Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 04-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Reminds me of the old Cape Cod Route 6 from Dennis to Orleans. It was known as "Suicide Alley". It was three lanes with a center suicide lane for both to use for passing. Uncountable number of fatal accidents over the decades until they repaved it as a NO PASSING single lane in both directions, in the late 1980's. Absolutely insane idea as originally designed.

I remember being on a family vacation in Orleans, MA, in the 70's as a kid and seeing a horrendous multi-fatal accident scene involving a station wagon and some unknown other car so destroyed you couldn't tell what it was. Both cars wound up in the treeline. We stopped because my dad was an ER Surgeon at the time and wound up directing the medics on who to take first and who could...wait. I remember him ORDERING us to all stay in the car just down the street.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._R..._Massachusetts

Last edited by njsteve; 04-06-2022 at 09:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
70 copo (04-07-2022), markinnaples (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 02:17 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,487 Times in 609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
In multiple threads here over the years I have predicted increasingly onerous regulations that would limit, restrict, or ban the operation of cars in the near future. Here the priority of the road is turned upside down favoring bikes over cars.

This is what our future looks like. This is the steppingstones to the full implementation of Agenda 2030. You will own nothing and be happy.

Do you listen to the No Agenda podcast? If not check it out. Give it 5 episodes before abandoning it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook_dw For This Useful Post:
70 copo (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 12:18 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

As an aside where I live- the city took a more common sense approach as when the roads were resurfaced they added either one or two bike lanes while preserving the roadway, in essence converting the roadway shoulders into designated bike travel lanes and round abouts.

This was funded by "Complete Streets"

https://highways.dot.gov/complete-streets

In areas where this was not feasible the federal money was used to convert abandoned rail lines into paved bike trails too. ("Rails To Trails")

https://www.railstotrails.org/policy/trade/

Usually, where actions like this are taken without the consent of the taxpayers affected there is a funding pot that the city wants,-and to get it they have to perform but it is widely unpopular and must be forced upon those affected.

https://hive.blog/agenda2030/@venomn...to-agenda-2030
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2022, 12:20 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Here is the update to the Mira Mesa story:

Old 04-07-2022, 05:13 PM

Thanked 3,935 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
Here is the update to the Mira Mesa story:

What could possibly go wrong with that???
Old 04-07-2022, 08:00 PM

That’s even stupider than what they do in Boston
And they are pretty stupid over this bicycle crap…
1971 442 W 30 holiday coupe
Old 04-07-2022, 10:05 PM

Thanked 3,758 Times in 1,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Reminds me of the old Cape Cod Route 6 from Dennis to Orleans. It was known as "Suicide Alley". It was three lanes with a center suicide lane for both to use for passing. Uncountable number of fatal accidents over the decades until they repaved it as a NO PASSING single lane in both directions, in the late 1980's. Absolutely insane idea as originally designed.

I remember being on a family vacation in Orleans, MA, in the 70's as a kid and seeing a horrendous multi-fatal accident scene involving a station wagon and some unknown other car so destroyed you couldn't tell what it was. Both cars wound up in the treeline. We stopped because my dad was an ER Surgeon at the time and wound up directing the medics on who to take first and who could...wait. I remember him ORDERING us to all stay in the car just down the street.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._R..._Massachusetts
----Steve,,, I think you are referring to 6A as that is what you are describing. RT. 6 is a divided 4 lane highway that runs from the bridge all the way to P-town. 6A does something similar but runs along the north coast of the Cape and is two lane all the way. Way more of a fright show, considering all the retired's and people coming home from the numerous bars along there......Bill S
Old 04-08-2022, 11:20 AM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

I believe they split 6 and 6A so they could amortize their tourist deaths in a more efficient fashion?
The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
olredalert (04-08-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 11:51 PM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

A week after the city of San Diego implemented a confusing single-lane roadway in Mira Mesa in order to add bike lanes, Mayor Todd Gloria's office informed residents that workers will return the street striping to its original design.

Furthermore, the mayor, who visited the neighborhood on Friday, said that plans to implement the ABL design in Point Loma were "on hold," as were plans for implementing the ABLs in other communities in San Diego.

Residents of the proposed radical change to a street in Point Loma told NBC earlier this week that they no idea they were days away from a lunatic departure from reality
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
70 copo (04-11-2022)