Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 01-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default '79 Trans Am 400 4-spd, factory black paint

1979 PONTIAC TRANS AM 4-SPEED WITH PONTIAC 400 ENGINE

* Rare L-78 400 4-speed Trans Am, one of approximately 1,806 produced

* Black with silver/red bird and graphics, and black hobnail cloth interior

* W-72 performance package includes WS-6 Suspension with 4 wheel disc brakes

* Air conditioning

* 49,450 ORIGINAL miles, documented two owner car

* No T-tops, no power windows, no power door locks, no rear defrost

* Silver snowflake wheels

* Factory paint, with exception of both doors that have been refinished

* Has never been wrecked or in an accident

* All numbers match, survivor car

* Balanced/blueprinted conversion of original 400 engine block to 455

* Forged TRW pistons, longer duration cam, 3 angle valve job, new clutch

The car has an interesting history. I purchased this car on November 13, 1987, from the original owner, Mr. Gainer Maines of Red Oak, Iowa. The car had 14,176 original miles when I purchased it. Mr. Maines was the President of the Houghton State Bank of Red Oak, and this car was one of four used as collateral by Mr. Maines to secure a loan on which he subsequently defaulted through a divorce. I purchased all four vehicles from the bank, to include: (1) 1979 Pontiac Trans Am, (2) 1983 Buick Riviera Convertible, (3) 1982 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible, (4) a GMC Jimmy 4x4. I kept the Trans Am and Lebaron Convertible, and sold the Riviera and Jimmy.

Mr. Maines purchased the car new to drive in the Cannonball Run, a cross-country road rally in the early 80’s. I have one black and white photo of his son posing with the car, taken during the Cannonball Run. After the rally was complete, the car saw limited driving, and was kept as a collector piece. Mr. Maines purposefully ordered the car with very few options, as it was PERFORMANCE that he had in mind. As you will note, the car does NOT have T-tops, power windows, power door locks, rear defrost, or AM/FM stereo. This is clearly demonstrative of the car’s “stripper” intent. The only options on the car are performance options: W72 performance option that includes the WS-6 suspension and 4-wheel disk brakes, 4-speed transmission, Pontiac 400 engine. And the car DOES have air conditioning.

Before entering the Cannonball Run, Mr. Maines removed the factory exhaust system, to include the catalytic converters, and installed a straight-through system for a nice sound and enhanced performance. That system remains on the car today.

I drove the car during the years 1988 through 1992. During these four years, the car was driven daily during the summers only, and stored during the winters. It was retired in 1992, and has been in storage for the last 14 years.

In 1990, while racing a Taurus SHO on Interstate 80 between Omaha and Lincoln, I spun a bearing. The car was put on a flatbed trailer, and taken back to the shop. The engine was removed and rebuilt using 0.30 over TRW forged pistons, and a longer duration cam. It received a 3 angle valve job. The engine was blueprinted, and the entire reciprocating mass was balanced. The original engine block was bored 0.30 over, and a crankshaft from a Pontiac 455 was purchased and machined (welded up the main journal) such that the original matching numbers 400 engine was properly converted to a 455. The heads were surfaced, which decreased the volume of the combustion chambers enough to raise the compression ratio to approximately 9.2:1. The clutch and throwout bearing were also replaced while the engine was out.

For two years I drove the car after the engine modification, and it was an animal. Though I never ran the car in the quarter mile, it would likely have been capable of runing in the low to mid-13’s. It would break the tires loose at will in both first and second gear, and third gear in the rain. It was a torque monster.

The car has never been wrecked. It still wears FACTORY PAINT, with the exception of both doors, which were refinished due to a few door dings. All decals are factory originals. The most significant flaws in the body of the car are: (1) a chip in the paint on the edge of the driver’s door, (2) a small ding in the top of one of the fenders, (3) a small ding in the top of the hood. Otherwise, the body is in excellent condition, with NO RUST. The factory decals are likewise in excellent condition, with no delamination or peeling. The factory glass is perfect. The factory interior is perfect, has never been smoked in, and does not smell. The engine turned aluminum dash is perfect. The factory trunk is perfect. The factory donut spare and inflator kit have never been removed. The undercarriage and engine bay show as you would expect for a 49,450 mile car. The straight-through exhaust system is badly corroded and requires replacement.

