Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 06-18-2022, 09:12 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Tesla vs UAW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhaeloMTLA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lbnaz For This Useful Post:
Oldss (06-25-2022), olredalert (06-19-2022)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-25-2022, 01:06 AM
Yenko Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnaz View Post
Do we really need unions today? I understand why they were necessary back in the 30’s, 40’s etc. I know there are a lot of union workers on this site and I don’t want to upset those of you that are. But if you are valuable to your employer, I would think you would be compensated as such.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldss For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (06-27-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 01:12 AM
Yenko Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldss View Post
Do we really need unions today? I understand why they were necessary back in the 30’s, 40’s etc. I know there are a lot of union workers on this site and I don’t want to upset those of you that are. But if you are valuable to your employer, I would think you would be compensated as such.
Sorry, shouldn’t have commented. Wrong place for this.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:28 AM

Thanked 1,113 Times in 327 Posts

good choice Oldss. Sometimes my fingers type before my brain fully considers the possible reaction too. Just so you know - you can always edit your posts & remove things that you reconsider :-)
Old 06-25-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Sorry, shouldn’t have commented. Wrong place for this.
Seems a reasonable place to comment on the post that initiated the thread? Union worker here - not offended in the least little ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Tenney For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (06-27-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 07:16 PM

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
I grew up in Flint so I've been around the UAW my entire life. Some of my favorite aunts, uncles, cousins, in laws and parents were UAW represented GM hourly employees. My first real job, at age 19, was as a salaried foreman on the line at Chevrolet Flint Assembly, supervising about 30 hourly employees. I've launched new product in about a dozen GM assembly plants, of which I would consider Flint to be one of the most militant.

I've pondered your exact question many many times.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 06-25-2022, 07:56 PM

I don't blame Musk. Unions had their time and place. In todays society they are an unnecessary middle man IMO. My wife was in the union (she works for the county). All the union did was collect dues from her. In her 20years paying in. She felt it was a waste of her hard earned dollars as they never did a thing for her. They would have a meeting once a month with a lot of blah blah. Nothing ever seemed to materialize. I'm sure some in todays society benefit from their union. I could get political.. but this probably isn't the place
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula455SD For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 08:34 PM

Unions provide a lot of bargaining power and I've benefitted from all of them, health care, good retirement and a "call back list" that lets you float around to suit your needs from company to company, keeping all your benefit package within the union. A lot of construction shops are signatory to a local union but differ slightly or greatly in what they provide the market. Say, a sheetmetal worker that installs hvac commercially and a sheetmetal worker that hangs panel siding on a skyscraper.

The downside is corruption, there's a large pool of money wrapped up in a few areas within any local union. That has influence where it may not be in your best interests, but the union always has a political bias, and a member is assumed to comply....I rarely did.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:30 PM

Grew up in Detroit, lots of Unions. While it did some good it also has done some not so good. I told someone it reminds me of HR today……..
Old 06-26-2022, 12:25 AM

I agree will all your comments. I work for a company that has union and non-union workers doing the same type of work. The non-union techs are forced to answer their cell phones 24-7 unless they are on vacation. A non-union tech I worked with put a cot in his office. He works 60 to 80 hours a week. Most last 4 to 5 years before burnout. If they refuse to come in if called they are fired. The union workers are only forced till 49 hours. The company was able to cut the union jobs so far down by the union contract I wonder why I paid dues for 30 years. They replaced men with 15 to 20 years service with a new job title that cut wage and benefits. Those men had to go find new careers. Not all companies and unions are pro-workers.
The Following User Says Thank You to x44d80 For This Useful Post:
billj (06-26-2022)