Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Letter from Joel Rosen

If someone had a catalog car - and had documentation showing the purchase of the parts from Motion - then having Joel bless the car would be OK, i assume?

Is this a fair assumption?

One the other side - if you have the documentation of the purchase of the parts - then why do you need Joel to bless the car?? Maybe like the guys having jerry Macneish certify a X33 camaro as real Z28??

I would be upset if because a car had no avail data via Joel and once it changed hands, it sas then blessed - (without further data avail) ... That would clearly make the process seem to be influenced by certain people and placing double on the integrity of the certification.

68 COPO Camaro 9737 non-converted YENKO
69 YENKO SC Camaro, Hugger Orange - born with engine!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 AM

Jude-
not sure how you could conclude that joel doesn't have or share invoices or available information on cars?
can you share how you can say this with certainty?
i think you are factually incorrect.

also, my understanding is that Joel is not opposed to inspecting a car in person.
have you heard otherwise?
has he turned down someone willing to ship a car to him or pay for his expenses to visit a car on site?
He is 70+ yrs old, has had back surgery and runs a business day to day.
Again, i'm pleased he is still willing to spend time assisting us and the hobby.

Rich-
sounds like you had a disappointing experience. Sorry to hear that. If you wish to discuss further, would love to understand what you shared with Joel (owner history, NICB, physical evidence, etc) to learn more. Im also curious why he didn't write a letter.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Ed, I think most of us would consider a car with Motion bolt-on parts more of a clone than an in-house Motion Perf modified car with a huge diff in it's value.
Adam, I have a copy of the ebay listing for 136370F180xxx from when it was in AZ. The seller stated that he spoke with Joel, paid the $1500, but he 'could not locate any records on that car or many other cars he modified 30 yrs ago'. I know that after it was purchased, a more complete catalog of physical evidence was given to Joel and then it received a letter confirming it's provenance. I'm in agreement that this one is real and think nicb could have helped persuade him to sign off on it.
Been a while, but I also recall an Iceland Vette, a Buick, 396 Nova and recently heard that the ebay Iowa Chevelle got blessed. While they all may be Motion, I don't ever recall seeing or hearing about any actual work order invoices....and, that's my point.

Regarding Dan's car, one would think Joel could remember it very easily....color change from Seq Green to black, dyed interior from green to black, poss winged spoiler/holes in deck lid, tow tabs, HD radiator, special shifter and it was a 68 Nova. Clearly one would remember a car like this, or say 'NO-not one we did'...but maybe? C'mon
Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atuckman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rich- sounds like you had a disappointing experience. Sorry to hear that. If you wish to discuss further, would love to understand what you shared with Joel (owner history, NICB, physical evidence, etc) to learn more. Im also curious why he didn't write a letter.
</div></div>

If you know him then maybe you can ask him? I've never had a call returned, but I did have several people call and ask to buy the car before I got the N*CB report.

Mr Brother and I, after getting the maybe, called Joel for a few months wanting a letter, along with the previous owner of the car. I even offered an additional paperwork fee if that's what it took to get the letter.

I'd still like that letter, yes, no or maybe.

Since then I have been able to get an N*CB report on this car, and it came back Curry Chevrolet, near Baldwin. I suspect it may have been just a catalog or brought in car, who knows but Curry did advertise HiPo cars.

I really don't care if the answer is a no. It is what it is, but after paying good money I expect some form of paperwork. That's why I personally have a bad taste about this.

At the same time, I also paid Jerry to inspect the car and got paperwork and a report. Of course, nothing to do with motion, but that the car is an authentic Hugger Orange, X66D80, Radio Delete (I know incorrect term) car in &quot;Day 2 Trim&quot;. Point is, I expect something for my money, not just a phone call.

Car is N661188
Dealer Showed as 27079

RichP
Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69LM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atuckman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rich- sounds like you had a disappointing experience. Sorry to hear that. If you wish to discuss further, would love to understand what you shared with Joel (owner history, NICB, physical evidence, etc) to learn more. Im also curious why he didn't write a letter.
</div></div>

If you know him then maybe you can ask him? I've never had a call returned, but I did have several people call and ask to buy the car before I got the N*CB report.

