The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Correct Restoration Battery for my Z (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146744)

enio45 01-21-2018 09:16 PM

Correct Restoration Battery for my Z

What battery is acceptable to use for a correct replacement for my late build 69Z

I don't see the exact replacement in some of the repo companies.

Car is a 09E of 69 build, X77 car.

Appreciate the advise - need to get one on order!

Ls6 Ragtop 01-21-2018 11:19 PM

Eddie,
To the best of my knowledge, nobody reproduces a correct battery for any 69 Z28. Your car should have had a Y77 sidepost battery.
The only sidepost repro is a R89 which is not indexed correctly .
Same problem for early cars that would have a Y55 top post battery. Maybe someone knows something different but from what I know 69 Z owners are out of luck in the repro battery market.
Chris

enio45 01-21-2018 11:46 PM

must be why I'm having difficulty finding the right one!!

so the R89 - what is the index issue??

67 442 01-22-2018 12:30 AM

Was The R-69 used in these cars?

68bronze 01-22-2018 12:43 AM

Eddie. my burnshed brown x77 Z my date is very close too yours i used the R89 side post, judged no deduction in points in 2006:3gears:

Ls6 Ragtop 01-22-2018 12:51 AM

Eddie,
69 Z28 battery cables are indexed with the negative cable next to the radiator and positive cable nearest the fender.
R89 batteries are the reverse of this with the negative cable near the fender and positive next to the radiator.
67 442, Not on Z28's. R69 batteries were a HD option on cars that called out for R59 top post batteries.
Big block Camaros could have and I have a few buildsheet for 69 SS396 Chevelles with it.
They are equipped with cables that are reversed from what was used on the Z's.

enio45 01-22-2018 02:48 AM

many thanks for the advise

Kurt S 01-22-2018 03:37 AM

Usage: http://www.camaros.org/underhood.shtml#Batteries

169indy 01-22-2018 05:01 AM

My plan for a 302 Car is to "WHY" Yellow it out, the Z28 using the Y55 & Y77 are the the "normal" Yellow E-3000 series ( Amp hour rating of : 45 Ahr)

So a compromise would be to Yellow out the restoration battery by using Yellow painted delco eye caps & The color was used on the caps and to highlight some of the text on the battery; to give it the appearance of the reverse post batteries which are currently not available.

I saw someone post a Y77 conversion of the current side post offering in a effort to look the part. Nothing you can do about the positioning of the posts in relation to the fenders etc.

Might be a good option.

JIM

NorCam 01-22-2018 01:32 PM

FWIW, I tried again to order an R-79 from Restoration Battery last week to no avail. The old guy told me on Monday that he is in the midst of closing his company down as he can no longer get the batteries to continue on. The only ones who were making the restoration batteries were Antique Auto Battery out of Youngstown Ohio, but the daughter and err to the company has been partying for the past year and has driven the company into the ground while failing to deliver any stock to those who they used to supply.

I heard last week the Antique Auto Batteries were ringing up 10's of thousands of charges on other suppliers credit cards and were no longer fielding telephone calls from anyone. Sounds to me like they are one step away from bankruptcy and disappearing all together. Apparently their battery cases were all being made in Mexico where the molds and tooling are located and that they had failed to renew licensing efforts with GM, Ford and others where they can no longer continue having batteries made.

I am sure there's more to the story but the future looks bleak for anyone wanting an older looking battery now days. :no: