Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-29-2021, 03:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

From the pics of the build sheet this car was mis built with a 772 fan blade. Should of been a 064 fan.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:21 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Crickets ?
Old 11-01-2021, 03:08 AM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

I really would like to get resolution on the statement that the build sheet for this car is a repo.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:32 AM

Perhaps that one is a copy, but I inspected the build sheet inside the passenger door panel of this car in 2001 when we were trying to free up the hardened latch grease inside the passenger door latch mechanism. There is nothing to worry about on this car.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:02 AM

Default 20 Years Ago

This car was owned by well-known low-mile collector Anthony Pate. I installed the smog system for him in 2001. It is not original to the car. I gathered together the best stuff I could find from several sources, including my own collection of parts. Original inked hoses, NOS 5361992 check valves, new (but undated) Wittek clamps, repro belt, new GM stub tubes, pump, original paint bracket, pulley, pipes, correct hardware and other details. Normally I wouldn’t have given away any of my parts, but this car deserved better than any other 1970 Chevelle so I gave it the best stuff I could gather together at the time. I was honored to do the job. I didn’t even care if I got paid for my work or advice.

And yes, it was in Northern Rhode Island at Anthony’s warehouse. He also had it displayed briefly in Milford, Massachusetts, not far from where I grew up, near the intersection of Route 16 and Beaver Street. He had a doctor friend who was trying to broker the car at the time.

I met Anthony at the Riley’s Roast Beef weekly cruise in Nobscot, Massachusetts. The show had largely dispersed one night, but I stuck around because there was an amazing original paint green SS 396 Impala ragtop complete with original resonators in the parking lot. The owner was eating dinner inside so I waited for him so we could talk about the Impala. Once we got talking and he learned I was an LS6 survivor nut, Anthony told me about his then 24-mile LS6. I had read a very brief rumor about such an LS6 car from the south in one of the magazines when I was a kid in the 1980s. I couldn’t believe I had accidentally stumbled upon it.

Over the next several months, I visited Anthony’s collection several times. His specialty is late-fifties to mid-sixties survivors, so he didn’t feel like the LS6 was a long-term part of his collection. He wanted me to help get it ready for sale. In addition to the smog system, I installed an NOS T3 low beam from my own collection and a few other minor details that I can’t remember. As far as fluffing is concerned, this car is today pretty much as it has always been. It’s always been my favorite LS6 survivor. I swore I’d own it someday, but it seems to be in a very good home, so I’m happy.

I remember one crazy incident where a young kid who had just got into some big money had put a thousand-dollar deposit on the car. Anthony wanted me there the night he was to arrive to pick up the car. The kid drove a trailer to Rhode Island from almost across the country. Maybe Minnesota? I can’t remember. This kid knew nothing about old muscle cars, never mind the irreplaceable and special nature of survivor cars. He had just bought a mid-80s Monte Carlo SS and the LS6 was to be his next purchase. He showed up and told Anthony he was going to go turn his truck around. I don’t even remember seeing the kid. He went out to move his rig, got in his truck and drove home. We were stunned. I don’t know what gave him cold feet, but thank God that green hammerhead didn’t end up with the car. We probably wouldn’t be talking about it 20 years later.

Anthony had a helper that noodled around with his cars for him. I think his nickname was Buzzy. There was a battery acid incident with the modern Delco unit they had in the car. I think the inner fender suffered a bit from it. There was also a passenger door latch issue. The grease had solidified in the latch and I found Buzzy with the door panel off one night spraying solvent and using something to loosen things up in there. He made me nervous. His sense of practicality outmatched any urge he may have had to take it easy, go slow and be careful. Incidentally, we got to see the passenger panel build sheet that Atlanta had placed there. That’s the one roll of film that I never developed.

Unfortunately, years later Anthony told me that Buzzy had passed away driving a 62 Impala down to Florida. A rear control arm came loose on the highway and it was over. Awful. I don’t remember him much except that he was a really likeable guy and a good friend to Anthony.

Whatever auction or sale Anthony bought the car through, he mentioned that the original owner had a low-mile L72 Biscayne too. Anthony didn’t buy the LS6 from the original owner, but the two cars were still together and he declined the chance to buy the Biscayne. I didn’t pay much attention to that story at the time. It wasn’t until many years later after my buddy Dave Bongerzone bought a low-mile L72 Biscayne that I realized that that had to be the same car. I didn’t think of that story at all until Dave had owned the car for a while. It dawned on me one day while I was waiting for my truck to pass inspection. I called Dave and verified that the dealership was the same as the LS6. Both cars even have the same inspection sticker on the windshield. It’s a small survivor car world.

