grid guy as well, I can appreciate your attachment to wanting to help. I’ve seen the donation happen a few times by others, and the best laid plans sometimes work, and sometimes don’t.
Anyway, you did your part to prep and that’s an admirable thing, but at least he got a new one.
As a registered donor since I was eligible back in the Stone Age, I figured if my brain is mush I might as well help others; because my liver won’t be filtering any more alcohol for me. ��
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,725 Posts

----Really good news, Lynn! Also glad you will make the show. Be sure to stop in the vendors area and say hello to me and the Dykstra's (one swap space away). Beer is cold and Jake and Dave's Choclate chip cookies are awesome....Bill S
The Following User Says Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
dykstra (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM

Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,541 Posts

Very happy for Zack and all of you for this to happen.
Yes, it is heart wrenching to know another person lost their life young.

Brings to mind a good friend from elementary school that was a donor when he perished in a truck crash 12 days after he turned 44.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles