Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-28-2008, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Nice Pair Of..................

Why would NCOA deck a perfect original block to a really rare car before exhausting all avenues to find the orig car.Or leave the orig stamp on the motor in order to someday find its orig car.
That does not make any sense to me. Am I missing something
PJ
Old 11-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,850 Times in 1,637 Posts

------Was that restamping under Marks watch??? I am as amamzed as anyone.........Bill S
Old 11-29-2008, 03:22 AM
SCR Sponsor

That is just crazy Restamp an original Z16 Block??? I have many original blocks belonging to special cars and they will never be restamped while in my custody.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 AM

Restamps dominate the hobby today (Corvettes especially)

I think a restamp can be used in two fashions... 1) a way of falsifying a car, to make the motor appear original or 2) a final touch on the restoration to bring it one step closer to its original condition with no intent to deceive.

As long as the motor is described as being original or not, I see no issues with a restamp. Personally, I'd never own a car with a restamped motor, but each to his own.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:53 AM

Thanked 2,419 Times in 765 Posts

The saddest part of all is that if a block is decked, you can still get a photographable image of the original stamping through employing basic crime scene technology. But once you restamp it, you have lost that opportunity forever.

Crime scene techs lift serial numbers all the time, finding ground off serial numbers from stolen firearms, machinery, engine blocks, etc.

If you have a decked Chevy block I would recommend contacting your local police department and ask them who processes their crime scenes for serial number evidence. The guys that do the number lifting are always looking for some realistic iron to practice on. You really have nothing to lose - if they can't lift the numbers, you're still in the same spot as you were before. And if you do get the numbers lifted, you have just added immeasurably to your car's value.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But once you restamp it, you have lost that opportunity forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that?? I would think the original stamping is still in the block and can be "lifted" from the deck whether its been re-stamped or not... But Im no expert, thats for sure...
Old 11-29-2008, 04:11 AM

Thanked 2,419 Times in 765 Posts

The basic principal is that when metal is stamped, the stamp compresses (stresses) that section of metal in forming the visible image of the letter/number. Decking the block removes a thin layer of the metal but does not relieve the original stamped (stressed) area. Therefore, by using a heat process or acid and electricity process, they can get a ghost image to appear on the surface of the metal that appears for a long enough time to photograph it. If you stamp over that area, you altered that preexisting compressed area of metal and destroyed it.

Here's some light reading on the subject:

http://lucy.mrs.org/2006brazil/wedpix/j502.pdf

http://cms.ucok.edu/chemistry/Vonmin...%20Lecture.pdf
Old 11-29-2008, 05:22 AM

OK now to get back my orig statement, why would NCOA restamp that block. Does anyone know the story??? And how did it find its way back to the orig car.Do we know that it really belongs to this car?????
PJ
Old 11-29-2008, 05:28 AM

I like the "cowl induction" hood
Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 AM

In regards to my two black Z16s... Jeff Helms' statements are mostly accurate. Car #54 was sold new at "Courtesy Chevrolet" to Mr. Nobuhiro Oshiro who owned a speed shop in Los Angeles, California.
He immediately pulled the 396 and replaced it with the new 427 that had just landed at the Chevy dealer's parts department. He kept the car until 1967 when Tony Sanzone (now 83 years old), bought it for his son.
In 1969, Tony's son decided a Corvette was more his style and gave the car back to his dad. The car was driven by Tony semi-regularly to the tune of about 59,000 miles.
Tony and his wife moved to Oregon City, Oregon in about 2002 and brought the Z16 with them.
On February 17, 2006 I got a phone call from this ol' boy responding to my "Muscle Cars Wanted" ad. Guess who? Yep, Tony Sanzone. And it turns out that he lives about 2 1/2 miles from me. Needless to say I was in his driveway before hanging up my cell phone.
Obviously I bought the car. When I came back later to pick it up I brought my wife and a couple of buddies to photograph the entire transaction. Let's face it, who is going to believe an 80-year-old man still owns a 59,000 mile Z16 with the Protect-O-Plate still in the glovebox!
As far as the "original" motor is concerned, some guy calls me a couple years ago and tells me the same story Jeff tells (maybe it was Jeff?). However, what good is an overpriced, decked and restamped block to me. I already have one of those. Besides that, how do I know this guy's telling the truth? Had he left the numbers alone I would have paid plenty. So there you have it.