The brakes currently go almost all the way to the floor. Either it needs to be bled (still has original brake fluid) or needs a new master cylinder.

The car currently wears Goodyear Eagle GT tires that have plenty of tread left. But they have not been driven since 1996, so are probably dried and flat-spotted, and require replacement.

The Borg-Warner Super T-10 4 speed transmission (with factory Hurst shifter) has the factory reverse lock-out feature. The car has not been driven since 1996, and the lock-out is locked in place, and will require some work. The factory rear-end has the 3.23:1 ratio.

To summarize, the car needs: (1) new exhaust system, (2) new tires, (3) work on the reverse lock-out, (4) brake bleed or new master cylinder, (5) new battery. With these things, you will have a mostly factory paint, clean and rare two owner 1979 Trans Am 4 speed with the original matching-numbers engine that has been converted to a STRONG running 455.

Please note: The car has been in dead storage in Omaha since 1996, and has not been driven or started for the last 9 years. Buyer will be responsible for getting the car out of storage.

PRICE: $12,900

Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 182477-car24_jpg.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:29 PM

Default Re: '79 Trans Am 400 4-spd, factory black paint

Additional photos and info can be found at:

www.norosion.com/79-ta.htm

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:28 AM

Car is now on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...fromZR40QQfviZ1

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Rathbone

Are you going to relist this car?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:15 AM

I believe that car is sold!
Old 01-27-2006, 05:26 AM

Hi, yes I had to relist it because I accidentally set my reserve too low on the first listing. The new listing is at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...E%3AIT&rd=1

We're getting very close to the reserve price now, so it should be loose and selling soon!

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:08 AM

Let me begin by saying I am no expert on Trans Am Firebirds. Having said that, I think I remember that in 1979 if you wanted a 4sp you got the Olds 403 motor, if you wanted a Pontiac 400 you had to get a automatic. Please correct me if I am wrong, like I said I am no expert and I am not positive I am remembering this correctly.

72 SS 350 4spd Camaro
74 Z28 Automatic
80 Z28 4spd
94 Z28 Automatic
Old 01-27-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me begin by saying I am no expert on Trans Am Firebirds. Having said that, I think I remember that in 1979 if you wanted a 4sp you got the Olds 403 motor, if you wanted a Pontiac 400 you had to get a automatic. Please correct me if I am wrong, like I said I am no expert and I am not positive I am remembering this correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have it backwards; if you ordered the Pontiac 400 you got a 4-spd; if you ordered an automatic you got a 403 Olds. My parents bought a '79 TA with a 403 brand new. Not the most powerful car in the world but it did handle extremely well for a car it's size and weight.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:29 PM

SEE I told you I was no expert, LOL. I knew there was something about the 79 and the 400 motor, I just did not remember it correctly. I knew someone on this site would have the answer though!

72 SS 350 4spd Camaro
74 Z28 Automatic
80 Z28 4spd
94 Z28 Automatic
Old 01-27-2006, 04:45 PM

This is completely off the subject but, another legendary car from the North Hills area (Pittsburgh) was a 1979 Black TransAm that got a nasty 427 with a Dana 60 rearend in 1981. A year later the 427 was pulled and a 454 with a 671 blower was put in. This is the fastest street car I have ever driven, it was truly a car that would break the tires loose in 4th gear (295-50-15 BFG's) later he ran slicks on the street with some success at getting some traction although they still had to be heated to have any chance of hooking up. I think it was driven a couple dozen times and then parked for a few years (college interferes with life) and then finally sold. I do not know where it ended up.

72 SS 350 4spd Camaro
74 Z28 Automatic
80 Z28 4spd
94 Z28 Automatic