Mr Brother and I, after getting the maybe, called Joel for a few months wanting a letter, along with the previous owner of the car. I even offered an additional paperwork fee if that's what it took to get the letter.

I'd still like that letter, yes, no or maybe.

Since then I have been able to get an N*CB report on this car, and it came back Curry Chevrolet, near Baldwin. I suspect it may have been just a catalog or brought in car, who knows but Curry did advertise HiPo cars.

I really don't care if the answer is a no. It is what it is, but after paying good money I expect some form of paperwork. That's why I personally have a bad taste about this.

At the same time, I also paid Jerry to inspect the car and got paperwork and a report. Of course, nothing to do with motion, but that the car is an authentic Hugger Orange, X66D80, Radio Delete (I know incorrect term) car in &quot;Day 2 Trim&quot;. Point is, I expect something for my money, not just a phone call.

Car is N661188
Dealer Showed as 27079

RichP </div></div>
Rich, That Camaro looks awesome!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 AM

My only contribution to the conversation is that back in the early 90's I went o look at a Motion built(in 76) Phase 3 72 Camaro. It was an original paint car with every nut and bolt original,it just needed fresh paint. The car had every Motion invoice for the conversion as well as all the later upkeep done at Motion. None of the paperwork had a VIN or license plate number on it,just &quot;Blue Camaro&quot;. Since the car was so original and untouched with every piece from the day it was converted in it's original dusty state,the car didn't need any furher authentication,but had the owner sent to Joel for papers,it would not have included any numbers specific info. BTW,the owner cut up the car and scrapped it. He wanted $5500 for it and got no takers,and took the engine out and sold it to a local drag racer. t was such a nice car. It had wheel flares all around with wide turbine mags(road race look) and the only thing wrong with the entire car was the filler work on the flares was starting to bubble. he rest of the car was spotless and it ran like new. What a shame. I still have a copy of the paperwork somewhere.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RichSchmidt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only contribution to the conversation is that back in the early 90's I went o look at a Motion built(in 76) Phase 3 72 Camaro. It was an original paint car with every nut and bolt original,it just needed fresh paint. The car had every Motion invoice for the conversion as well as all the later upkeep done at Motion. None of the paperwork had a VIN or license plate number on it,just &quot;Blue Camaro&quot;. Since the car was so original and untouched with every piece from the day it was converted in it's original dusty state,the car didn't need any furher authentication,but had the owner sent to Joel for papers,it would not have included any numbers specific info. BTW,the owner cut up the car and scrapped it. He wanted $5500 for it and got no takers,and took the engine out and sold it to a local drag racer. t was such a nice car. It had wheel flares all around with wide turbine mags(road race look) and the only thing wrong with the entire car was the filler work on the flares was starting to bubble. he rest of the car was spotless and it ran like new. What a shame. I still have a copy of the paperwork somewhere. </div></div>

Could you send it to me?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-15-2013, 06:29 PM

One of these days I will find it. I have a ton of old stuff in my parent's basement that I need to sort thru before they throw it out. I have mentioned this paper a few times,and when I find it I will probably start it's own tread here.

Just in case you were looking for something specific,the best I can remember was that the name of the owner that had the conversion done was something along the line of Emelio Marciano from Patterson NJ. If I remember correctly the car started life as a 1972 blue base model 307 automatic powered car (VIN would have been 1Q87F2N). They kept the original 10 bolt(not sure if it was a factory posi or the added the posi) and put 4.10 gears in it and added the Superbite suspention. I believe the trans was swapped to a th400. It was called a Phase 3,but I think it might have been listed as 475 hp not 550. I think it was a 10.25:1 LS-6 crate motor with a cam and Torker intake on it with a 3 barrel 950 carb and fly eye air cleaner. I believe it had 15x10 Turbine mags under the wheel flares,it had S.W. gauges,and I believe a wood steering wheel. he job out the door with the Motion stripe paint was $10,600,that was just the conversion. It was done in 1976.