Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-15-2015, 02:47 PM

Default Re: 1 million dollar 69 Yenko SuperCar

To my way of understanding, why would a test mule/pilot be needed period, albeit for Don Y.? Yenko had been doing conversions for quite some time already and knew what the car could do. Handling, braking etc...would be no different than a 396 car. Performance acceleration would be a couple of tenths in the 1/4 better than a L78. That was the only difference. Most all the characteristics of BB Camaros were known for a year and a half (Mid 67-thru 68). What would a mule tell them (GM & Yenko)? The only thing I could see would be for the Norwood plant to understand the components needed to do a COPO. I would think a "test" car would have been destroyed?

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
Old 10-15-2015, 04:00 PM

This may not be of interest to most at this time, but I'd like to comment on something "William" said in this thread that was referenced earlier. I took a look at it and had forgotten the overspray issue was discussed and I had posted some photos. I feel a follow-up is necessary.
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/402777/2

His quote was:
"The Manufacturers Statement of Origin [MSO] is generated by the firm producing the vehicle. It is in effect a title sent to the dealer of record and NICB. Back in the day it was probably in the paperwork the new owner took to DMV to title and register a car. As stated some race cars were never registered and could be "on MSO" forever. These days the buyer never sees it as most states now require the dealer to immediately title & register vehicles upon purchase. Point is no car got out of Chevrolet without an MSO. They did sell cars Engineering used for evaluation; the Pete Estes '68 Z/28 convertible is probably the best known and had considerable documentation to back it up. The '67 and '69 Indy 500 track cars are also well documented examples. As I stated, back in my COPO tracking days I did many title/registration searches. To conclude anything about a 41 year old car showing no registration history [as you seem to have] is folly. Back in '69 some states did not title cars; some registered them by county-there was no state-wide system. Cars that go unregistered for a few years are deleted from the system.

Chevrolet has insisted for many years that it has no build records at all prior to 1977. How the GM Heritage Center was able to verify your car is of considerable interest to many Chevrolet muscle car owners.

As for the car itself there were errors made in the restoration. I posted a photo of an excellent example of factory engine paint-how can there be overspray along the sides of the intake when the entire top of the engine was covered during paint? I was in the parts end of the business for 15 years; we had dozens of used HP aluminum intakes and I have seen hundreds more in the last 35 years. I have never seen more than a very slight amount on either end.<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"> How 409s with painted rocker covers may have been painted doesn't apply.</span></span>

No one has stated you car is not what you claim it to be. Unfortunately the hobby has become inundated with fake body &amp; VIN tags, re-created &quot;aged&quot; paperwork, re-stamped drivetrains and all sorts of fast-buck types making claims. Completely fake cars have been sold and are now in litigation. The audience has become quite jaded as you can imagine. Making claims about a historic provenance of ANY muscle car requires more than you have shown.&quot;

If the same procedures were used to protect aluminum manifolds in '62 as in later years, why does the '62 evidence not apply? A vacuum formed plastic mask was laid on top of the intake prior to painting in '62 as in later years. The results are shown in the photos I posted in that thread. I don't understand the relevance of the comparison to &quot;painted valve covers&quot; to the topic of intake overspray. Certainly there could not have been ONE mask that covered both the intake AND the valve covers. In that case, there would be no paint at all on the intake surface of the heads. In the 409 era, Tonawanda used disposable plastic molded valve covers on the heads when the engines were painted. They were also used during the test runs prior to paint. I just wanted to point out that if the procedure was the same, then the results were the same.
Verne

Old 10-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Excellent write up and comments Verne.. To add to this I will submit a photo from JohnZ and the link to thread about engine paint over on CRG. You can see the mask that they used over the pad stamping area, the lower rad hose connection &amp; the bypass hose and upper rad connection.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.p...ic=11414.0;all
Old 10-15-2015, 06:04 PM

Thanks Darrell. I learned something new. I thought they just put masking tape over the stamp pad.

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif[/img]
BTW, the photo of your painted engine in that thread looks perfect to me. What paint did you use?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Thanks!.. You're gonna laugh but its duplicolor DE1620 out of a spray can...

Old 10-15-2015, 11:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Hey Darrell. Good to read your posts.

427 engine... oval port and square port builds

Muscle Car Mechanic and Engine Builds.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:37 PM

I used Duplicolor on my engine too...great stuff! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cook_dw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks!.. You're gonna laugh but its duplicolor DE1620 out of a spray can...

</div></div>
I currently own a 1969 Camaro SS350. Although the original drivetrain is long gone, this 4/speed car has a March '69 HC coded block with #041 heads. The transmission is an M20 Muncie #660 case and the rearend is a BS coded 12 bolt posi. Built in Van Nuys.