Anyway, I took as many pictures of the car as I could back in those pre-digital camera days. Attached are a few pictures of the engine right before I installed the smog system.
Attached Images

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JEFF GHILANI For This Useful Post:
1972convss454 (11-01-2021), 67since67 (11-01-2021), 69M22Z (11-01-2021), Big Block Bill (11-01-2021), Charley Lillard (11-01-2021), GotGrunt (11-02-2021), L72Biscayne (11-03-2021), ls6owner (11-01-2021), L_e_e (11-01-2021), markinnaples (11-01-2021), Oldss (11-01-2021), olredalert (11-01-2021), RPOLS3 (11-01-2021), SS427 (11-01-2021), Tenney (11-01-2021), Xplantdad (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Lillard View Post
I really would like to get resolution on the statement that the build sheet for this car is a repo.
I don't know why my edit didn't save but soon after I posted it was a repro, I edited the comment to say it kind of looked like a repro to me but I wanted to see a pic of the original sheet, not a photocopy. (Tried editing it again just now). I didn't want to say it was a repro for sure until seeing more photos. (Realized I should change it right after I posted it!) The photos of the original would definitely help. Someone must have pictures of the original? Usually I can tell right away but it's harder with a photocopy or without a good scan of the photocopy. Would love to know for sure.

Last edited by TAR6569; 11-01-2021 at 08:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TAR6569 For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 10:06 PM

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts

Lets nip this in the Bud right now,that's it's original,authentic,100% Born with Build sheet.
Even a Xerox copy shows that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
Charley Lillard (11-01-2021), KLars1 (11-02-2021), PeteLeathersac (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
Lets nip this in the Bud right now,that's it's original,authentic,100% Born with Build sheet.
Even a Xerox copy shows that.
Someone sent me the link of the youtube video with the close up of the other build sheet. That one looks more like a repro. Probably got confused between the two. Would still be nice to see a pic of the original from the red car.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:06 AM

It's very possible that the only authentic build sheet for that car is still in the door panel. Anthony did not have another one at the time I was with the car. I told him to leave it in the door panel given the original nature of the car and the fact that that particular location is safe from mice being on the outside of the steel door box and up high. I still think it is best to leave it there on this particular vehicle.

If the owners want to see it you can carefully pry out the highest steel panel clip (being super careful not to chip paint or rip the cardboard panel backing, of course). Once the clip is free, you can usually pull the panel a bit and see the Atlanta sheet in there. Here is a picture of the sheet as advertised when the car was on eBay in 2005. It looks like the same copy you guys are talking about. This tells me it is all they have. We may have scanned the original when the panel was off. That might be where the current image came from. I can't remember, but I was adamant that they leave the original sheet glued to the panel.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JEFF GHILANI For This Useful Post:
Charley Lillard (11-02-2021), KLars1 (11-02-2021), L78_Nova (11-02-2021), PeteLeathersac (11-02-2021), TAR6569 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard View Post
Many years ago there was a now-defunct car magazine that I subscribed to. They had an article on a 59 Impala, 348, 3 speed manual, that had only about 30 miles or so on it. The owner had bought it new.....think it was in either North or South Carolina. He was fussin' over it after he brought it home from the dealership and someone razzed him and told him he should just put it up on jack stands and never drive it so it would stay clean. So that's what he did. Fortunately, he was fanatical in his care of the car, because it was still as new. Only drove it one other time, when he bought a different house and moved. Just a wee bit eccentric, I guess.
Funny that you mention that white 1959 Impala in a discussion about the red car. Anthony was trying to find that car when I met him. I had the magazine and I knew the car as soon as he referenced it, so I gave him my copy. He told me that if I found that ‘59 he would trade the LS6 for it. I remember the article said the owner was blind and had the car up on jack stands so the springs wouldn’t settle and the doors cracked a bit so the weatherstrip wouldn’t take a set. I believe the car had never even been dealer prepped. Factory seat protection and wheel covers still in the trunk. Police package suspension, I think. I’ve always wondered if that car is still sitting there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEFF GHILANI For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (11-02-2021), Bill Pritchard (11-02-2021)