Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 03-17-2019, 10:35 PM

Question Best gas tank

Hey guys, I didn't do a search on this but it's probably been discussed and addressed here before. What I need is a recommendation for the best gas tank and sending unit out there to replace the original one in my '69 Nova.

Long story, long, I've had a "seepage" problem for quite some time and just thought it was normal. It seemed to only happen when I topped off the tank. That was until a few weeks ago when I took it out for a ride and noticed the gas gauge was kinda going down quicker than usual!! There was a strong smell of gas in the garage that night and it wasn't even a full tank this time. I was to park the car in my neighbors garage for a few weeks because of a remodel we're doing on our home. A few days before I was to bring it over to his house was the same day I noticed the gas gauge deal. I looked for a leak and my son actually noticed the rubber line going from the frame to the fuel pump was cracked and leaking. Great, that's an easy fix! So I bought some new fuel line and replaced it. Took the car over to my neighbors house and thought everything was fine. I asked him that evening if everything was okay and he said the smell of gas of really bad!!! Great!! So, I bought more fuel line to replace all of the locations where there is rubber hose. I have a 3/8" hose for the supply line and a 1/4" hose for the return line. I got to looking at it today and noticed the straps on the gas tank were damp!! The hoses going from the tank to the frame looked to be okay. Time to drop the tank and see where it's really coming from. The only place I could see gas coming out was where the 3/8" fuel line comes out of the sending unit. It was seeping out whenever I tipped the tank until gas was at that point. I was thinking of just getting a new sending unit but thought a better idea would be to replace the tank too! It'll be 50 years old in May so it's probably a good idea??!!

So, back to my original question.......what would you all recommend for a tank and sending unit??

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!!

Joe
Old 03-18-2019, 02:54 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I put a Spectra Premium Fuel Tank in my 69 Nova, with a real GM sending unit, and haven't had any problems with it. I got mine from Ground-Up here in the east, but I'm sure there is somewhere on the west coast to get them. The sending unit I have is an L-78 type with one 3/8 fuel line, no return line. Yours would be different with the return line, and you may not be able to get a GM sender.

https://www.ss396.com/nova/XT-46A.ht...pe=nova&year=0

https://www.ss396.com/nova/XSU-016.h...pe=nova&year=0

Last edited by Bill Rose; 03-18-2019 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:38 AM

Had the same problem with my 70 Nova. Took the sending unit to a radiator shop and had it soldered around the top where the line comes out. If you decide to do this, make sure to change the rubber seal.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nickey Nova View Post
Had the same problem with my 70 Nova. Took the sending unit to a radiator shop and had it soldered around the top where the line comes out. If you decide to do this, make sure to change the rubber seal.
Did the exact same thing on my 70 Nova also (after looking at what the NOS units went for)...
Old 03-19-2019, 01:13 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for all your input. I know that I had some work done on the tank many years ago and might have even changed out the sending unit?? Not sure what I'm going to do at this point but I'll keep you posted.
Xplantdad (03-19-2019)