The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Fuel (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=170376)

martyb 01-10-2022 08:49 PM

Fuel

So I have no gas stations near me that sell high octane, and out here in AZ our best fuel is 91 octane. What’s everyone doing for these older cars that need leaded high octane fuel? It’s an original LS6 with 11:25 compression. I don’t race it or drive it hard, but when I do jump on it every once in a while I can hear a little knock. Currently use lead additive and Torco, but not sold on that solution.

dvss1 01-10-2022 08:57 PM

If you have a small airport by you, you could possibly buy it from them. That's what i do here in illinois.

olredalert 01-10-2022 08:57 PM

----Get yourself a couple of 5 gallon cans of 110 octane racing fuel. When the tank is down about 5 gallons go ahead and give it 5. That should be enough. Then when you are down 10 gallons pour in the second 5 and take it back to full with 91. Unless you are driving every day this should hold you a good long time. Then repeat!
----I don't know about you but depending on where you live there can be all kinds of additives added to av-gas. Personally, I have had bad reactions with it, but others haven't. Your choice!......Bill S

martyb 01-10-2022 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvss1 (Post 1578104)
If you have a small airport by you, you could possibly buy it from them. That's what i do here in illinois.

You just fill 5 gallon cans or do you fill the car at the airport?

CamaroNOS 01-10-2022 09:05 PM

See if there are any drag racers living around you. Maybe you can ask them or order your fuel through them?

Paul

olredalert 01-10-2022 09:17 PM

----There are speed shops in Phoenix that will sell you 110 octane!......Bill S

TimG 01-10-2022 09:18 PM

Never fill a licensed road vehicle at the airport. If authorities see you they could fine you for avoiding highway taxes. Much like dyed diesel being found in licensed trucks. Always give priority to the airplanes if you have a gas can. Cloudy rainy days are always low traffic days at airports.

SS427 01-10-2022 09:29 PM

I buy Sunoco 110 by the 5 gal pails and mix it 50/50 with 89 pump gas. I am hoping it nets me around 101/102 but has been working great so far. Unfortunately, it went from $10.34 per gal early last year to $16 gal this year!

njsteve 01-10-2022 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyb (Post 1578106)
You just fill 5 gallon cans or do you fill the car at the airport?

The way to do it is to bring 5-gallon gas can and use that. Never try to fill a car directly at an airport. The self serve pump is usually by the edge of the tarmac and you can just walk up and use your credit card right at the machine. We have a couple local commuter airports within 10 miles of my house. They have the 100 octane "low lead' which the old cars seem to love. A lot of guys also use it for gas-powered landscaping tools since the ethanol mixed fuel is really bad on them.

As for price, it is usually only around a buck more a gallon than whatever 93 octane fuel is going for at the local gas station that day.

seventieshow 01-10-2022 09:41 PM

This is a bit dated but most of these places are still around.

http://azmustangs.com/racegas.htm

Some airports won't sell gas to walk ins, some will. The smaller the airport the better. 100LL avgas works well in old cars but will eventually be phased out.

bugsy 01-10-2022 09:50 PM

Bugsy this is your second warning . Leave your political Qanon crap at home if you want to continue to be able to post on this site.

JRSully 01-10-2022 09:59 PM

I drive to this small airport not far from me, drive right onto the ramps and load up 3- 5 gal jugs of avgas. Works almost exactly any other gas station, Drop your card in, hit 15 gallons and you're done. I would never drive my car to the pump, just load the jugs. Compared to race gas, it can be half the price. The L78 loves it, and it never goes bad. I have the timing all in just before 3k so you need to be careful with octane

martyb 01-10-2022 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsteve (Post 1578113)
The way to do it is to bring 5-gallon gas can and use that. Never try to fill a car directly at an airport. The self serve pump is usually by the edge of the tarmac and you can just walk up and use your credit card right at the machine. We have a couple local commuter airports within 10 miles of my house. They have the 100 octane "low lead' which the old cars seem to love. A lot of guys also use it for gas-powered landscaping tools since the ethanol mixed fuel is really bad on them.

As for price, it is usually only around a buck more a gallon than whatever 93 octane fuel is going for at the local gas station that day.

Can you mix with normal 91 unleaded that contains ethanol?

Too Many Projects 01-10-2022 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyb (Post 1578121)
Can you mix with normal 91 unleaded that contains ethanol?

You can, but it's the ethanol you want to avoid. You don't have non-oxy gas where you are ? Stations around me discovered there is a BIG market for it and have added pumps over the past several years.

WILMASBOYL78 01-10-2022 10:21 PM

Fuel...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRSully (Post 1578118)
I drive to this small airport not far from me, drive right onto the ramps and load up 3- 5 gal jugs of avgas. Works almost exactly any other gas station, Drop your card in, hit 15 gallons and you're done. I would never drive my car to the pump, just load the jugs. Compared to race gas, it can be half the price. The L78 loves it, and it never goes bad. I have the timing all in just before 3k so you need to be careful with octane

Yeah, but you're at sea level :smirk: All those big block cars run better closer to the ocean...the salt air adds power :burnout:

Stay warm tonite...wilma

Xplantdad 01-10-2022 10:54 PM

Any of the RideNow Powersports stores should have 5 gallon cans of VP 110 racing fuel available in the parts departments (RideNow Chandler is off of Gilbert Rd and the 202 )

Pro Stock John 01-10-2022 11:11 PM

Shouldn't have to run straight 110 unless you are running a lot of timing. I'd try a 2:1 ratio to start. Maybe check if you can find VP, Sunoco in 5 gallon pails from a local speed shop.

