Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 10-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Default 1967 Camaro Console Gauges

I wanted to run this by you guys to see what you thought. I have a '67 RS/SS with all original interior except for the headliner and carpeting. It has a console with a Powerglide trans and an 8 track tape player, which does not work. I am thinking of replacing the 8 track with a reproduction console gauge assembly. What do you think, good idea or bad, since the car is basically original interior and restored to original exterior and drivetrain? Two of the so called idiot lights do not work also. I am thinking that I can have new gauges that work replacing an 8 track that doesn't. My car has an AM-FM radio that does work, and even if I can get the 8 track repaired, where am I going to find period music 8 track tapes to play in it.
Have any of you guys ever installed console gauges in a '67 Camaro that didn't come with them from the factory? I know I can get the gauge assembly and wiring harnesses, etc. If I go this route would you recommend connecting the console gauge assembly fuel gauge or leave the one in the right hand pod of the dash still operating as it works fine? Thank you for any and all input.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

The console gauge option automatically got the tach in the dash so I would definitely change the original fuel gauge for a tach to keep a factory look. You will also have to modify your existing console (not easy to do) or buy a new one to accept the way gauge pod attaches. One more commonly overlooked item when the console gauges are added to a car is the low fuel indicator (little piece of plastic) in the dash. It goes in one of the pods and I don't think it is reproduced.

It sounds like you appreciate the originality of the car so be sure and keep the 8 track (a very rare item on a 67!) and everything else you change out. The 8 track option is indicated on the trim tag so the Camaro purists will know it has been removed.
65 Impala 396/425
65 Triumph TR4 Original Family Owned
Old 10-05-2017, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the feed back. I didn't realize the low fuel indicator came with the gauge package, and I guess I never thought about what went in the right side pod (tach) if the fuel gauge was in the package on the console. I do want to keep the originality of my car as much as possible. That being said I think I will just leave the 8 track in it and get the two idiot lights that don't work repaired. Thanks again.