Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-29-2009, 07:59 AM

Default What is this SBC intake manifold?

Anybody help me to identify an intake manifold that came with a motor I purchased awhile back (MA Camaro motor) with aluminum heads. Doesn't appear to be the Smokey Edelbrock version, I think it may be one of the Chevrolet ones, but can't find any numbers on it at all. Anybody recognize or can help me identify or what to look for to see if it was one built by GM around 1970? Thanks for the great site! [image][/image] [image][image] [image][/image] [image][/image]
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 400739-sy-1.JPG
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: What is this SBC intake manifold?

It's a SY-1 Edelbrock, also called a Smokey Ram, supposedly designed with help from Smokey Yunick. Someone probably didn't want any name or numbers on it and ground them off. Early ones had threaded pipe plugs in the sides of the casting, later ones had pressed in freeze plugs on the sides.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,605 Posts

------Whats up with the breather off of the fuel-pump boss??? All these years and I have never seen that......Bill S
Old 04-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Offenhauser also made a similar intake with three different lids. One was like the Chevy two four setup, one with the single four like this one and then one where you could add three webers or similar carbs. Unless the numbers and letters have been removed, the Edelbrock SY1 and the Offy were clearly identified, as was the Chevy intake.
Check this out. It too has the square indent and the long narrow one on the opposite side of the carb flange. http://victorylibrary.com/graphics/SY1.JPG
Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. Had to laugh on the breather tube comment. With the yellow JD paint and breather tube that it might be some type of Tractor puller motor (no offense to any tractor pullers on the board). Appears with the 2 bends and next to the block must me some type of aftermarket breather. No holes in the valve covers, so that may be their breather.

I thought at first as well that someone ground off the Edelbrock casting name/numbers. If they did, they did a heck of a good job as not noticeable. This top has 4 holes for different carbs bolt patterns while Edelbrocks have 8. Probably need to pull off to see whats underneath. The casting looks like this link, but they all seem to resemble each other between brands.

http://www.guinns-engineering.com/Ri...0Prototype.htm
Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 AM

I have an SY-1, I have had this intake for almost 20 yrs. One of these days I will install on a DZ 302 and install in my Z/28.

Wayne
Attached Images