Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Ebay & other seen ads section

Please note

Old 04-27-2020, 05:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Kurt...
Old 04-27-2020, 06:36 PM

Thanked 2,547 Times in 1,171 Posts

Just from what Kurt and Mike posted, I think I can answer most of the questions Phil asked:

1. Is this a fake body plate?
Yes. Kurt called it a repro. Mike called it a repop. That means a plate produced after the fact (most likely by Trimtags.com).

2. Is it a repop body plate?
Yes. Just a matter of semantics. Personally, I think terms "repop" and "repro" or even "reproduction" are too mild as descriptive terms regarding a plate that has been produced after the fact that is not original to the car. I always refer to it as a fake. But that's just me. I always know when Kurt uses the term "repro" exactly what he means.

3. Is there an issue with the line up of the VIN against the fisher body number on the body plate?
Not sure, but I doubt it. Most of the fake tags use the same ident number that was on the real tag. I could be wrong on this, but virtually every fake tag I have had any experience with used the same number as the real tag it replaced.

4. Was the plate switched from a real car onto the hulk?
No, or it would have been referred to as a "swapped tag", and not a repro or repop tag.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:28 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

While I appreciate the demonstration in Apologetics I am well aware of the reasons that Lynn posted above.

However I am not the one out on a limb here stating conclusively that the body plate included with the auction creates a fraudulent looking sale.

Guys to be fair If I offer an opinion or the Norwood Retirees offer an opinion we are subjected to the virtual colonoscopy by a few of the aligned members of another forum.

-----------

So the question remains: Why is it a repop?

Is it the font?
The size and the shape variation of the embossment?

Cut us all in here.. or perhaps given the relative statistically small percentage of body plates in the CRG data base as compared to 1969 production -there may be some uncertainty as to the strength of the reproduction argument?

And there is the potential that I already know the guy who ran the embossing machine for Fisher Body at Norwood.. .

I think offering an informed opinion is a vastly safer position to take when you were not there and do not have first hand knowledge that you are willing to share

Framing a discussion as an informed opinion becomes critical when you will not state the basis for a hard claim.
The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
outlawperformance (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 10:22 PM

Thanked 5,976 Times in 2,915 Posts

The point is simple - there is no need to share this in a public forum. The CRG doesn’t get paid to appraise old Camaros and there’s no financial incentive in it for them, so Kurt would have no reason to misrepresent something he felt confident enough about to state here.

Let’s watch what we say here so guys like Kurt continue to speak openly.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scuncio For This Useful Post:
GaryC (04-28-2020), m22mike (04-27-2020), X66 714 (04-28-2020), Z15 SS 454 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 11:13 PM

It seems odd when someone makes a statement and someone wants some clarification everyone gets quiet and defensive. So who is really right at this point? I'm not stirring the pot just trying to understand why this is so secretive and why only a select view know or don't really know. We're all car guys just trying to understand and get smarter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outlawperformance For This Useful Post:
chris slawski (04-27-2020), scuncio (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 11:40 PM

This is about as clear as can be stated why not share “ publicly”. I think it’s a fairly straightforward reason?

“The more information that is released as to "why" make it easier on the people who create these forgeries...Joe”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crush For This Useful Post:
chris slawski (04-27-2020), X66 714 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 11:47 PM

Thanked 5,976 Times in 2,915 Posts

Because we have to assume this site, like many others, is frequented by a few unscrupulous people who seek this information to turn a profit. I don’t get why this is so surprising or contentious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawperformance View Post
It seems odd when someone makes a statement and someone wants some clarification everyone gets quiet and defensive. So who is really right at this point? I'm not stirring the pot just trying to understand why this is so secretive and why only a select view know or don't really know. We're all car guys just trying to understand and get smarter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scuncio For This Useful Post:
Crush (04-27-2020), GaryC (04-28-2020), KLars1 (04-28-2020), X66 714 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 12:02 AM

Hey folks-
to kind of stick a fork in this and call it done. I had posted the ebay listing because i was interested in the car, only reason being that it was represented as a X22 car, which would be perfect for the L78 "bitsa" powertrain i have sitting in my garage. My interest is i am 50 years old, a young buck compared to some folks here, and i want to expand my knowledge, not get in a pissing contest over who may be right or wrong.
To put this in perspective, i work for an OEM that if one...just one dealer questions something that is 100 percent correct, i still get questioned on it, so i always want to know "why"
As far as criminals trolling the site, i would not worry about data plate information the way some folks here rip a car up one side and down the other from a few pictures.
so get off the high horses, the cars with provenance will always have it, 100% all the time, it is as simple as black and white, we are talking about a "grey" car here it will never have the provenance to be a 100k car.
I took it upon myself to do a side by side comparision of the data plate from the auction, and the data plate from my old LM1 car. I was able to spot some differences, weather i am right or wrong....now i can be dangerous and say "from my 35 years with these cars" what is a real plate or a repop.
shame we can't all get along in this together.....but some folks will always be
"these are my toys, and you can't play with them"
69 Camaro RS
69 Camaro SS 396

Last edited by chris slawski; 04-28-2020 at 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-28-2020, 12:06 AM

Thanked 2,547 Times in 1,171 Posts

When Roy Sinor was with NCRS, they found something like 29 data points on the fake tags (or plates) and were able to spot them easily. After a lot of clamoring and pleading (I believe mostly from guys who bought cars with fake tags unknowingly, and refused to believe they were duped) they released information on just a few (something like 6... would have to ask Roy again). Within weeks the fake tag makers had corrected all the issues made public.

Is that what we want? Do we really want every little tag pointed out on a public forum? The fakers will then be able to make the perfect fake.

I know I don't want that.
X66 714 (04-28-2020), Z15 SS 454 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 12:19 AM

Chris,

You did the right thing with the comparisons of the tags and you learned something from that.

I do not believe this is a pissing contest at all and I really believe if you sent Kurt, Jonsey or others your question they would gladly speak with you on that.... Especially if you were interested in the car.

Any of your posts that I have read have always been kind, informative posts and I dont believe anyone is not commenting on your questions to be a donkey.

I truly believe they are really trying not to have the info in an open forum for some jag offs to get an education on how to perfect their "craft"
1970 LS6 Chevelle Matching #s Project
2001 LS1 Camaro SS SOM Stock
2008 LS3 Sierra Denali Blk Stock