Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 04-13-2022, 01:04 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,170 Posts

It is kind of like polishing deep scratches out of glass. There is material that is missing. Even though it is not deep, you have no choice but to remove the material around each place that is etched to get it even.

There is an alternative. I had some aluminum valve covers with light etching like that. I sandblasted them (very low pressure) to give the surface a more uniform look, then painted with high heat ceramic engine paint (aluminum color) and baked them in the oven at 400 degrees. They still look good today.

Assuming the wheels are dead true, it is possible for a really good lathe operator to re-machine that area taking off just a few thou. But, you probably only get one chance.

Personally, I think I would follow Crush's advice, and just leave them as is. JMHO, but not everything has to be perfect. Some patina just proves it is vintage. In the antique world, some things are ruined once restored.
bergy (04-13-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 12:19 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

What I've used in the past on a set of TT D's polished lips that were stained by oxidation and brake fluid was aluminum wheel cleaner, 0000 steel wool and then polish with a wheel attachment on a drill. As always try it on a junk wheel or area and use caution when getting near the painted (or non polished) portion of the wheel. It will change the color on the darker gray portion of the wheel but try cleaning and then use hand polish to just give it a difference in appearance. Also if you don't have a lathe easily available then bolt the wheel onto the rear of a car on stands and put the car in drive and go to town on polishing the lip. Just use caution as this can be dangerous.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook_dw For This Useful Post:
bergy (04-14-2022)