Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 04-04-2024, 02:34 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,021 Times in 973 Posts

Oh my Mitch.......

Nice work by the way
The Following User Says Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 10:46 AM

Thanked 1,633 Times in 841 Posts

Lookin good Mitch!!
2013 Corvette Grand Sport 60th Anniversary
-Delivered to Bill Jacobs Chevrolet, Joliet, IL
NCRS#66003

“Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don’t.”-Pete Seeger

Dykstra Motorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to dykstra For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (04-06-2024)
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,393 Posts

I'm officially upside down on this project now...

As I was cleaning the floor of 50+ yrs of oil and dirt, I found this blue/grey color paint. I had known it was there from the install of the left rear foorwell 5 years previous. It is on the entire floor and under every piece of bracketry that was installed after the car would have completed the paint process. I have documented this very extensively with color photos for future reference. In asking for info on the color, I kept getting doubters that it was factory and no real help, other than a few people replying, yes, they had a first gen out of LOS that had that color and couldn't find info either, so just painted theirs black during restoration. Anyway, I've been falsely accused of being overly persistent at times, so decided to live up to that and loaded the car on the roll back and transported it to my local PPG jobber for a paint read to get something close to repaint with.

After getting the mix the next day, I sanded some of the new black trunk floor, shot it with SPI grey epoxy and then did a spray out of the paint. I knew before I even opened the can that it was wrong, as it defaulted to an ISUZU silver color, but I needed a test spray to see it and decide what to do with the color from there.

Unfortunately, the guy that does the tinting only works 2 days a week and I had to wait until the next Wednesday to go back. In the interim, I used a color swatch set that my son has from his days at Sherwin Williams, custom mixing paint. We found a color that was VERY close to the original, so I went to the local SW store and got 2 of those swatches to make an area large enough for the color reader and went back to the jobber on Wednesday. I showed him the pics on my phone and he said there was no way for him to get the grey to what I needed and that the reader didn't work properly, so he calibrated it and read the swatches. It came up with a completely different code that was close but still off. By removing equal amounts of black and white from the formula, he was able to add blue and it is very close to the samples. It was a little too blue, but by adding a small amount of the previous grey into it, I was able to get this color.
I'd like to add, that Carl, the jobber guy, said it was clearly an error with the reader and made up a whole new batch and played with tinting and comparing to the samples for almost an hour at NO CHARGE !! I couldn't thank him enough for his help

At this point, I'm OK with the color and it will be the entire floor, so not trying to get a perfect match to blend in. I proceeded to look all my blasting paraphernalia and after 7 hours of digging thru boxes and on shelves, I couldn't find the screen to reuse the media or replacement ceramic nozzles for the dead man valve, so they will be here this next week. Not a big disappointment for loss of time, as it has been cloudy/rainy and windy here and not conducive to blasting in the driveway. Looks like Wednesday this week will be the day.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
1967Z28 (Yesterday), 67since67 (Today), 69M22Z (Yesterday), big gear head (Today), dykstra (Today), jwbavalon (Yesterday), L78_Nova (Today), olredalert (Yesterday), PeteLeathersac (Yesterday), Tenney (Today)