Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 10-29-2011, 05:09 PM

Default Please advise

Here's my dilema. I bought a 68 BB camaro that was rumored to be a BM car. I took a very sceptical approach to the car and assumed it was not. I got in contact with who may be the first owner to find out what hp the 396 was. He said it is a BM car and had a 427 "do your homework and you'll find that to be true". He had sold the car to go to bible school and become a preacher. He told me very little about the car, it ran high 10s and the second owner wrecked the car.
I contacted Mr. Rosen twice now he told me to go throught the NICB for starters. I did and it came up with no records.
Next I was able to find the second owner He was a wealth of information about the history of the car, who rebuilt the car after the wreck and so on he had also had contacted motion performance back in the day to find out something about the car. He is sure that it is a Baldwin motion car.
My major delema is I haven't been able to get pics or paperwork from either party yet the second being very busy but saying he'll get some for me. In the meantime I would like to present this information about the car to Mr. Rosen as the more I look at this car the more I'm convinced that this is a very special car. 1968 Camaro Photos for those that look at the tag in the photo bucket that was made sometime after the car was rebuilt the baldwin is mispelled and the CE block is a 1971
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Please advise

Dan - when u say you "did" the NICB, what did you actually do? My understanding is that if Joel is going to verify your car, he will want his fee up front. If I understand your "dilema", it has to deal with the original owner. That will take time to gain his trust and understanding, but will be worth your investment of time and patience. Looks promising Dan. Please keep us poste.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 PM

Sam
My dilema is. do I go forward with Mr. Rosen without all the information that I can potentialy gather in time? Or do I continue working on the history then present it to Mr. Rosen. This post is also hopeing that someone may remember the car from Washington state. A NICB Agent Did a search on the car and found no records, This included a short search and more extensive one what that entailed I don't know
Thanks, Dan
Old 10-29-2011, 06:09 PM

Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,015 Posts

Factoring in the home made Baldin tag, the 69 up alternator location, the 69 up disc brakes I would think someone built the car later. You need more info.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:28 PM

Charlie
you are correct. also the motor in the pic is out of a station wagon the ce block from 1971 is seperate from the car. All the sheet metal and front end was new in the 70's after the car was wrecked by the second owners friend. It is oem metal and cost the owner $11000.00 to rebuild at that time. I believe that's some of the paperwork that is available.
Thanks
Dan
Old 10-29-2011, 09:10 PM

Suggest you get as far as you can before approaching Joel. Need to build a concrete case. Dont think you have enough at this point. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 AM

Thanked 2,411 Times in 761 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dans68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sam
My dilema is. do I go forward with Mr. Rosen without all the information that I can potentialy gather in time? Or do I continue working on the history then present it to Mr. Rosen. This post is also hopeing that someone may remember the car from Washington state. A NICB Agent Did a search on the car and found no records, This included a short search and more extensive one what that entailed I don't know
Thanks, Dan </div></div>

It sounds like the records he searched at NICB were the insurance claims records. All they would show would be prior insurance claims. He may not know that he has to contact NICB headquarters and have them pull the microfiched shipping records for that VIN. What you are looking for is the shipping record that would show the original dealer destination code of Baldwin Chevrolet.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:08 AM

Good information to know. Thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 04:45 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dans68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sam
Thanks, Dan </div></div>

It sounds like the records he searched at NICB were the insurance claims records. All they would show would be prior insurance claims. He may not know that he has to contact NICB headquarters and have them pull the microfiched shipping records for that VIN. What you are looking for is the shipping record that would show the original dealer destination code of Baldwin Chevrolet. </div></div>

Steve, Are saying that information is now available to a normal guy without an ongoing official investigation?

Verne
Old 10-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Im having the same dilemma, NICB dident show anything.

And this is from Joel Rosén.

If you can get me a copy of the NICB report it will tell who the dealer really was. In addition, we would have to do a search which is $2000.00 payable in advance with no guaranty it will be favorable to you.