Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Ebay & other seen ads section

Please note

Old 06-21-2019, 12:36 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Got the wrong lower pulley on it also.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Often times when I read these threads I sit back and observe the attention to details that this group has. I’m astounded by how far people will go to make a buck on the backs of hard-working people. I also know that buyer beware with anything and always best to consult an expert to ensure you’re getting what you are paying for. These fraudulent documents would’ve fooled me sad to say.So thanks to this group for this continuous effort to keep the hobby and cars authentic from someone who’s not nearly as knowledgeable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crush For This Useful Post:
dustinm (06-21-2019), MYSTERYCHEVELLE (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:06 PM

Nobody should be surprised in my opinion that this stuff goes on. I'm not saying it's right or that it's not shameful or makes me upset but this is not NEW. What's slightly new is the increased sophistication of faking cars. But with the way we are in 2019 with computers and digital imaging and graphics and the list goes on and on, this is not unlike anything else in the world that gets faked.... If there is value to something and it can be faked.... It will be.

From hand bags to watches to precious stones and oil paintings.

In the car hobby, people love to focus on the engine deck stamp and broach marks and then on to the Vin Tag and Trim Tag and factory rivets..... All of which are routinely faked, or made in reproduction and overtly sold. People still seem to get hung up on DOCUMENTS though.... as if for some reason, if a car has a build sheet or invoice, protecto plate, window sticker.... and oh my!!! If they look old... Have a stain or a rip., they must be legit ? No Way!! Buyers Need to Wake up. This aging of docs has been going on for years and just getting better and better. Partly due to the above increased capability we have at our fingertips and partly .... Sadly.... Because people post their original paperwork on bulletin boards for what do you think? Or just because. Then, those moles are watching and saving them so when they go to reproduce and age them.... they have a wonderful blueprint to use.

So Stop postng these things I say. Get your expert advice but do it privately. Just my opinion mind you.

These aged invoices and build sheets and the like are coming out of many places but Canada has a few well known guys doing this for a nice price tag.

There's another Black 67 SS L-78 with Red Interior changing hands out there with the same aged docs and they came out of Canada best of my knowledge. and this was as far back as 2009. So it's not New my friends. It's sad and it's frustrating and there are many car owners out there, some possibly reading this....who probably own cars that are not what they think and I advise everyone to occasionally have someone verify even that car you bought 15 years ago.

Sorry for my ramble. I'm passionate about this hobby and I do get upset when I see this stuff but I get just as upset at Naive Buyers.

They made 612 1967 Chevelles with the 396/375hp engine. They are extremely RARE to find. Very Rare to find with drivetrain intact and not just a USED TO BE Rare Car. Think about it? 612. How many still exist? How Many Exist with Drivetrain intact? Verified? With Docs? Restored? You aren't buying one of these for $50,000 or $60,000 and certainly should not be buying without having it verified by a trusted CHEVELLE Expert. Not a Camaro expert or a Corvette expert or Online appraisal expert from Hemmings!!

This car is in my opinion a very nice car from the photos. Well worth the purchase price but as was stated, if you are going to stop the madness.... Trash. Burn. eradicate stampings and enjoy the car and sell it later as a nice Black 67 SS

I'm Done

Last edited by MYSTERYCHEVELLE; 06-21-2019 at 02:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MYSTERYCHEVELLE For This Useful Post:
dustinm (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:36 PM

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

I can't understand how this stuff isn't illegal. It's fraud and should be treated that way. To me it's no different from counterfeit $100 bills.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:40 PM

The post above puts it perfectly - not sure if it could be said any better. Kind of makes me glad that I have owned my car since 96, and it has always been an original and unrestored car. Since several well known Camaro collectors have known about the car for years before I owned it, I am 100% secure in the provenance of the car.

That being said, cars like this make me kind of angry because they dilute the market for the honest, original cars out there, and they also make the notion of owning the real McCoy less attractive, simply because of all the hoops you have to jump through to make sure you are not getting taken. It's a sad state of affairs, with a lot of people sharing the blame.

I saw this article posted on the BAT site, and I thought it was interesting and a bit relevant to this discussion:

“These days, there are a lot of cars going through auctions, and trading hands, that are just fake. That’s just unfortunate. So I created the ultimate fake–a car that everyone knows there’s only one of. Yet here’s a second, completely documented car. It’s scary.

“When I first showed this car with the documentation, man, did I get an earful. I’m not trying to fool everyone. I’m just showing everyone that it’s being done. It’s something everyone knows is happening, but I’m one of the first to say ‘Hey, look at what’s going on.’ These days, you can’t really believe what you read anymore. You have to do your homework if you’re going to shell out for a big-bucks car, even with documentation.

“People are wondering whether I’m trying to rip someone off, but at the same time I’ve received plenty of pats on the back for standing in front of a clone instead of hiding behind it.”

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...t-camaro-z-28/
Old 06-21-2019, 02:56 PM

I would have bought that car for a nice driver probably throw some cragers and some slicks on the back for a DAY II look.it has circulated for several years I know I asked Crown about it long time ago. Most of the cars I buy have been though guys here at SYC and several have helped me verify and saved my butt a few times do not ever be afraid to ask for help!!!
69 COPO CHEVELLE 4 SPEED #S MATCH
69 COPO CAMARO #S MATCH SURVIVOR (BLACK)
69 COPO CAMARO (BLACK)
55 GASSER L88 4 SPEED
66 NOVA "UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
70 440 SIX PAK CHALLENGER SUPER STOCKER
2001 RVW/LDR TRANS AM 1020" BBC 8 SYSTEMS
Old 06-21-2019, 03:13 PM

That's a cool story. Big Al is where my Yenko ZL1 came from.