Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Ebay & other seen ads section

Please note

Old 02-09-2020, 06:38 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,129 Times in 331 Posts

Not sure that the supervisor is talking about body numbers and vin numbers Phil. At St Louis I recall those being assigned sequentially by the computer at CO and plant respectively. William would see more sequencing errors (body number too late for vin) if human error.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:31 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergy View Post
Not sure that the supervisor is talking about body numbers and vin numbers Phil. At St Louis I recall those being assigned sequentially by the computer at CO and plant respectively. William would see more sequencing errors (body number too late for vin) if human error.
To be sure he is talking about exactly what is under discussion here.

Here is the take away- and this logic and order was confirmed with James Seim who also was a manager at St. Louis in 1968 before returning to Norwood in 1969.

VIN numbers typically fall in close during regular production and are therefore useful for tracking today.

Coach Data from the Fisher body plate also fall in close for production and are also useful for tracking today.

The Ordering information from the dealer created a build configuration and a build window for the order.

Neither of these three however individually determined the build order of the vehicle.

Once the parts were forecast as available the build was scheduled. The build information was finalized into the mainframe at the conclusion of the 72 hour advance planning meeting.

The arrival of the body at the Chevrolet Body bank was therefore confirmatory meaning Fisher data already in the mainframe was confirmed on arrival- Body number, and RPO content. Once the hidden VIN was applied the body was then locked in sequence for final assembly and the feeder lines then received the RPO sequencing information.

The only number that mattered to Chevrolet after the body was released was the assembly sequence number which started at 1 and progressed to 999 every day. Reliant upon the accuracy of the final sequencing was yet other sub computer programs such as ALPACA which adjusted element efficiency by balancing RPO content via assembly sequencing.

Taking a step back the main factor that determined the build approval for Fisher and the coach was the 72 hour forecast meeting that hinged upon the external parts availability forecast that was an entirely separate computer program to both divisions at Norwood.

I have been back and fourth on this issue and beat it to death to be sure it was factual before I captured it in the Book Echoes of Norwood.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:41 PM

In case this has been missed previously: Observe the delta between the VIN on these cars when compared to the assembly sequence.

There is a 103 unit difference in sequence and a 62 unit difference in VIN.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2020, 08:44 PM

phil - we’re kind of getting in the weeds here. Please address the vehicle body number issue. Your indication previously was that there are errors in body numbers. Not sure where sequence numbers were relevant to the body number/vin discussion.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
phil - we’re kind of getting in the weeds here. Please address the vehicle body number issue. Your indication previously was that there are errors in body numbers. Not sure where sequence numbers were relevant to the body number/vin discussion.
Ok this got started here back on page 1 In reply to William:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
Did you get the VIN yet?

Assuming that Z-11 production really ended in the 0-5A-05-B timeframe I would lean towards the idea of a key punch error on the IBM card.

Assuming the VIN corresponds to 05-C then current data based production assumptions may need a second look.

I was acting on the assumption that William may be on to something I replied to him in quotation and for what ever reason he did not reply to me directly.

So in order to further the discussion I called one of the guys I interviewed for the book and asked him for an opinion as to what could be afoot here with this specific car. He was completely consistent in telling me again what occurred for the purposes of production scheduling with respect the the nature of this thread, which is an 05-C Z-11 and opinions as to how and why this car was built with the body plate "as is".

He offered his opinion which I posted. You replied somewhat contesting the some of the factual content of what I posted concerning the phone call:

Quote:
I replied twice to you in order to adequately service your reply to me. If we are in the weeds here I do regret my inability to boil down technical concepts. Please let me know if any additional information is needed and I will be happy to assist the forum in understanding how this car was very likely built back in 1969.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:15 PM

Ok so Key punch error How could this happen?

Each unit had multiple IBM Data cards including a card for the imprinting of the body plate. Each is manually punched and automatically collated by the machine.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2020, 10:19 PM

The Process is completed by the Graphitype Machine where the now punched IBM cards are fed into a tower where they are scanned and then converted in to typeset and then a tractor feeder sends one body plate at a time to be auto embossed.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2020, 10:20 PM

The body Plate (Trim Tag) is only as accurate as the punch made on the IBM card.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:36 AM

Ugh - maybe I should speak directly to the supervisor you are speaking to and compare notes Phil. The key punch room was directly down the main hallway from plant engineering at St Louis. As students, we were actually assigned in there for work section experience. I’m not sure what error he is referring to on this TT.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:05 PM

The purpose for the call was concerning the body plate error/human error theory. He told me not to over think it

In summary He thought the error was possible but not normal.

How about a key puncher lady? Last time I spoke to them there were two them that were still pretty sharp. If they will speak to you they will tell you about punching IBM cards 8-10 hours a day non-stop.

Do you have a copy of Echoes Yet?