Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-29-2008, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Nice Pair Of..................

Back in the day it was common for Californians to deliberately adjust the back of the hood upwards to keep the engine cool. Early cowl induction -- maybe?
Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 AM

P.J. and Markinnaples,

[ QUOTE ]

The original block to #54 (as they refer to it in the auction) was in the NCOA giveaway car, and has since been decked and restamped to match the giveaway car (an absolute shame). The #54 car was believed to be lost forever, and suddenly surfaced at a cruisein in CA being driven by an 80 year old man who had had it in his basement since 1968.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this to say the motor was in the giveaway car, and was decked and restamped after the car was given away (key word "since"). If I owned #54 I would try to get that block back even with the restamp. You would still have the original block back where it belongs and it sounds like you could document the original stamp as well as the restamp.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
Why would NCOA deck a perfect original block to a really rare car before exhausting all avenues to find the orig car.Or leave the orig stamp on the motor in order to someday find its orig car.
That does not make any sense to me. Am I missing something
PJ

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not NCOA or Mark that decked and stamped the original block to #54. It was someone who owned it after it was given away by NCOA (either the winner or a subsequent person).
66 Chevelle L78 unrestored
67 Chevelle L78 unrestored
67 Camaro SS350 Survivor
Old 11-29-2008, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the "original" motor is concerned, some guy calls me a couple years ago and tells me the same story Jeff tells (maybe it was Jeff?). However, what good is an overpriced, decked and restamped block to me. I already have one of those. Besides that, how do I know this guy's telling the truth? Had he left the numbers alone I would have paid plenty. So there you have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't me! Plus I'd never hold someone else's numbers hostage -- I sold the original block to another Z16 to the owner of that car for $3500 a couple of years ago, when IX blocks without living cars were bringing $5000.

I agree completely the original block for #54 is not worth NEARLY what it would be worth if it hadn't been restamped. However, it should still be worth some amount more than 'just any' early 962 block, since it can be proven that it is in fact the original block from #54. If I recall correctly, there are pics in the Chevelle Report from when the giveaway car was being raffled that show the pad stampings. I'll try to find one of those issues and send a copy of the pic to you.

So, as long as it could be shown that the block being offerred was the block from the giveaway car (which I guess would be shown by it having the restamped serial no. of the giveaway car on it), then I'd have to think hard about ponying up to purchase it to have it with the car (even if not installed). Black/black red is plenty rare enough (only 4 cars known based on the Registry list), but having the orig. block would be even better!

Good luck with the auction! Jeff
67 Camaro SS350 Survivor
Old 11-29-2008, 03:43 PM

OK thanks Jeff now I am stsrting to understand the history.
If a pic of the stamping was taken at the time of the giveaway, case closed.
PJ
Old 11-29-2008, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, as long as it could be shown that the block being offerred was the block from the giveaway car (which I guess would be shown by it having the restamped serial no. of the giveaway car on it), then I'd have to think hard about ponying up to purchase it to have it with the car (even if not installed). Black/black red is plenty rare enough (only 4 cars known based on the Registry list), but having the orig. block would be even better!

[/ QUOTE ]

If the engine is available at an amount that makes sense, I'll buy it. Do you mind doing the homework or if not, passing the contacts on to me? Also, if the guy with my motor has concerns about finding a replacement then maybe we could work a trade. My current Z16 engine is all new and done right with over $18,000.00 in receipts and less than 100 miles since completed. Your help is appreciated, Mark
Old 11-29-2008, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the engine is available at an amount that makes sense, I'll buy it. Do you mind doing the homework or if not, passing the contacts on to me? Your help is appreciated, Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

I sent you a P.M. Jeff
67 Camaro SS350 Survivor