Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 06-29-2016, 01:31 AM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,151 Times in 916 Posts
Default Re: Harry Mann 68 L78 / L88 Camaro

In the coming days, I am going to work on some small detail items. I snapped some pics as to my body of work ahead of me.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:35 AM
SCR Sponsor

Front emblem

Rear emblem
Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

From the pics I would suggest Safest rust remover and not replate stuff.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:16 AM

I agree with Charlie. It just will not look correct with all the detail items looking perfect against the 49 year patina.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:19 AM
SCR Sponsor

That is my plan. The evaporust is brewing as we speak.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:42 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

FYI, depending on how long it is soaking, the evaporust and safestrustremover will remove some types of plating, like the black oxide on bolts and the grey phosphate on the hinges. I once soaked a semi-rusty brake booster in the liquid and it washed clean the yellow cad plating on the booster, down to the bare metal. It is wonderful stuff on bare metal items that have no other preexisting surface plating. It won't affect paint unless the paint is hanging on to a rusty portion of the metal and then it will seap underneath, dissolve the underlying rust and the paint will float off in that spot.

Don't use it on pot-metal or cast white metal as it will get into the pits and then start dissolving the metal away. I learned that the hard way on a portion of a lower steering column. After soaking too long, it looked like it developed the automotive equivilent of smallpox.

P.S. Heat up the liquid and the part and it works much faster. Piror to dipping, I usually leave the item to be soaked and the jugs of liquid out in the sun a few hours, or I use that aquarium heater in the bucket. 75 to 80 degrees is fine.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Good points Steve. I had the same dilemma. I chose to soak the parts and remove the rust vs losing coatings. If you are careful and dont allow it to sit for really long periods of time you can save some of the coatings. What I did do was upon removing said parts from the evaporust I would let air dry (as long as they were not any black from the oxidation of rust). It sorta works as a prevention too although doesnt last long. I still use WD40 or light oil to continue the preservation of the finishes. I now use an old crockpot with evaporust and it cuts the time down to around an hour where I was waiting anywhere from 12-24 hours. Just have to watch your temps. As for the #7 the hood looks great!! I kept going with #7 and would rub the shit out of it like I was mad at it until I started to see less and less green on the towels.. Of course you will always see car color when waxing lacquer. James(firstgenaddict) & Mike Phillips from Auto Geek were my inspiration and who I read about with caring for original paints, tips and tricks and had phone conversations with both on opinions and thoughts about the green car. Heck I used #7 on everything from the heater box, firewall, core support, fender braces, inner fenders brackets and the whole underside of the car.. Even if it had rust on it and I couldnt use evapo I would rub it down with #7. Its some really good stuff. Great progress so far and look forward to seeing more.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Just noticed something. Your drvr inner fender had the holes and straps for the front end wiring harness.. Granted its different plants but only 1 build week apart but the green car does not have the holes for the straps.. Could it have been leftovers from 67 and 68 RS cars made it a requirement to have the inner fender updated..??.. Love the oddities of these cars.. Interesting stuff.

<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT:</span>

Also noticed another difference.. Upper Alt bracket has the bracket for the throttle spring vs no bracket and spring attaching to coil bracket..

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">For the record I am not claiming one correct over the other just find the differences as interesting</span>.</span>

Ok one other thing.. This car needs to be in the Survivor Section over on CRG.. Also would be a great candidate for the feature car over there as well..
Old 06-29-2016, 11:42 PM
SCR Sponsor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI, depending on how long it is soaking, the evaporust and safestrustremover will remove some types of plating, like the black oxide on bolts and the grey phosphate on the hinges. I once soaked a semi-rusty brake booster in the liquid and it washed clean the yellow cad plating on the booster, down to the bare metal. It is wonderful stuff on bare metal items that have no other preexisting surface plating. It won't affect paint unless the paint is hanging on to a rusty portion of the metal and then it will seap underneath, dissolve the underlying rust and the paint will float off in that spot.

Don't use it on pot-metal or cast white metal as it will get into the pits and then start dissolving the metal away. I learned that the hard way on a portion of a lower steering column. After soaking too long, it looked like it developed the automotive equivilent of smallpox.

P.S. Heat up the liquid and the part and it works much faster. Piror to dipping, I usually leave the item to be soaked and the jugs of liquid out in the sun a few hours, or I use that aquarium heater in the bucket. 75 to 80 degrees is fine. </div></div>

You were right about the phosphate coating.................pics to come [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/stupid.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2016, 11:47 PM
SCR Sponsor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cook_dw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just noticed something. Your drvr inner fender had the holes and straps for the front end wiring harness.. Granted its different plants but only 1 build week apart but the green car does not have the holes for the straps.. Could it have been leftovers from 67 and 68 RS cars made it a requirement to have the inner fender updated..??.. Love the oddities of these cars.. Interesting stuff.

<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT:</span>

Also noticed another difference.. Upper Alt bracket has the bracket for the throttle spring vs no bracket and spring attaching to coil bracket..

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">For the record I am not claiming one correct over the other just find the differences as interesting</span>.</span>

Ok one other thing.. This car needs to be in the Survivor Section over on CRG.. Also would be a great candidate for the feature car over there as well.. </div></div>

Darrel,

I had noticed the alternator bracket / accelerator spring deal myself. As I have mentioned in the past, the Camaro's are new to me. Being a Corvette guy, I'm used to one plant producing maybe 20,000 cars a year. The Camaro's are an entirely different beast in that respect.

For what is worth, this car was a special order and delivered at the end of April of 68.

To your point, I am finding the little details and differences in the cars to be fascinating myself.

Tim