Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Trying to Decide Value of my 1969 Z/28

Don't sell ,.......beautiful car ,....needs minor medical help !! Let us know how it turns out!
Lately into Beaumont SD's, 66,67,68 and 69 , including a 69 2 Dr Post Beaumont , an L78 2 Dr Post Chevelle LS6 Chevelle's, LS6 and L78 El Camino and Camaro fan ! Also 2 Cdn Documented COPO's, a COPO Camaro and COPO Chevelle Love GM Products
Old 08-19-2015, 12:42 PM

Thanked 4,675 Times in 2,169 Posts

Jason's diagnosis is spot on and back to the basics also a good physical inspection necessary first!
It's such a cool car you'll no doubt kick you azz for setting free forever after...especially if taking the loss for it going away in an undiagnosed state.
If you need help but are willing to do some wrenching, please speak up as I expect the group here would love to help you go through a few basics and try to pin down what's happening yourself?
Whatever you do, it's a beautiful car and best of luck diagnosing the real problem!
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete
Old 08-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,023 Posts

What part of Ca. are you in ? Maybe someone can point you to a good mechanic. I doubt if you need the engine rebuilt. I would have the timing gears and chain replaced though. The gears are plastic and should be about done for.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:34 PM

Thanks for all your responses guys; I am overwhelmed. Just to give some info of what has already been done and is going to be done. I currently have the car at a local restoration shop; he specializes in Chevys, and I have seen some of his work. Timing has been set according to specs mentioned in CRG website. Vacuum advance can is correct for this engine. New sparkplugs. Tank was filled with 110 octane Sunoco leaded, with no ethanol, racing fuel to rule out ethanol problem. New Holley 4053 DZ carb installed. I probably will ship my old, possibly original, carb to Eric for rebuilding. Carb cleaner was used to check for vacuum leaks. Anything using vacuum, such as headlight door covers, were checked for leakage. None was found. When idling though and the lights were turned on the engine would die. Timing mark on harmonic balancer was spot on, but you could turn the crank by hand 10 degrees without any corresponding movement of the rotor. Timing chain and gears are going to be replaced as is water pump. Valve seals are also going to be replaced. That's all I can think of at this time. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all your comments. I am glad I decided to keep the car.

Charley, I live in Nevada City. It's about half way between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.