Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 02:29 AM

Maybe it's best if MPrice answered it. I'm interested in his opinion.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:41 AM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by x33rs View Post
It's all semantics. Doesn't bother me what anyone wants to call it.

To me Chevrolet just confuses the issue calling it a special ducted hood and the very next year called it cowl induction on the Chevelle.

Thinking of it in a literal sense a special ducted hood could apply to just about any style hood that grabs fresh air, from any place. They were all special for all models. At least calling it Cowl Induction or Cowl Plenum tells you "where" it's grabbing fresh air. With that said it seems to make the most sense, whether it's grabbing it through the rear facing scoop, or through a hole in the firewall, it's coming from the cowl area and you can differentiate it from other brand fresh air hoods.
I think that's why that moniker is heard the most. Interesting discussion though seeing different points of view on it. I say call it what ever makes the most sense to you. No matter how you refer to it, a real car guy will know what you're talking about, shucks even most non car guys know.
Chevy, like every other OEM learned that selling Muscle Cars was ALL about marketing: catching names for the cars and some of the options. They had been doing that for years with car colors.

Air Plenum and Ducted Hood are engineering terms. Super Scoop and Cowl Induction are marketing monikers. And when you ordered Cowl Induction for your 1970 Chevelle SS you also got stripes and hood pins along with the great Cowl Induction emblems on the hood bulge and that press on the gas and the door opens on the hood.

Order the "Air Grabber" option on your 1969 Road Runner or GTX and the screens covering the hood bulges with the engine callout emblems changed from black to red.

With all the hoopla and car magazines from that time period, the fact is . . . Muscle Cars represented less than 10% of total car sales. But you would never think that with all the money the car companies poured into car ads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
X66 714 (02-21-2021)