Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-11-2021, 07:40 PM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

I would recommend, if you are at the auction and see a fake - go to the auction company and tell them. DO NOT get inbetween a seller and buyer. You can incur legal jeopardy - even with your best intentions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
Pro Stock John (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 09:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

To answer the original posting heading.. Honesty in Auctions... Answer.. NO!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dannystarr For This Useful Post:
SPEEDYB (12-12-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,036 Times in 341 Posts

I can see starting a thread on here with vin and info, and expressing a concern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pro Stock John For This Useful Post:
Wakepowell (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 02:09 PM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj View Post
Just to set the record straight, Georgia does "title antiques".

If an old vehicle has a title it will be issued a new title if registered in Georgia.

If an old vehicle does not have a title, it will only be issued a registration slip when registered in Georgia.

If an old vehicle is on record as registered in Georgia without a title and then someone wants to register it in Georgia with a title(such as selling it to someone in Alabama, they title the vehicle there and then sell it to someone in Georgia with a title), it will not be issued a Georgia title.

I currently own a dozen or so titled and non titled vehicles in Georgia.
Thanks for setting me straight. Wasn't certain of the exact procedure, but do know there was some funny business in the title history.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the427king View Post
Uneducated buyers have no problem paying twice the market value of a real car for a FAKE car, yet uneducated AND educated buyers dont want to pay market value for a REAL car.
But who's to actually say what market VALUE is? This happened a couple years ago when the '69 Z28's were starting to go for LESS then what most thought they should due to market value? Was it 2019 this happened. I personally don't think the value of a '69 Z is where it is either, so I don't think about buying for me. Just my thoughts and opinion.

I revert back to the Bullet Mustang. Sold for 3.74 Million, yet almost 1/2 of the guys here thought it would go more.

There is always the VERY deep pocket guys that will pay crazy just because then can. I personally know of a guy who has done that a number times, and not just with cars. He "gave" my friend $250K more for a quoted construction job. He said he likes to help good people out.
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)

Last edited by EZ Nova; 12-12-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:44 PM

It is funny we are talking about a Canadian cars again. And yes because of all the GM of Canada documentation that is available, cars do get "made out of thin air" up here which is so sad. There was a time when people trusted Cdn. cars, not so much anymore.

And to boot, there are dirt bags up here that made a lot of $$$ recreating "dead, recycled" high dollar cars.

Fortunately, at least here in Ontario we can buy a Sellers Package from the provincial government and it clearly shows all the previous registered owners. And with a little bit of work (tougher now with cell phones), you can track down these previous owners and ask them all the pertinent questions needed to validate a vehicle. I do it all the time.

My point is, every car has to have a history. This applies to cars sold in the U.S., Canada and anywhere. And if there is zero history available, I would think VERY hard about running for the hills

So do your due diligence prior to an auction or wherever you may be looking at buying an expensive vehicle. Take Rick Nelsons very wise advice, protect yourself and hire an expert. If you are going to spend $75,000 - $????, try not to cut corners of an inspection fee which proportionally might only be 2% - 4% (I am guessing) of the total value. Think of what the value of your report would be to the next potential buyer when it comes time for you to sell it?

Paul
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CamaroNOS For This Useful Post:
dykstra (12-14-2021), markinnaples (12-13-2021), napa68 (12-12-2021), PeteLeathersac (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 07:16 PM

Totally agree, hire an expect, money well spent !
Lately into Beaumont SD's, 66,67,68 and 69 , including a 69 2 Dr Post Beaumont , an L78 2 Dr Post Chevelle LS6 Chevelle's, LS6 and L78 El Camino and Camaro fan ! Also 2 Cdn Documented COPO's, a COPO Camaro and COPO Chevelle Love GM Products
Old 12-12-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroNOS View Post
It is funny we are talking about a Canadian cars again. And yes because of all the GM of Canada documentation that is available, cars do get "made out of thin air" up here which is so sad. There was a time when people trusted Cdn. cars, not so much anymore.

And to boot, there are dirt bags up here that made a lot of $$$ recreating "dead, recycled" high dollar cars.

Fortunately, at least here in Ontario we can buy a Sellers Package from the provincial government and it clearly shows all the previous registered owners. And with a little bit of work (tougher now with cell phones), you can track down these previous owners and ask them all the pertinent questions needed to validate a vehicle. I do it all the time.

My point is, every car has to have a history. This applies to cars sold in the U.S., Canada and anywhere. And if there is zero history available, I would think VERY hard about running for the hills

So do your due diligence prior to an auction or wherever you may be looking at buying an expensive vehicle. Take Rick Nelsons very wise advice, protect yourself and hire an expert. If you are going to spend $75,000 - $????, try not to cut corners of an inspection fee which proportionally might only be 2% - 4% (I am guessing) of the total value. Think of what the value of your report would be to the next potential buyer when it comes time for you to sell it?

Paul

I agree about the unfortunate reality of Canadian cars raising eyebrows of suspicion. I used to hear Canadian docs were the best but now see that isn’t the case and it can be a red flag. I nearly bought a super rare (if it had been real) 69 Chevelle at auction that I found out later was 100% made up from the Canadian docs. Praise Jesus I was outbid by a guy with deep pockets that later found out it was a sham. I won’t point the car out but it was talked about on this site as a fraud a few years ago.

But, we figured out through the grapevine that the seller was making up big money cars from the Canadian docs for years, which is terrible. I like having money but obviously not enough to lie, steal, and potentially burn in Hell forever for it for a few years.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusher_Man View Post
I agree about the unfortunate reality of Canadian cars raising eyebrows of suspicion. I used to hear Canadian docs were the best but now see that isn’t the case and it can be a red flag. I nearly bought a super rare (if it had been real) 69 Chevelle at auction that I found out later was 100% made up from the Canadian docs. Praise Jesus I was outbid by a guy with deep pockets that later found out it was a sham. I won’t point the car out but it was talked about on this site as a fraud a few years ago.

But, we figured out through the grapevine that the seller was making up big money cars from the Canadian docs for years, which is terrible. I like having money but obviously not enough to lie, steal, and potentially burn in Hell forever for it for a few years.
So I can better understand and be informed. For a Canadian car to be created from available documentation, someone would have to create a VIN and Trim Tag correct. The VIN tag creation would be a criminal offense right?
Old 12-13-2021, 08:49 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

That,or they put on real authentic VIN & Trim tags from a donor car that was too far gone.
Canadian Docs do not verify a vehicle as a whole,only the VIN # assigned to an assembly.
No one checks the cars background or hidden VIN,because Hey,it's a Canadian documented car.