Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-10-2008, 05:49 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default GM Historical

I remember reading somewhere that GM has some historical information for cars. Not sure what years that it started at but I do remember looking up the phone number.
Is my memory that bad or am I remembering correctly? If so does anyone have the information?
Thanks,
Paul
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 310835-4274speed1969.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:57 AM

Default Re: GM Historical

Are you thinking of the Canadian cars ? Any Car built or shipped into Canada , GM Canada has documentation that you can phone in and typically recieve a faxed copy back within 24 Hrs ? George Zapora is the guy and I can get the number for you if you want ?
Lately into Beaumont SD's, 66,67,68 and 69 , including a 69 2 Dr Post Beaumont , an L78 2 Dr Post Chevelle LS6 Chevelle's, LS6 and L78 El Camino and Camaro fan ! Also 2 Cdn Documented COPO's, a COPO Camaro and COPO Chevelle Love GM Products
Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 AM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

I think he's talking about a GM Restoration Package.
They offer this Free service to owners of Vintage GM Vehicles as long as you supply the full VIN# of said vehicle you own.
I ordered one for my 1970 Chevelle over 10 years ago,and was frustrated to realize they just sent me B&W Xeroxed pages from the 1970 Chevrolet Salesmans Album,1970 Dealer Brochure,1970 Acc. Catalog,as well as from various other generic materials about the 1970 Chevelle.(I already have it)..Things like headroom measurements,vehicle weight,engine specs,interior/exterior color choices,options available & Chassis measurements etc.Nothing specific to your particular VIN# or vehicles history.
Don't get me wrong as it's handy info to have,but they interview you like this is privy information for only a select few soon coming your way,plus I'd rather have the actual materials they took it from,if that's all they are going to send me anyway.
It's nothing at all like George Z. supplies at Vintage Vehicle services for a small fee.
You can get a Free 8X10 Restoration Package for most any US built Vehicle at no cost to you,from GM/Chevrolet.Simply call the Chevy/Geo customer assistance hotline at (800)222-1020 or 810-696-4800.Have your VIN handy,they may or may not ask for it.Delivery is 2-4 weeks but I received mine in less then 10 days back in 1995.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Can GM's Canadian Historical service provide any further information other than what they send out? I'm sure George is a busy guy but I would almost bet more information is available to him then what is provided. It would be nice to get power train breakdowns etc. The reason I suspect the information is still available is some of you may have seen that rotted 69 Pontiac 2+2 427 4 speed. The owner of that car wrote GM in the mid 70's to find out how many were built with that power train. He received a letter back with producton numbers (10 IIRC). I suspect with some digging many details about our cars could be discovered. Perhaps GM could open up the records to the public for a fee. The Studebaker museum in South Bend has all the same information and folks are able to sort through it all if they wish.
Todd
Old 01-10-2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the relplies.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 AM

See attached . . .
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 AM

A few yrs after Morley's letter,Oshawa told me the number built was ten.And I have two different docs showing that.Can't be sure which is True.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:22 AM

I have the GM of Canada information on our SS396 Chevelle. It is a 13437 300 Deluxe hardtop of which 2673 were sold new in Canada in 1969 with no breakdown as far as options or drivetrain go. I got the documentation for our other Chevelle back in 1988. It didn't give this information nor the selling dealer. You just never know what all information they have.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:06 AM

GM has invoices on cars starting in 1977. I ordered a copy of the build sheet for dads old 77 Z/28 awhile ago. They stated there is nothing available prior to '77. I can get the number if you still want it.

This is not a Canadian built only thing, dads car was built in California.
Lewis
Old 01-13-2008, 02:01 AM

Initially, the GM Canada Vintage package was free. In the early 90's they started charging for it, but provided considerably more info than when it was no charge. They also stopped providing the 'vehicles shipped' sheets which had complete info not only on the car being documented, but on up to 50 others. Just imagine what the 'klone kings' could do with these. One page I have has 10 L79 Chevy IIs on it.....VINS, paint/trim codes, engine numbers, options, even the key codes. Scary!
George Zapora has made it clear to me that they won't provide detailed info for research projects, registry's, books, etc., even if you want to pay for it. You can only get documentation on a specific car based on the VIN you provide. It's unfortunate more isn't available, but it's still a fantastic resource to have, so we're not complaining.
Bob