67 Nova Boy 01-10-2022 11:27 PM

,I have about 10 Gallons of 112 Sunoco left, run it straight...No mixing I have a 302 with a

cross ram and run the green accelerator pump gaskets instead of Blue...the Blue ones leak

from the Racing gas so I run Green.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

Lynn 01-10-2022 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seventieshow (Post 1578114)

Some airports won't sell gas to walk ins, some will. The smaller the airport the better. 100LL avgas works well in old cars but will eventually be phased out.

Say it ain't so!!!!

Bill Pritchard 01-10-2022 11:59 PM

Marty,

Unless it has changed recently, the huge Love's Truck Stop at the SE corner of Wild Horse Pass Blvd & I-10 sells racing fuel at a pump, since it is adjacent to Wild Horse Pass Motorsports park. That has to be pretty close for you if you're in Chandler.

x33rs 01-11-2022 12:07 AM

I run the same 91 octane here in Arizona in all the cars.

The 69 Z with 11:1 compression my wife daily drives for the last 6 years and it's had nothing but 91 octane. My 70 Formula with 10.13:1 compression is the same and I drive that one nearly everyday myself.

We have a few other cars with high compression that also use nothing but 91 octane, one of them makes 724 hp on it, on motor alone.

When I built these engines I took steps to make sure the higher compression would live on the cat pee we have at the pumps by doing things like making sure the pistons are at zero deck for tight quench, degreeing the camshaft so intake valve opening is about .030-.035" more than exhaust at TDC overlap stroke, hardened seats, stainless valves, and a bunch of time, usually on a dyno, with tuning the carbs and dialing in a good ignition curve with proper vacuum advance etc....because I don't like to give up power either. Going through this isn't a cheap endeavor and may not be an option for those with survivor cars, but it's what I do to make these cars live with what's easily available while still maintaining what makes these engines so great.

I started building engines like this more than 20 years ago simply because mixing fuel had already started to become a problem and way too expensive even back then. I can't even imagine going through that now. Plus we drive our classics daily, everywhere. They have to run what ever I can find at the pumps.

big gear head 01-11-2022 01:01 AM

I retard the timing on mine when I run pump gas. It makes a little less power, but it doesn't damage itself. I use recreational gas on the street. It doesn't have any alcohol in it, so I don't get vapor lock.

60sStuff 01-11-2022 02:16 AM

I have a place close by that sells race fuel.

I’ll take a couple GI 5 gal. cans and fill with 110 and mix 50-50 with the 91 octane pump gas.

They like it.

bilede 01-11-2022 04:14 AM

Loves truck stop in Chandler has 103 and 110 octane racing fuel for sale at the pump. Can get to it by heading south of Chandler Blvd on 56th St about 2 miles if you want to avoid freeways or take I-10 south to the Wild horse pass exit and its on east side of freeway.

martyb 01-11-2022 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! I’m 1 mile from the Chandler Airport, going to see if I can get some AV fuel there. If not I’ll head to Loves and pay their crazy high prices. Been there with my Viper for some 100 octane.

AZ guys, any recommendations locally for a good thorough tune up?

Pro Stock John 01-11-2022 03:46 PM

Plus you can get a couple 5 gallon fuel jugs and keep a little on hand.

Flying Undertaker 01-11-2022 05:18 PM

I use VP C-12 and mix it with 91, 92 octane pump gas. Your car will tell you what the right ratio to mix it with for best results.

Pro Stock John 01-11-2022 05:45 PM

What is the rating of this av gas, web says it's all 100 octane?

martyb 01-11-2022 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 1578197)
What is the rating of this av gas, web says it's all 100 octane?

Correct, 100 octane.

Chuck_Burg 01-11-2022 07:16 PM

I mix 5 gallons of VP or Sunoco 110 leaded in with California 91 octane in our stone stock 67 L78. ZERO pinging, not even with 38* total timing but I keep it at 36*.. Works good, smells better... We don't drive it too much, once or twice a month.

firstgenaddict 01-11-2022 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seventieshow (Post 1578114)

YES it will be phased out HOWEVER the replacement will be AVIATION GRADE 100 octane no lead and ZERO ethanol. Which is great for muscle cars.
The ethanol blend in street high octane fuel is what is causing so many issues with muscle cars, it changes the RVP which leads to boiling fuel in the fuel bowls and ethanol also leans the airfuel mixture as ethanol has 1/3 fewer BTU's as the same volume of gasoline, computer controlled engine can increase the fuel whereas a carb has the jets it has...
For example from 71 -72 the LT1 carb jetting leaned from 70-71 with a 72 primary to 1972 with a 68 primary.
If you are already leaner due to emissions in your carb then running a "lean" fuel the carb will be even leaner and your engine will probably run a little hotter.