Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old Today, 01:52 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,178 Times in 663 Posts
Default Trailer tires

Check your trailer tires. The Super Car Reunion is coming up this Friday, and we always have a few guys show up who had a trailer tire blow out on the way. I was getting my trailer ready today and thank God I noticed this. If it had been on the back side I probably wouldn't have noticed until it blew out. $750 and a few hours later I've got a new set of GoodYears on it. This could have been bad. Theses tires were 6 years old.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
napa68 (Today), olredalert (Today), RPOLS3 (Today), YenkoYS-199Stinger (Today)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_1741.jpg IMG_1738.jpg GT TOYZ AD SNOWMOBILE MAG.jpg 20240727_150612.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old Today, 11:35 AM

Thanked 3,244 Times in 1,484 Posts

Good reminder and catch, Freddie. The wear on the separated blocks indicates it was coming apart the last time you pulled the trailer too, lucky man.

Check air pressure !! and keep them at, or near max, as the load rating is based on that pressure. Running the air lower than max also reduces the load capacity, which allows more sidewall flex which builds heat in the tire and heat kills tires. I have load range E tires on my trailer. Way overboard for the gross weight of the trailer and load, but I've never had a tire fail either.

As an aside, I have a 2013 travel trailer that the spare had never been off the carrier and 2 years ago, it separated and was coming apart. The quality of tires has deteriorated dramatically with many of our tires now coming from china.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
67since67 (Today)
Old Today, 01:47 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,415 Times in 967 Posts

I was in the habit of replacing my tires every 5 years. Your post is making me reconsider that. I'll also add to the conversation, I can only suspect spread axles and tight maneuver's tax the side walls on the tires (to say nothing for the wheel bearings).

I'm assuming most trailers are sitting outside, thus UV is raising hell with them. I have the luxury of keeping my trailer inside. Considering the cost of these trailers, I'm treating them like the rest of my vehicles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to napa68 For This Useful Post:
67since67 (Today), RPOLS3 (Today)
Old Today, 02:16 PM

Trailer tires dont seem to be what they used to. We had a gooseneck farm trailer that in the first year blew 2 tires and my dads car enclosed car trailer blew 2 on the way to florida. Not much fun to fix along the side of the road
Old Today, 04:20 PM

Thanked 1,754 Times in 511 Posts
Post Trailer Tires....

Checking tires is a great idea...and also looking at the rest of the trailer. This past December I decided to repack the bearings on our snowmobile trailer...it sits around for 9-10 months without much use. Tires looked a little cracked so I ordered new wheels with tires already mounted.

When I went to swap them I noticed something strange with the axle mounting point onto the trailer frame. After a little inspection we found out the steel axle had corroded the aluminum frame and the axle was sucked up into the trailer frame, both sides

The axle company called it 'galvanic corrosion'...mix steel with aluminum and add the salt...recipe for disaster. Fortunately I caught it in time...we installed a new axle and two new aluminum frame rails.

As an added precaution I took the new wheels and tires off and installed the old ones for summer storage. They will go back on when the snow flies...

Trailer maintenance is greatly over looked by many. Following this experience I designed a client ad for the NYS Snowmobile Association magazine.

-wilma
Attached Images

02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old Today, 04:30 PM

Thanked 4,370 Times in 1,037 Posts

Consider your truck tires also, especially if the trucks sole purpose is towing. I had an OEM Goodyear break belts on the way back from MCACN last year. Was scheduled for new Michelins anyway, should have done it one trip sooner.

Trailer tires. Went through a couple sets of Maxxis as research showed almost no negative reviews, good tire. When Goodyear came out with the Endurance I was sold on the 80 mph rating, on my second set now.
I replace at four years, the condition of some of these interstates is criminal! - Bill W
The Following User Says Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
napa68 (Today)
Old Today, 04:46 PM

Thanked 4,370 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 View Post
Checking tires is a great idea...and also looking at the rest of the trailer.
Trailer maintenance is greatly over looked by many.

-wilma
Great points Wilma!! Mindful that my trailer has rolled 115K miles, I roll around under it at least a couple times a year looking for any issues. I pack wheel bearings at 10K and carry a spare hub/brake assembly.

And steel against aluminum,
The steel axle support rails under mine are separated from the aluminum trailer frame by heavy sheet plastic, all bolts are stainless.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
napa68 (Today), Too Many Projects (Today)
Old Today, 05:51 PM

Thanked 3,244 Times in 1,484 Posts

Yes, on the separation of dis-similar metals. All it takes is a layer of clear packaging tape. Hope you did something similar, Wilma.
In the early-mid 80's Peterbilt was done with their mild steel west coast mirror frames rusting prematurely in the salt states and went to stainless brackets. Several years later, they learned of their mistake when the paint around the brackets was failing under warranty and the corrosion issue was discovered. Cost them a bit to replace doors for a while. Even my '92 didn't have any insulation, which I added as soon as I bought it, in '95.
Bill, I don't use stainless bolts, as they will still react where they touch aluminum. I use grade 8 bolts with a zink coating and anti-seize on them. I install them in a manner that I never have to turn the bolt and scratch the zinc, only turn the nut...
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
scuncio (Today)
Old Today, 05:58 PM

You should be checking your trailer every 3 months if you don’t use it every 3months. You should also be checking the trailer at every time you stop while on the road. Also do a post trip inspection.