Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 01-19-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: 1967 Camaro Pace Car

Excellent theorizing..Besides the published books do you have any thoughts on the validity of the clear coat?
Old 01-19-2004, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On another note . . . anyone see a hole punch in the bottom of a trim plate ?? about the size of a 1/8" punch ?? I have seen this on many trim plates, not a ton, but more than a few . . . any ideas ??

[/ QUOTE ]

CRG has been tracking this for some time now. At this point it just looks like the only think in common is that they are in groups throughout the year.

As far as the dash goes, we have data on more than a dozen cars that have the dash that are not pace cars. Looks like it was just used for some kind of special order purposes.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:56 PM

Oh and by the way JoeC,,I could get used to calling my smallblock pacer a COPO! But that might be splitting hairs
Old 01-19-2004, 07:49 PM

Thanked 1,657 Times in 486 Posts

I almost didn't use the term "COPO" because the magazines have blown up the term into a name for hi po 427 and LT1 cars that gets people over-excided but really there were a lot of "COPO" cars and trucks made for fleet and special orders that could not be built as RPO. It is unfortunate that Chevy didn’t keep better records of all the special vehicles they built but it would have been a huge record-keeping task.
The non Pace cars with dash on trim tags may be some type of special fleet order but nothing to do with racing. I read that some of the zones would get dealers together and order a fleet of cars with colors or options that were not available with RPO. They would run some type of local promotional campaign to sell the cars and build showroom traffic. I remember reading about special zone orders not only GM but others auto co.
Chevy took the 67 Pace car program very seriously. Looking through the GM documentation they mention the Central Office a few times. They even had a “Central Office Headquarters Room” at the Speedway Motel and set up a blanket purchase order so any cost to the Indy zones can be “ rebilled to Chevrolet Central Office Merchandising Department”. I would love to see those bills going by stories I have read about race car drivers and promo cars.
There is no mention of clear coat cars in these docs but I read somewhere else that the cars used at the speedway had factory clear coat. Maybe because of the sandblasting effect of running around the Indy track at high speed? Not sure about that but you know there must have been some hi speed runs in the Camaro L78s.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:25 PM

I just found another ad for the same car on Collector Car Trader.

Note the term "Pace Car Appearance"?

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/62485328.htm
Old 01-19-2004, 09:33 PM

I called about this car about a year ago and they said it was NOT a real pace car.just the decals were added.
71 SS LS5 chevelle
Old 01-20-2004, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There were Canadian Pace Cars built and they were all built during the 3rd week of June. Those cars came with the blue striping like the 300 or so US built pace cars. Roughly 110 were used at the track during the month of May and some 200 or so were ordered by dealers. The dealer cars had the C-1 paint code and the Festival track cars all had the 0-1 paint code. The Canadian cars had the 0-1 paint code as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 11 small block Canadian pacecars (out of 22 built, plus the AJ Foyt replacement Pacecar with A/C) weren't even SS'es. They were all LF7 327/210HP Rally sports. Just a little tidbit of little known info.

Don't qoute me the old USCC article that says they were L48 RS/SS'es, because its wrong, I've seen the GM of Canada paperwork on these. None of the SB cars are SS'es.

My Pace Car
Old 01-20-2004, 12:39 AM

JoeC great info.. I'm curious where info like the Zone office purchase order etc. comes from. I've heard tales of maybe a GM list of Festival cars and VINs could emerge? it would be great to get some solid figures on production for a change..It's so odd that so many have been found compared to say 67 Z28's where more than twice as many were made yet so few have made " The registry "..I think the distinctive colors of the Pacers vs the Z's and the abuse the Z's would have experienced has something to do with it but that doesn't seem to be enough of a reason.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:46 AM

That would be news to me on the Canadian cars..The only reason they are on the registry is because of found paperwork, not found cars! I've never seen a Canadian Pacer..I'd like to see one that has rs not ss..Please prove this to me..If true thanks very much! Anyone have figures on actual discovered or documented Canadian cars? ..I'm guessing 3 and all bigblocks (ss's of course)
Old 01-20-2004, 01:01 AM

Actually I was probably being to harsh on the old USCC article, if you look at the options listed in that article (which does include the VIN's of all 22 or them) in there for the small block cars you don't see either, Z27, or L48 listed. Everyone just assumed they were SS's.

And of course the 396 cars are RS/SS's.

My Pace Car