Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 10-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Please advise

That is not the first time that I have heard of a NICB report coming back with knothing. I believe it is fairly common.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM

My Z/28 has a "BY BERGER" emblem on the back and no records at Berger or from the NICB report.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:22 AM

Thanked 2,413 Times in 762 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It sounds like the records he searched at NICB were the insurance claims records. All they would show would be prior insurance claims. He may not know that he has to contact NICB headquarters and have them pull the microfiched shipping records for that VIN. What you are looking for is the shipping record that would show the original dealer destination code of Baldwin Chevrolet. </div></div>

Steve, Are saying that information is now available to a normal guy without an ongoing official investigation?

Verne </div></div>

Sadly, no. There has to be some legal issue with the car for them to do it. Such as a possible rebody or VIN swap or insurance fraud and someone in law enforcement has to request it for their investigation. For example, I remember a few years back when an &quot;air car&quot; 70 hemi roadrunner ragtop surfaced. (Air car = car that appears out of thin air with no history). The NICB search indicated that delivery destination for that VIN originally had a 383 engine code not an &quot;R&quot; hemi code in it.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 AM

Your car does have some very interesting &quot;clues&quot; about it even though most of them have been removed or torched off. The remnants of the tow bar brackets, subframe connectors, traction/ladder bar brackets, etc. Keep on digging!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:28 PM

Thanks Mark
in a addition the shifter is notched and the axle tubes are welded and the other race touches gauges,air shocks, 1&quot; sway bar dual points ect...could have been done at any time by anyone that raced the car but they are fun to find and research.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:23 AM

The ignition is not period correct enough to be motion installed. Also, regarding the traction bars welded to the rear end, I don't think that motion used that style of traction bars.

-Matt
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 PM

Saturday drove across the state to the preachers house almost 200 mi. one way and suprised him with a gift (legends of a muscle car builder) and took him out to lunch. We spent 3 hours talking about the car, I felt like I kidnapped him and interigated him but I believe he enjoyed the trip down memory lane. I found out he was the one that put the disc brakes and gauges in the car. He was not the original owner he bought it from a kid for $2200.00 $200.00 of that was because it was a Baldwin Motion car. The kid (no memory of name yet) only had it for a month and his parents made him sell it because it was to fast. At that time it had already been turned into a passenger car again. The preacher had kept the paperwork for years and then one day had no use for it and threw it out. He says and would sign a notorized letter that is was a BM race car. He also was the one that changed the yellow to daytona and suggested I remove the door bumpers and mud flaps. The preacher also showed me his 71 supersport El Camino That he keeps in good shape under a car cover for sunny days (car guy all the way). Still along way from finding out the story but at least some answers are coming to light.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 AM

&quot;Tales of a muscle car builder&quot; my apologies. I've now bought 3 copys