Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 08-23-2023, 10:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,492 Times in 1,247 Posts

This is more what I am used to seeing:

(70 Truck, 87 passenger car and 87 truck, respectively)
Attached Images

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-23-2023 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:57 AM

Glad it’s going to work out, Now I’m not a very smart man, but how do you not look at the VIN on the title and hit the “stop, collaborate and listen” button. You own a few cars so naturally you know what it’s supposed to be.
Old 08-24-2023, 03:13 AM

Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,393 Posts

I knew about it when I bought it and had intended to do something right away. Then it went into storage and I forgot about this issue. I don't know that the story would have been any different 7 years ago, but I "thought" it was a done deal after the last visit to the DMV.

Keith, I've already printed out a bunch of info like that and am going back in person. I would hope proving the number on the title in person is NOT an actual vin would help someone use common sense and see that I'm not trying to swap vins, when the rpo codes don't follow the vin sequence used at all. I tried to find a phone number for the person the title was last issued too, but came up with nothing. From a web search of his name, he seems a little shady. The car had no clip and I think he acquired it without a title and just walked up to the cowl and wrote down the codes as the vin, but it's not a bonded title either and should have been when applying for a new title. The tag that they came from is not in the federally mandated location either, which should be a plus on my side. We'll see. I'm going to call and see if I can get an appointment with a higher level director to discuss this with, who can over ride the desk clerks decision.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 08-24-2023, 02:29 PM

Thanked 1,022 Times in 414 Posts

Why not sell it and get yourself a Chevelle that doesn't have this problem? You're fighting a huge uphill battle and this is not a 1 of 1 Chevelle. Just a thought.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:09 PM

Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Z28 View Post
Why not sell it and get yourself a Chevelle that doesn't have this problem? You're fighting a huge uphill battle and this is not a 1 of 1 Chevelle. Just a thought.
Well, see I'm a Taurus and Norwegian and their insistence on not having any common sense has me PO'd enough that I am now in fight mode. No, the car certainly isn't 1 of 1, but it is an Oshawa built car with documentation as a real SS, so it is worth fighting for, to me.

I sent an email on Monday, after being on hold for 20 minutes. I was able to get to someone via phone yesterday who had no ability, or desire, to understand this isn't covered under their law of switching vins.

I got a nice reply to my email today from a different person, who is willing to work with me, but they didn't seem to have looked at the file, as she wanted me to fill out the correction form that I already did. I explained everything I've already done in a polite reply and offered to forward any documentation she needed to get this done. Again, we'll see where this goes over the next few days.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
1967Z28 (08-25-2023), Big Block Bill (08-25-2023), dustinm (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 11:05 PM

Thanked 1,513 Times in 726 Posts

Wish I could remember for sure how I ended up handling a similar situation with my wife's old 69 Impala convertible. Somehow the State of Illinois (where I lived at the time) changed the capital letter 'S' in the middle of the VIN on the title to the numbers '75'. Nowhere near as goofy as your situation, Mitch, but still not the proper format for a Chevrolet VIN of that era. I know I considered taking the car to my local Police Department and having them verify the correct VIN and submit their statement to the State of Illinois, but if I ever did that, I certainly don't remember it. Probably more likely that I just sold the car with the incorrect VIN on the title.

Hope you are stocked up on liquor and/or antacids.

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Pritchard For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 06:04 PM

I had the same experience with a Jaguar I sold to a Guy on ebay that lived in Israel. Illinois SOS gave me a title with an "S" instead of a "5" or vice versa, I don't remember. When it arrived on the dock in Israel, the customs guys would not let it in the country until the title read correctly. So (3) weeks later and $400.00 to cover DHL / Fed Ex and fees from Illinois SOS for a corrected Title (and it was THEIR Mistake) I finally got it resolved. All the time waiting on the dock, unprotected or covered, this original 40,000 miles V-12 XJS sat.

They also gave me a title with 18 digits instead of the 17 it should have for a Tow Truck I bought brand new off of an MSO. Their computer should not even have had the ability to accept an 18 digit VIN at the time. go figure. I had to take the truck to the SOS Police office in Villa Park Illinois for them to inspect it and then took the paperwork to the Lombard Illinois SOS location for correction and once again they tried charging me for a corrected Title when it was their fault. The sad part is, I towed for the Illinois Secretary of State AND the Illinois State police at the time! NO Respect what so ever.

Being a Licensed Rebuilder and Parts recycler with the Secretary of State in Illinois, they have never been the smartest, or used common sense in my past dealings with good old Jesse White's staff. Hopefully the New Guy, Alexi Giannoulias does a better job.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Block Bill For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 09:15 PM

Bill, did Jesse White retire or die or something? He's been the SOS since Pluto was a pup.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:21 AM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard View Post
Bill, did Jesse White retire or die or something? He's been the SOS since Pluto was a pup.
Bill P., the Illinois Secretary of State election was held on November 8,2022.Incumbent Democrat Jesse White did not wish to seek re-election to a seventh term,so Alexi Giannoulias,a former state treasurer,won the open seat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
Big Block Bill (08-26-2023), Bill Pritchard (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard View Post
Wish I could remember for sure how I ended up handling a similar situation with my wife's old 69 Impala convertible. Somehow the State of Illinois (where I lived at the time) changed the capital letter 'S' in the middle of the VIN on the title to the numbers '75'. Nowhere near as goofy as your situation, Mitch, but still not the proper format for a Chevrolet VIN of that era. I know I considered taking the car to my local Police Department and having them verify the correct VIN and submit their statement to the State of Illinois, but if I ever did that, I certainly don't remember it. Probably more likely that I just sold the car with the incorrect VIN on the title.
I went on the IL SOS website and searched both the incorrect VIN for our old Impala (nothing listed) and the correct one, which did show up. Last title activity shown was in 2005 (4 years after I sold it) and it is now listed as "Rebuilt". Not sure what that means, but it's probably not a good thing