Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,267 Times in 1,495 Posts
Default 2015 Toyota trailer hitch modification.

I now have a 2015 Highlander that came with a rusty trailer hitch, with a 1/4" plate with rectangle holes for the safety chains. I've never seen one like this before. The car came from central New York, so it may be a regional manufacturer. I used my air chisel to remove most of the heavy scale under the powder coating and took it to a local blaster. They used too large of a media to get in the pits and it isn't the best job, but will have to do.
Attached Images

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Attachments - The Supercar Registry DSC01234.jpg DSC01233.jpg DSC01232.jpg DSC01231.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

The hooks on my 3,000# gross cargo trailer were too small to fit over the plate, so I went to Northern Tool and bought 2 large D-rings. These are rated at 12,000# sheer strength each. Should hold back my trailer if the ball mount fails... LOL
I went with these, because I believe the plate is an integral part of the hitch strength at the receiver tube and these should fill the gap I cut out of the plate. I don't use the Plasma cutter much, but it sure is nice for a job like this. Took longer to hook it up than to cut out the plugs. I think I got enough weld on them to feel confidant they won't fall off... I like the way this looks more "traditional" too.
I now need to get out my portable siphon blaster and clean up the welds for paint.
Attached Images

1967 Camaro ss/rs
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM

I bought a G-body several years ago (for parts) and intended to use the trailer hitch it had on it. After removing the hitch, I found that the long tube had completely rusted through in spots.

If yours is as rusty inside the tube as it appears outside ... just sayin'
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM

No, I hammered on that hitch hard with the long barrel air chisel. It's still plenty strong.
Decided I may as well drag the portable out with the saw horses, tarp, air line, sand and filter, etc, etc. Geez it takes a lot of time to get set up and then to tear down and put it all away for 30-40 minutes of blasting.My sand is too soft to really dig into the rust embedded in the pits, but I did improve it some. New rings came clean and that was the main focus anyway.
No pics of the process, I was too focused on just getting it done. Was cloudy most of the day but the sun decided to come out about the time I was ready to start. Full jacket, gloves and a blast helmet made for a very hot job.
No paint tomorrow, I have a Chevelle Club tech session event and club meeting to run. Maybe Sunday.
Attached Images

1967 Camaro ss/rs