Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Photos of Proteam's Barn Found L88-Restored

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of stirring debate, someone is going to judge the stamp pad at an NCRS event this year (can't imagine who that might be) so how do you think it will go? It is, admittedly, a replacement motor, so, how should it be judged? Based on the pictures (bad move) will it pass muster?

[/ QUOTE ]Mark, based on the rules currently in place, I would guess that the stamp will pass the muster so to speak. At least everyone in the Corvette community knows the history of the car so hopefully whoever buys the car will know its history and buy it for what it is not what they think it is.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any pictures of the undercarriage of that car? I believe we outfitted it with one of our new Corvette exhaust systems and since it is such a high profile car I wanted to see how it looks.

Eric Gardner

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen any yet
Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of stirring debate, someone is going to judge the stamp pad at an NCRS event this year (can't imagine who that might be) so how do you think it will go? It is, admittedly, a replacement motor, so, how should it be judged? Based on the pictures (bad move) will it pass muster?

[/ QUOTE ]
This car looks real nice , should go 98% or higher ?? range,NCRS Top Flight , AND BLOOMINGTON GOLD,
Nabor brothers did a great job, I think it will be at the Special Collection this year
Old 05-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I posed the same question about the "Last '67" and got a mouth full by some Proteam faithfuls on this board. I think if this same car or any other bbc '67 was brought to an NCRS or Bloomington meet and the owner wasn't of high status in the Corvette circle, the car would be booted if the pad was found to be a restamp. I am an NCRS and Bloomington fan, I think they're the single greatest organizations for the preservation and restoration of any collector car of any make out there. The system needs clear refinement.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 PM

I agree with mosport and while I admire what NCRS and Bloomington Gold in what they are trying to achieve, the system is in need of revision. Whether each of those organizations like it or not, their top awards validate, authenticate cars for a lot of uneducated buyers. The more people that get burned the worse it is for the overall health of the hobby. What I do not agree with mosport is that a judge will evaluate a pad based on apperance not if he knows its a restamp. In other words if the pad looks to be typical production it will pass even if he knows its a restamp, thats the problem in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:56 PM

Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,144 Posts

To be clear, if you admit it's a restamp doesn't the car get 'boxed' and can't pass this judging area...legit looking restamp or not?.

Is NCRS and Bloomington's definition of a "restoration engine" an admitted restamp or not?.

~ Pete
Old 05-12-2009, 06:04 PM

Pete, the car will not be boxed even if the owner admits its a restamp. A restoration engine is a polite way to say restamp. The judging is based on "appearance" Bloomington/NCRS promotes restoration/preservation. They do not condone counterfeiting.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 AM

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts

On the same note, the owner of a car is not asked if the engine is a restamp or if it is the original motor. No ask, no tell. I don't know of anyone that would volunteer the fact that their engine is not the original one and any word of mouth isn't supposed to influence the judges. That being said, a judging leader may recommend that a car be removed from judging rather than move forward with the process.
If the judges are certain that an engine is not the original stamp, they may convey this to the owner and offer them the opportunity to withdraw the car rather than have it put in writing that the engine is not typical factory production. This holds true for an even worse offense, the trim tag or VIN plate.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 AM

In my opinion, the true judging is the sale price. Educated consumers will pay more for a car with an original motor and paperwork. I think?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 AM

I agree with Chris in that the very best cars usually trade quietly among collectors for big money. The problem is that lots of buyers do not want to make the investment in time ie. getting involved within the hobby, educating themselves and getting to know the people who know where the best cars are at. For these people it's a whole lot easier to buy a car with a Top Flight award or Bloomington Gold award then it is to get invloved if you will.