Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default "USA 1 See America's First" License Plates

There's an old post on here about the introduction of Chevrolet's License Plate with slogan "USA 1 See America's First!":
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/347335/2

In this post it mentions that Chevrolet first made this plate from 65-67, using cardboard backing, and that this plate was reissued during mid 1970 production using a heavier plate that no longer used the cardboard backing. This post also mentions that this reissued plate may have been used as early as 1968, but that wasn't certain. As some of you know I am restoring my '69 Camaro Pacecar #2, and as part of this restoration I was looking at old photos from the Indy500 museum. What I found was that this reissued plate was installed onto the Festival and both Pacecars, so there is photographic evidence showing usage of this plate as early as May of 1969.

Attached are zoom-in pictures I took of pictures I got from the Indy500 museum archives. One pair (in black/white) is the front and rear plates of a Festival car, and the other is the front plate of the #1 Pacecar (in color).

Also, I have one of these plates, but I would like a couple more, in case anyone has one.

- Wade

[img]<a href="https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pic...car1_fron" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pic...car1_fron[/img]</a>
[img]<a href="https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pic...ival_car_" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pic...ival_car_[/img]</a>
[img]<a href="https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pic...ival_car_" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pic...ival_car_[/img]</a>
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM

Default Re: "USA 1 See America's First" License Plates

I couldn't get the pics to show up...does Vernon Smith have one of these plates too Wade? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 PM

I just tried again to attach the pictures, but it fails. Two are 1.6M, and one is 2M, but it sounded like there was a 4M size limit. Not sure what's up, maybe someone can advise me.

As for Vernon, actually Gary Riley is restoring my car, and has Vernon's car at his shop as well. So I already relayed my findings to Gary. Gary doesn't think Vernon has one yet, which is why I was asking if anyone out there has a few of these. I have one, I'd like one more to have 2 for my car, and my guess is that Vernon would like two as well.

- Wade
Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 PM

Here is what the first plates produced looked like, or maybe these are the second version but still in the 65 to 67 era, since I have heard that the very first had slanted lettering in the middle of the little blue Chevrolet emblem at the top.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 PM

Thanks John. Yes, that's what seems to be on the '69 pacecars as well. I'm sorry that I can't seem to post these pics, not sure why. On my pacecar pics I can't zoom in enough to see if the 'Chevrolet' in the bowtie is in italics or not, but the previous post seemed to mention that the '65-'66 versions were with italics, and the later versions were like yours. So my guess is that the '69s were like yours.

Does yours have a cardboard backing, or is it a solid metal plate?

As for my pictures, I'd be happy to email them to someone who could post them for me.
- Wade
Old 09-17-2014, 11:56 PM

The one I pictured has a cardboard back. You can see a &quot;T&quot; impressed in the cardboard or maybe you would call it some type of fiber backing, with a thin steel plate wrapped around it to make the front side. By the way, that plate wasn't mine, just an appropriate plate I found a picture of.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 09-18-2014, 01:29 AM

I recognize those fingers .....and the Kroydon golf balls! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

BIG
Old 09-18-2014, 05:49 AM

OK, I'm attaching my pictures now (hopefully!). The two black/whites are of a Festival car, and the color is from the #1 Pacecar.
- Wade

Old 09-18-2014, 03:04 PM

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,243 Posts

The &quot;T&quot; on the upper backside is not a makers mark,but rather an alternative place to hang it on a peg board or,once pierced.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:19 PM

I have the steel version on my Camaro, same look as the Aluminum plate with the cardboard backing. I bet this is the plate on the Pacers not the Aluminum plate.

BIG