Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 05:08 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Top Day 2 Musclecars?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANDY M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK Since I'm an old geezer who grew up in the Detroit area and actually wasted some of my youth on Woodward Ave. I will toss in my 2 cents.
JMHO but the origin of &quot;Day 2&quot; is some 16 year old kid buying his first used car and then trying to make it go faster with as little cash as possible.
These cars were called &quot;HOT RODS&quot;. The concept of buying an old beater and then adding your own mods, thus causing your old beater to lose its status as a stock car goes back to the late 1940's, and goes on to today.
Day 2 could be any car with parts from Jegs or Summit bolted on.
Guys with cash have been building sleepers for generations. Just look at what kids are doing to Honda Civics or any other cheep car that can be modified with aftermarket parts.
When the gas crisis hit in 1974, big block cars were getting crushed like the Lions with less than two minutes to play. There are so many ways to modify a car that the &quot;bracket racer&quot; is the only fair way to race. Run what you brung, give yourself a tenth, and don't be a sandbagger.
Also, in my wasted youth street racing was done from a roll, not from a dig. Hard to do at a track. (Just saying) [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
OK, please return to the regularly scheduled rants.
Andy [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img] </div></div>

Andy -

Thanks for the input. I believe the common understanding is that Day 2 is what you did to your new musclecar the day after (hence the Day 2 moniker) you brought it home from the dealership.

As I mentioned earlier, I think we know from Pure Stock Drags racing and old magazine articles (although some cars had some &quot;special&quot; factory prep) what cars were fast in factory configuration. What I'm curious about is what were the fastest cars on the street with the usual modifications from that era - headers, sticky tires, carb/intake/cam, etc.?

For example -- if you take a car with horrible exhaust (and lousy performance in PS Drags), like the 66-67 Fairlane 427 cars and just add headers, how much does that wake it up? Or something like a 66 Chevy II with an L79 -- how deep into the 12's can you get it with sticky tires, better cam, headers, etc?

I'm sure Woodward Ave was quite interesting -- what were some of the faster cars on Woodward back in the day?

Thanks

Scott

Old 09-17-2016, 06:53 PM

Day 2 bump! Let's talk more about this Day 2 race. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2016, 06:59 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EZ Nova</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll see your 454 Vega and raise you a 494 Can Am Boss Pinto. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Heads up gets out of control quick. </div></div>

And raise you with a Can Am version 480+CI of BBC ZL-! in that same little Vega. Now with only what was available say upto 1971, the BBc would win simply because there wasn't much aftermarket for the big old BOSS! </div></div>

I dunno about all that, brother. Aftermarket, maybe not, but there was plenty of NASCAR take-off and MuscleParts stuff floating around back then. Most of it just wasn't legal in class or viable on a street car. Boss '9 Mustangs may have gotten a reputation (undeserved, IMO) as slugs in stock form, but no circa-1970 BBC head is gonna move air like a Shotgun. Now give those heads 500 cubes in an 1800 pound chassis with wall-to-wall tire, and all the cam, compression and carb I care to throw at it? That ZL-1's gonna have a tough row to hoe.

Now we just need the Krysler Krew to show up with a 500 cube Hemi Colt and we got a race!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:31 PM

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=231960
Hemi Colt
[email protected] PSMCDR 9/14
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 quad black
14.36@92 Factory Stock division of F.A.S.T.
**SOLD** 1970 Road Runner Superbird 440-6 4spd EB5
Old 09-19-2016, 12:55 AM

Yeah, I've seen that thread before.