Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 02-01-2021, 02:07 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Now we are on a great topic!!!

I suggest cut a significant hole in the floor and the trans tunnel so you can use any shifter you want.

I have an extra set of NOS straight rods..... (I don’t want to sell them but do enjoy helping with a shifter upgrade...)

I have a feeling the Street Super Shifter may be the right choose. (Were the shifters with the red handle sold after the push down for reverse style? If so I would go for the push down for reverse style. (I have one but NFS)

RamRod....

P&G...

Lots of fun to be had!!

Ryan W31

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan1969Chevelle For This Useful Post:
NorCam (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougA View Post
I can only relate experience on a 70-72 Chevelle tunnel, but have tried every shifter available, from old Comp Plus, to Hurst Vertigates, to Hurst Super Shifter, and even a Dale Earnhardt Nascar billet Super Shifter, and what I'm using now, a Long Vertigate. Any straight line shifter will require tunnel surgery on a Chevelle, and others probably. Depends on the diameter of rods, whether you are using heim joints, how much surgery, tunnel clearance is very close. Have had to cut all the way to the gas pedal on some.
Have owned nothing but 3 pedal hot rods since the 60's. PITA, but worth it.
Youtube is with a H pattern Super Shifter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vMnf7EugAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWk9NdlWxvM
Bernhard wrote:
Nice!
DougA (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 02:54 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Ryan, I thought the original super shifters were pushed down for reverse but it turns out they were not equipped like that. After a couple more revisions it appears that Hurst came out with the red detent lever and the name later became Super Shifter 3. I was told the new versions being made today also had a push down reverse lockout but it appears that isn't accurate either. I think those are now called the Street Super Shifters? Does that sound right? Personally, I like the Super Shifter 3 series for that bright red handle that pulls up for reverse.

I'm also a big fan of the RamRod but do not think they are well suited on the street. That and the novelty of that trigger would soon become a pain in the arse to me. I had one that I mocked up a couple of years ago and while I still think they are cool...I could only see that lasting a week with me on the street. Maybe less as I like rowing through an H pattern.

Last edited by NorCam; 02-05-2021 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1969Chevelle View Post
Now we are on a great topic!!!

I suggest cut a significant hole in the floor and the trans tunnel so you can use any shifter you want.

I have an extra set of NOS straight rods..... (I don’t want to sell them but do enjoy helping with a shifter upgrade...)

I have a feeling the Street Super Shifter may be the right choose. (Were the shifters with the red handle sold after the push down for reverse style? If so I would go for the push down for reverse style. (I have one but NFS)

RamRod....

P&G...

Lots of fun to be had!!

Ryan W31

Bernhard wrote:
Are you using aftermarket shifter rods?
Old 02-01-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Bernhard wrote:
Are you using aftermarket shifter rods?
I own a set but have yet to try them.

Ryan W31

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 02-02-2021, 03:54 AM

Hoping to add some install pictures to this thread next week sometime. That'll include shots of the tunnel mods.

Last edited by NorCam; 02-02-2021 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:20 PM

fyi the street super shifter currently available from Hurst new does not have any type of reverse lock out at all. it does have the straight rods but not the heavy duty reinforced ones.
NorCam (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 01:27 PM

That's good to know. I thought the current version still had some sort of lockout. I was mistaken on that so I now see. Thanks
Old 02-04-2021, 11:39 PM

The original Hurst Super Shifter 1 which was released circa 1971/72 was nothing more than a Hurst Competion Plus Body that was mounted high up off the transmission tailhousing and used a short 7” straight bolt on handle. This Super shifter 1 used a flat plate bracket and 3 solid spacers & grade 8 bolts. It used straight rods with a length of tubing over them, and conventional Hurst tags/swivels/bushings & clips. The tubing was crimped in the middle for retention. This 1st design Super Shifter did not use a push down for reverse and it said Hurst Competion Plus on it.

The Super Shifter 2 released approx 1974/75 ? was redesigned to fix issues with the bracket coming loose on tailhousing after repeated slamming of gears, and it used a redesigned mounting bracket that consisted of a piece of channel welded to the flat plate that eliminated the spacers. The shifter body said Super Shifter on it and was redesigned with push down reverse lockout function and had a small coil type spring located at the front on the bottom of the shifter body, this Super Shifter 2 also used 1-2/3-4 shift rods with crimped tubing. It had a tendency to pull the reverse lever slightly when slamming 3rd gear and you had to absolutely make sure the stops were set perfect or it tried to move the reverse rod ( causing grinding ) probably due to the spring causing load or friction between the internal body 3/4 & reverse levers.

The Super Shifter 3 used redesigned rods that were threaded where the clips go and used thin nylon type crimp nuts & wave spring washers and the body was redesigned and it no longer used the push down reverse function, it used the red handle positive reverse lockout , no idea the release date on it. It used a similar bracket as the Super Shifter 2, but stronger design.

Graeme you will have to cut a small horizontal notch in tunnel approx 4-6” long for the 3/4 rod as it leaves shifter body towards tag, you will also have to notch the tunnel somewhat for the shifter body and bracket . You can tweak/bend/pry the side of the tunnel somewhat to clearance for the 3-4 rod as it approaches the side cover tag. We just used to let the carpet cover this small slot. Keep the piece you cut out of tunnel, it can be welded back in if you ever decide to go back to original.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rszmjt For This Useful Post:
69 Post Sedan (02-26-2022), NorCam (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:59 PM

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

It may be because my car is a big block car and has the offset cross member, but I didn't have to cut a slot in mine for the shifter rod to clear. I used a dead blow hammer to move the tunnel a little so the rod would clear. The small block cross member may not allow enough room for this.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
NorCam (02-05-2021)